PDA

View Full Version : Bringing back "deep" color

TheGuyWho
01-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Ok, so I posted another thread a few days ago about "compounds" But I think my issue has now evolved enough to post a different thread…
I have a Ford Mustang with the "Lazer Red" paint color. Its a risk/reward paint. If its taken care of its one of the most beautiful paint colors Ford ever sprayed, but if neglected it looks worse than faded black paint! So of course the car I have to work on is severally neglected ( see some pictures here:http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/45491-need-some-quick-compound-advice-meguiars.html)
I clayed it and started in with some Meguiars ultimate compound (highly recommended) and its nowhere near enough. In fact the compounded spots look exactly like the un-compounded spots. Needless to say Im a bit discouraged.
I just went out and got some Meguiars 105 & 205, but Im skeptical about using it… If its not going to work I would rather just return the $70 worth of product and call it a day.

Does anyone else have a solution, a tip, a recommendation, etc… to bringing back the deep red color this paint once had? Or am I pretty much screwed? Should I just polish it up shiny and seal it with a wax and walk away…?
Thanks! Seriously appreciate the feedback here! :xyxthumbs:

CamaroSS27
01-28-2012, 05:36 PM
It will bring back some deep color but you have some clear coat failure going on.

Meticulous-Detail
01-28-2012, 06:07 PM
From the pics you have clear coat failure in some spots, that's a repaint. After you compound you should always polish. Polish is what brings out the color, gloss and shine. It contains oils that will nourish the paint. I would try hitting it with 205, you might need to do it more than once. What pads are you using with UC? How much pressure are you using? DA or rotary?

Megs 105 with a orange or yellow
Megs 205 with a white
Your choice of sealant/wax

Vegas Transplant
01-28-2012, 07:51 PM
If there is a buy here/ payhere lot in your town, the clean up man can point you in the right direction.

Maybe give you a sample.

TheGuyWho
01-28-2012, 11:18 PM
From the pics you have clear coat failure in some spots, that's a repaint. After you compound you should always polish. Polish is what brings out the color, gloss and shine. It contains oils that will nourish the paint. I would try hitting it with 205, you might need to do it more than once. What pads are you using with UC? How much pressure are you using? DA or rotary?

Megs 105 with a orange or yellow
Megs 205 with a white
Your choice of sealant/wax

If that GT500 in your signature picture is yours, Im sooo jealous! Love those cars and that color choice! Gorgeous!

On to the topic: I do have clear coat damage, that I know for sure, but Im not getting it repainted, so… There's really nothing I can do. I tried using Meg's UC with an orange pad first, but I wasn't happy with it. Im using a DA Meguiars G110. I bought some 105 & 205 at the store today, and I am planning to follow up with the 205. I started using the 105 on a yellow Meguiars pad on mid speed (setting 4) and applied firm pressure to spread the compound, and a few passes after that, then light pressure to work it in and finish. I will say this, its "cleaning" up fantastic, however its still a bland color, but I guess thats normal?

I think partially I misunderstood the purpose of compound altogether. I was kind of expecting it to do the work of a polish along with what it already does. Haha, this is part of my "learning" experience I guess.

TheGuyWho
01-28-2012, 11:31 PM
These are the products I have. I may not use ALL of them, but thats what ive got.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb99/spartacus3/b35515ed.jpg
Originally the paint was very close to the same color as this bottle. This is a picture of an untouched portion of the car, just washed and clayed, thats it.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb99/spartacus3/7f24f535.jpg
This is a picture of a portion of the car thats been hit with M#105 twice. It looks A LOT better, but there's still a long way to go…
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb99/spartacus3/d24d6b29.jpg
Overall, Im happy.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb99/spartacus3/f384fa49.jpg

opie_7afe
01-29-2012, 01:05 AM
the vertical surfaces of the car looks like it could benefit from m105/205 i doubt you will need the #7 unless you plan on working on some old single stage paints. the #9 i use from time to time for quick one step polishing's. the horizontal areas of that car is 100% clear coat failure i seen it start on my old car on the hood, started out as slight dullness in the paint then got even more cloudy as time passed on. there is nothing that can be done to save it with the exception of a repaint, i hate to bring this type of news it really sucks. could always get a partial respray of just the horizontal portions/clearcoat failure portions, do the prep yourself and will save you money.

Meticulous-Detail
01-29-2012, 06:15 AM
the vertical surfaces of the car looks like it could benefit from m105/205 i doubt you will need the #7 unless you plan on working on some old single stage paints. the #9 i use from time to time for quick one step polishing's. the horizontal areas of that car is 100% clear coat failure i seen it start on my old car on the hood, started out as slight dullness in the paint then got even more cloudy as time passed on. there is nothing that can be done to save it with the exception of a repaint, i hate to bring this type of news it really sucks. could always get a partial respray of just the horizontal portions/clearcoat failure portions, do the prep yourself and will save you money.

+1

I have used #7 on cars with CC and it does bring out the color and gloss, but it is really designed for single stage. Try this experiment, hit it with 205, then after the 205 hit it with #7 on a soft foam pad and let #7 soak for a few hours or even over night and then remove. It will be a PITA to remove, but you can use the GV with a MF towel or some detail spray to help.

Then hit it with #26. Post some pics afterwards.

TheGuyWho
01-29-2012, 01:56 PM
+1

I have used #7 on cars with CC and it does bring out the color and gloss, but it is really designed for single stage. Try this experiment, hit it with 205, then after the 205 hit it with #7 on a soft foam pad and let #7 soak for a few hours or even over night and then remove. It will be a PITA to remove, but you can use the GV with a MF towel or some detail spray to help.

Then hit it with #26. Post some pics afterwards.

Sorry, Im still kinda new on this forum and Im still learning what all the abreveations mean. What is "GV"? And by "detail spray" you are referring to something like a Meguiars quick detailer, right?
And If I leave #7 on overnight Im assuming it neds to be applied pretty thick, right? Wouldn't it dry out too much to really penetrate and "soak in"?

Meticulous-Detail
01-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Sorry, Im still kinda new on this forum and Im still learning what all the abreveations mean. What is "GV"? And by "detail spray" you are referring to something like a Meguiars quick detailer, right?
And If I leave #7 on overnight Im assuming it neds to be applied pretty thick, right? Wouldn't it dry out too much to really penetrate and "soak in"?

By GV I meant Meguiars GV110 DA polisher. Correct Megs quick detailer you can also use a light mist of water. Don't put it on thick, nice even thin coats. You have the products already so it is worth a shot!

TheGuyWho
01-29-2012, 04:18 PM
By GV I meant Meguiars GV110 DA polisher. Correct Megs quick detailer you can also use a light mist of water. Don't put it on thick, nice even thin coats. You have the products already so it is worth a shot!

Definitely. Thanks for the advice! :xyxthumbs: