PDA

View Full Version : Ran into a big problem today...

Pages : [1] 2 3

WRAPT C5Z06
01-28-2012, 02:56 PM
I came across tbe worst sap I've ever seen! Thick chunks that were bonded to the paint! DP Cleanse All and OPC didn't touch it! I ended up having to use a plastic razor blade. :eek: What can I use that will dissolve sap?

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
01-28-2012, 03:02 PM
iPa works well

embolism
01-28-2012, 04:03 PM
mineral spirits works quite well to soften (maybe use the bird bomb technique), then to clean up the leftovers after scraping the majority off

FUNX650
01-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I came across tbe worst sap I've ever seen! Thick chunks that were bonded to the paint! DP Cleanse All and OPC didn't touch it! I ended up having to use a plastic razor blade. :eek: What can I use that will dissolve sap?

Hi Mark...

If it's pine/spruce tree sap (turpene)....IPA, Mineral Spirits, Tarminator....Turpentine if they don't work.

Others such as Maple, Popular, Oak, etc., tree saps....IPA, Mineral spirits, Tarminator.

Hope this helps some.

:)

Bob

rider9195
01-28-2012, 04:47 PM
IPA worked for me.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys! I'll pick up some Tarminator. Is it available OTC?

Flash Gordon
01-28-2012, 04:52 PM
3m adhesive remover should work too http://adamsforums.com/forums/images/smilies/bf-sunglasswinksmiley.gif

Is this stuff (sap) about the size of the tip of your little finger? I hate that stuff!!!

2old2change
01-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Here in the midwest its available at O'Rileys

Meticulous-Detail
01-28-2012, 05:05 PM
IPA should work, I just used some to take off road tar.

Monster Shine
01-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I use IPA as well. Plus at less than a dollar a bottle it is a great little trick.

C. Charles Hahn
01-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys! I'll pick up some Tarminator. Is it available OTC?

Sure should be available OTC.

BobbyG
01-28-2012, 05:58 PM

BINGO Mark!

I use a hair dryer to soften them up then carefully scrape the majority off. Soak a rag with Turpentine and rub the affected area until the sap dissolves.....:props:

Rix6
01-28-2012, 06:18 PM
I came across tbe worst sap I've ever seen! Thick chunks that were bonded to the paint! DP Cleanse All and OPC didn't touch it! I ended up having to use a plastic razor blade. :eek: What can I use that will dissolve sap?Careful removing the last layers. You definitely want the sap to be very soft at the end, preferably dissolved in some paint safe solvent.

Do you have some old solvent based cleaner wax? If so, you can try letting a healthy blob soak on the tar for a while. I have some rain dance, left over from the 80's, that I used a couple weeks ago on some stubborn sap. I first had to shake the bottle for a while. :laughing:
There's also "Goof Off" liquid. Should be paint safe, but read the instruction to be sure. I've only used it for removing old registration tags from my license plates and from gelcoat. Much more effective than IPA. Haven't used on car paint though.

BobbyG's suggestion will probably work well if you have some turpentine on hand. Just wanted to give you other options. I really can't say what's going to work best.

dad07
01-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Mark here's my secret.....its hard to get sometimes....But I use Moonshine,it will remove a bunch of stuff and paint if your not carefull....and a snort or two will make you feel better about using it!

And NO this is no joke!

WRAPT C5Z06
01-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips! I haven't had a lot of experience with BAD sap!