PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Windshield, Anything be done?

Jimmie
03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Next week I'm doing a Complete detail on a Crys 300c Hemi. Hope to make it my first pics. Thing is trashed. I got off topic on my own thread.
He took a rock high on his windshield, and it caused an 8 inch crack running down in front of the driver. I said that insurance should take care of it. He said nope, $1000 deductible. Question is can I do anything to repair the crack if even temporary???? Or, is it stupid to try with no experience???

Whitethunder46
03-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Next week I'm doing a Complete detail on a Crys 300c Hemi. Hope to make it my first pics. Thing is trashed. I got off topic on my own thread.
He took a rock high on his windshield, and it caused an 8 inch crack running down in front of the driver. I said that insurance should take care of it. He said nope, $1000 deductible. Question is can I do anything to repair the crack if even temporary???? Or, is it stupid to try with no experience???

I have no idea, but I'm going to say no. I can't see anything working on it.

Is it just like a hairline crack?? If so, maybe you could use some kind of glass friendly filler to help minimize the look of it. Nothing is going to help strengthen it I have feeling though.

Jimmie
03-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah, Greg. It's a hairline crack that has a fork in it (Like an upside down slingshot).

Nuke33
03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
it will leak wont it... he should just get it replaced becasue if he gets pulled over he will get a ticket atleast in NY he will

BetaB
03-02-2007, 12:19 PM
as a glass blower, i do not think there is a way to truly fix it. I know people use UV glue on glass, but that window needs full integrity. Fillers will not cut it. Espicially since it's about 8", the window HAS to be replaced, period.

bambo2888
03-02-2007, 12:28 PM
honestly, insurance should cover it. if a windshield is broken on any FL road, insurance covers it no questions. granted i know youre not FL, but its something he or you can look into, especially if a local place will the housecall and take only 45 min.

BetaB
03-02-2007, 12:34 PM
It might depend on the insurance, but i know state farm allowed me to get a new windshield every couple of years because they thought it as safer for me to be driving a non-piitted/cracked windshield. Maybe if someone had a bottom-of-the-barrel policy, this could be possible.

Al-53
03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I do not think there is a deductable for windshields...I believe it is covered under your comprehensive and not collision..I have had a few replaced and never a charge....I had a small rock hit on drivers side creating a small pit but was obstructing my safe view and they replaced it no problem...

The other thing with cracks...they run sooner or later...wiping the window can make it travel...heat and expansion make them travel...best to get replaced...I know here in my state..a crack will not get you a safety inspection sticker...

Al

ltoman
03-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Yah it is comprehensive. I have had state farm replace mine when it was pitted back in 1992. Actually, it was to get a bunch of chips out of my hood as a passing truck dropped so many rocks into the road. They saw the windshield and took it upon themselves to replace it too. But if your deductible is that big, it pays just to pay to replace it. I carry 0's, but most don't.

ScottB
03-02-2007, 05:05 PM
I think policies vary by state, but yes in Florida currently the front glass is covered as a no deductible item. I hear some are trying to change it. Wont hurt to call rep and ask