PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Colorchip Question

WRXINXS
01-27-2012, 06:50 PM
After polishing my car for the first time this past week, my road rash on the lower door panels became MUCH more noticeable. I am going to use Dr. Colorchip on the road rash but was wondering what would happen to the repaired areas when I polish my car again next year. Would the polishing next year undo the repaired chips? I use Menzerna Powerfinish and sometimes Meguiars 205.

Thanks,
Drew

Vegas Transplant
01-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Maybe yes, maybe not. Too many variables. Have you ever considerd color enhanced waxes?

WRXINXS
01-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Maybe yes, maybe not. Too many variables. Have you ever considerd color enhanced waxes?

Not even too sure what that is but I'm pretty happy with my Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant for now.

WRXINXS
01-27-2012, 09:48 PM
I guess I'm OK, the website says:

Avoid machine polishing the repaired area for at least 30 days. When you do need to polish, Dr. ColorChip recommends using a random orbital polisher and foam pads for the best results over the repaired area.

I was just wondering if anyone had any actual real world experience with polishing after using Dr. Colorchip.

Garry Dean
01-27-2012, 10:57 PM
I guess I'm OK, the website says:

Avoid machine polishing the repaired area for at least 30 days. When you do need to polish, Dr. ColorChip recommends using a random orbital polisher and foam pads for the best results over the repaired area.

I was just wondering if anyone had any actual real world experience with polishing after using Dr. Colorchip.

I have spoken to both Bill and Dan, the owners, on many occasions, and they recommend that you use their touch up after all polishing is done.

If you are to polish over drcolorchip you may need to reapply paint to said area.

Spiney
01-28-2012, 04:02 AM
That's the great thing about this forum because I have a black car with some white specs on the nose from gravel and was wondering the same thing. So in the spring when I polish and wax do I need to remove the wax in the area before I use the DR Colorchip ? Thanks, Spiney

Rix6
01-28-2012, 04:55 AM
That's the great thing about this forum because I have a black car with some white specs on the nose from gravel and was wondering the same thing. So in the spring when I polish and wax do I need to remove the wax in the area before I use the DR Colorchip ? Thanks, Spiney
Hi Spiney,
You'll need to remove wax from wherever you want paint to stick. You could probably use a Q-tip to apply your degreaser to just the chips if you don't want to remove the rest of the wax.

WRXINXS
01-28-2012, 09:36 AM
I have spoken to both Bill and Dan, the owners, on many occasions, and they recommend that you use their touch up after all polishing is done.

If you are to polish over drcolorchip you may need to reapply paint to said area.

Is that true in all cases. It would not be cool to have to reapply each year after I polish.