PDA

View Full Version : LSP, is there such thing as TOO thin?

ArkayoDeetayo
01-26-2012, 06:30 PM
I know "less is more" , "thin is in" for wax/sealants but is there such thing as TOO thin?

sometimes I apply it so thin that I cannot see it unless I bend at a certain angle with specific lighting...of course when I apply it this thin, removal is a breeze.

So do you guys think as long as there is a film on top its okay?

Personally I rather use extra to "know" I am leaving enough behind so that there is maximum product to allow bonding rather than use too less and might be too thin?

When I mean thin, like using 1oz to do 3 coats...

Rix6
01-26-2012, 06:45 PM
I think as long your applicator doesn't drag and you can see at some angle or otherwise confirm that a continous film is being left behind, you will be ok.

If your applicator is thinning out to where it's leaving a patchy, uneven film of product, well that, IMHO, would be too thin and time to add more.

That's my quick, amateur opinion. I'm sure some of the Pros will have better tips for determining what is too in.

glen e
01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
I agree , as long as you have coverage and no skips, thin is in...

Matt
01-26-2012, 08:30 PM
If your applicator is thinning out to where it's leaving a patchy, uneven film of product, well that, IMHO, would be too thin and time to add more.

:iagree:

I like to go as thin as possible, but feel uneasy when I can't see a film of product at all because if I can't see anything then there is nothing telling me that there is any wax on the surface what so ever.

Dirtyrango212
01-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Yes there is a such thing as to thin? But mr.Rix6's description is a great example of enough & not :xyxthumbs:... I was also one who looked at it as you said about adding more to 'KNOW' but it didn't take long to figure out lol especially over doing!!!!! Some products are forgiving and some are definitely not. notice im not using any names everyone has there own horror story with different products ;) really its like this over applied wax/sealant's Is #1 wasting product #2 sum will leave blotches #3 it Makes them harder to remove = more pressure increasing chances of adding swirls scratches ect.. Point? its definitely better to go THIN especially taking into account were gonna add a second coat anyway :dblthumb2:

Paintxpert
01-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I learned years ago.....less is more when it comes to waxes and sealants. The product is on the applicator. No need to cake it on.

rider9195
01-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Thin is in. With some products you can get away with not going super thin all the time. With other products you really need to focus getting the thinnest layer possible. That is why I like to use a LSP that is super easy to remove at any thickness. BFWD is a great example.

umi000
01-27-2012, 03:36 AM
In the end, you'll be left with a layer that's only about 20 nanometers thick (1/5000th of a human hair), so I don't think you need to worry about applying too thin :) If you're worried about coverage, just go over the panel twice :)

CEE DOG
01-27-2012, 09:54 AM
As long as you have even coverage there is not a too thin. Some products you can apply thick if that's what your in to.

rfinkle2
01-27-2012, 10:00 AM
As long as you have even coverage there is not a too thin. Some products you can apply thick if that's what your in to.

I am into thick application. LOL.

I can't explain why, but it pretty drastically reduces the number of sealants that I enjoy using.

My fault, but I like to slather it on for some reason.