PDA

View Full Version : How to clean Seatbelts.........

ssnobrakes
01-25-2012, 10:16 PM
I have cream/beige colored seatbelts and they are starting to look fairly dirty. Any suggestions on products/techniques/tips on cleaning them up?.......Thanks in advance.

Kristopher1129
01-25-2012, 10:45 PM
This may sound strange. But, when customers request that we clean the seat belts specifically...I pull the seat belt all the way out and use a clip to keep it from going back in.

Then, I have a large flat thin plastic cutting board. I pull up the extractor and get it ready. While it's heating up, I spray degreaser on both sides of the seat belt. Let it sit for a minute.

Then, I use a plastic sheet cover to cover the seat to protect from overspray, and to avoid soaking the seat. Use the cutting board to lay the seat belt flat down...and extract the belt on top of the cutting board. Then slide another section of the belt on top of the cutting board and do the same thing to both sides. When there's not enough slack to keep it down flat, hold the cutting board against the back rest of the seat, and do the same thing to the rest.

Wipe it down with a fresh towel. Leave the clip on till it dries off. :dblthumb2:

I only do this for belts that are real dirty. For just spot stains here and there...just spray and wipe.

masterdetail
01-25-2012, 10:51 PM
what I usually do for seatbelts is,,, during my prep, if someone asks about the seatbelts, i pull themas far out of the car as possible, shut the door in them, soak them in degreaser, and very carefully pressure wash them, will make them perfect everytime... my not need to be done that way if there not real dirty, laquer thinner on a rag works for them..

Bates Detailing
01-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Degreaser and steam - works great!

Kristopher1129
01-25-2012, 10:54 PM
what I usually do for seatbelts is,,, during my prep, if someone asks about the seatbelts, i pull themas far out of the car as possible, shut the door in them, soak them in degreaser, and very carefully pressure wash them, will make them perfect everytime... my not need to be done that way if there not real dirty, laquer thinner on a rag works for them..

Good idea. Just gotta watch that buckle, ha.

FUNX650
01-25-2012, 11:19 PM
For cleaning:

Seatbelts:
- Folex
- Woolite
- P21S TAW
- 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover
- C-28 Seatbelt Cleaner and Spot Remover

Seatbelt anchors/retracting mechanisms:
-Compressed air to blow out dirt/dust/debris
-Q-Tips and IPA to clean areas

Protection (after everything is dry):

Seatbelts:
-303 Fabric Guard

Seatbelt anchors/retracting mechanisms:
-Plexus/Plexus type product

:)

Bob

masterdetail
01-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Thanks.. i usually hold the seatbelt by the buckle as tight as i need it with one, and and use the other to pressure wash it

SeaJay's
01-27-2012, 09:58 AM
This may sound strange. But, when customers request that we clean the seat belts specifically...I pull the seat belt all the way out and use a clip to keep it from going back in.

Then, I have a large flat thin plastic cutting board. I pull up the extractor and get it ready. While it's heating up, I spray degreaser on both sides of the seat belt. Let it sit for a minute.

Then, I use a plastic sheet cover to cover the seat to protect from overspray, and to avoid soaking the seat. Use the cutting board to lay the seat belt flat down...and extract the belt on top of the cutting board. Then slide another section of the belt on top of the cutting board and do the same thing to both sides. When there's not enough slack to keep it down flat, hold the cutting board against the back rest of the seat, and do the same thing to the rest.

Wipe it down with a fresh towel. Leave the clip on till it dries off. :dblthumb2:

I only do this for belts that are real dirty. For just spot stains here and there...just spray and wipe.

I like that idea...never thought of the cutting board. I always use my cleaner whether it be APC or degreaser and steam. Which works but the extractor I can see how that would work great.

Going to have to give that a try.

Kristopher1129
01-27-2012, 10:17 AM
I like that idea...never thought of the cutting board. I always use my cleaner whether it be APC or degreaser and steam. Which works but the extractor I can see how that would work great.

Going to have to give that a try.

It does work pretty well. I never really have much luck cleaning upholstery or any fabric with steam. The stains always come back when its dry. I like to pull them right out. :dblthumb2:

ShineTimeDetail
01-27-2012, 11:28 AM
It does work pretty well. I never really have much luck cleaning upholstery or any fabric with steam. The stains always come back when its dry. I like to pull them right out. :dblthumb2:

I use steam but you always have to extract it out- Rather its a shop vac or extractor.

timsatx
02-22-2016, 12:52 PM
So good answers for the seatbelt that you pull out. How do you handle the short section that the seatbelt attaches to? The ones in the rear seat of my truck, in particular one, is pretty dirty. It may in fact be stained, but I don't know how I should go about trying to clean it. It's only about 3-4 inches long.

jamesboyy
02-22-2016, 01:23 PM
So good answers for the seatbelt that you pull out. How do you handle the short section that the seatbelt attaches to? The ones in the rear seat of my truck, in particular one, is pretty dirty. It may in fact be stained, but I don't know how I should go about trying to clean it. It's only about 3-4 inches long.

If the area is tight then hot damp towel with folex and a good wiping of that area should help though if you have space to get tools in there then extract that length of belt lastly if its your personal vehicle and it hand you can always make a day and remove the seats, etc and go to town too.....just a few ideas