PDA

View Full Version : scrapping a car for $$$?

timaishu
01-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Hey guys. I heard that my brother in laws 96-97 grand cherokee was at the repair shop due to it failing smog and I guess my mechanic told him it may not be worth repairing and that if he were to put the 2-3k into it to fix it it may only last for another 20k miles. The truck has 200k miles on it already.

I remember hearing about a program after I sold my taurus for next to nothing due to a smiliar reason(go figure). I heard that if it fails smog, you could retire the vehicle and you would get a check for like a thousand bucks.

I did some searching and came across this website.

Car Scrappage - Voluntary Accelerated Vehicle Retirement (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/avrp/avrp.htm)

Has anyone done this or know how it works so I can give him some hope?

weavers
01-25-2012, 08:42 PM
I did this with my old Benz. The scrap yard, pick-n-pull, would give me 300 bucks, but told me I can recycle it to the state of California for 1000. I am low income, because I am a full time Nursing student, so I got $1,500. It just needed to be running, one head light and no baseball size dents.

Nice thing was, when I qualified for the program they gave me 3 months to take it to pick-n-pull. So if I needed to I could shop for a used car for 3 months, and use the 1500 to pay for a new used car.

My car was 30 years old with an estimated 300,000 miles, the odometer died at 153k. It leaked coolant, oil, it wouldn't reverse, the power windows didn't work, needed 4 new tires, paint had burn through, rids, small dents, rubber seals were cracking, and it was a diesel. It was beautiful to look at, but to expensive to restore.

Fill it out, it sounds like he might get some money.

Vegas Transplant
01-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Better cash that check quickly. May never know if calli will switch to an iou. j/k

Happy detailing...

timaishu
01-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Awesome.

Man I wish I did this with my taurus. One of the cats blew out. Car was running really rich and I was getting about 120 miles to a tank. 3 cylinders mis-fired. Cheap earl scheib paint job. Alignment messed up. Frame bent. Rear door didnt shut right. I think my mechanic(same guy) said the heads needed to be rebuilt? I have no idea what that means but I believe him.

There was no way the thing would pass smog, so I sold it on craigslist for 300 bucks. :( Ill bet ya the guy who bought it retired it and got the check. He was really weird about buying it and said I wouldnt hear from him again, he didnt seem the care how it drove. Test drove it for about 2-3 minutes.