PDA

View Full Version : Random Circular Scratches - Existing or Inflicted?

Chukkie
01-25-2012, 04:46 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f11/Chukkie/IMAG0273.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f11/Chukkie/IMAG0274.jpg

Well, I started my first attempt at polishing using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, PC 7424XP, and an Orange CCS pad. The car is a 1997 Honda Civic. My test spot went well but when I moved onto my next section I noticed these scratches. The way they are distributed they look as if they were caused by the DA. So I tried a new orange pad with Wolfgangs Total Swirl Remover to see if it did the same thing. It did. I got to looking at the paint that I had not touched and thought maybe I could see those scratches hiding under the faded nastiness that the paint originally was but I can't be sure. That picture is taken from the bottom half of the hood. After seeing the same thing twice I tried a white pad and the Meguiars on the spoiler (completely different area of the car to see if maybe it had something to do with harder hit areas by debris). No such scratches appeared. Now that would seem to be good news but the pattern that the scratches have appeared in look like they were inflicted in a random circular pattern (da orbital anyone?)

I'm hoping some of you have seen this a thousand times by over eager individuals new to detailing and can help me eliminate an already existing problem or one just being uncovered by the polish.

Edit: Polisher on speed setting 6. Car was properly washed and clayed before beginning polish.

Bates Detailing
01-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Thats clear coat failure.

Bates Detailing
01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
That is the beginnings of or is Crows Feet - polishing over it will accentuate it or make it more obvious at times. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news man. Definitely was already there - was not inflicted by your DA

Chukkie
01-25-2012, 05:01 PM
That's good news then. In fact it's the best news I could have gotten lol I was afraid I had failed at my first attempt. The car isn't important as it is just a gas saver and now something for me to practice detailing technique on. So should I finish with the Meguiars and Orange pad or stay with the white? Outside of clear coat failure the paint looks terrible and I'm afraid the white pad won't have enough bite to get the job done.

Chukkie
01-25-2012, 05:04 PM
http://imgur.com/7KChn.jpg

Good example of what I'm looking at...

Bates Detailing
01-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Yep - very disturbing picture lol!

Chukkie
01-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction so quickly...now I'll get back outiside and finish this car up.

Bates Detailing
01-25-2012, 05:09 PM
No problem man - good luck

Rsurfer
01-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Do you have a two toned car?

MustangMikeFL
01-25-2012, 06:20 PM
I got some of that too on my TA's hood. I figured it was just clear coat failure but now I know that it is.

Chukkie
01-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Nope, it's just red. The black picture is from another thread I found about clearcoat failure and crows feet.