PDA

View Full Version : New Car Paint was sealed and waxed-Help

Pages : [1] 2

monito
01-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Not knowing anything about paints my friend painted my car with 2 stage paint.

He actually waxed my car as soon as he finish polishing it. But now I read that no sealants or wax. What should I do now???? I applied sealant and waxed it again :buffing:

How am I supposed to know grrrrr!!!!!!

Help!

pat

Used: DP sealant and pinnacle liquid souveran wax

umi000
01-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Strip everything off and hope for the best?

Mike Phillips
01-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Here's the deal...

I don't know of a single paint manufacturer the has an "Official Recommendation" to apply any type of product with protection ingredients that could seal fresh paint for at least 30 days air cure.

That said, I've read of and/or seen cars with fresh paint being sealed with a wax or paint sealant and never heard of any problems or issues after the fact down the road. Not saying problems didn't occur, I just have never heard of any problems that happened later on.

The 30 day waiting time is like a safety precaution just to be careful as there's usually not an emergency to hurry up and apply a coat of wax. Modern paint is pretty tough in and of itself and anything that comes into contact with the paint that could harm it would also be strong enough to harm the micron, or sub-micron thin layer of wax or sealant.

Now on a lot of forums you'll see people actually recommending to others to go ahead and apply wax or a paint sealant to their car's fresh paint and you can take their advice if you want to but it's historically accepted that the manufacturer knows their product best and if they say don't wax or seal for a minimum of 30 days I would tend to take their advice than someone on a forum.

At this point you have two options,

Strip the paint
Leave it alone

If it's really important to you, that is the car and the new paint job, then you could simply remove the sealant and wax using a fine polish by machine. Wait 30 days and then seal it.

:)

monito
01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Here's the deal...

I don't know of a single paint manufacturer the has an "Official Recommendation" to apply any type of product with protection ingredients that could seal fresh paint for at least 30 days air cure.

That said, I've read of and/or seen cars with fresh paint being sealed with a wax or paint sealant and never heard of any problems or issues after the fact down the road. Not saying problems didn't occur, I just have never heard of any problems that happened later on.

The 30 day waiting time is like a safety precaution just to be careful as there's usually not an emergency to hurry up and apply a coat of wax. Modern paint is pretty tough in and of itself and anything that comes into contact with the paint that could harm it would also be strong enough to harm the micron, or sub-micron thin layer of wax or sealant.

Now on a lot of forums you'll see people actually recommending to others to go ahead and apply wax or a paint sealant to their car's fresh paint and you can take their advice if you want to but it's historically accepted that the manufacturer knows their product best and if they say don't wax or seal for a minimum of 30 days I would tend to take their advice than someone on a forum.

At this point you have two options,

Strip the paint
Leave it alone

If it's really important to you, that is the car and the new paint job, then you could simply remove the sealant and wax using a fine polish by machine. Wait 30 days and then seal it.

Thanks mike. Would paint prep cleaner work? It smells like mineral spirit. Expensive! He should have some left. He used it before he painted the car to remove any grease. It doest remove paint.

Thanks

Pat

Kristopher1129
01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
I would just strip the wax with any kind of paint prep cleaner. Start with a Dawn wash to strip most of it, then use something like mineral spirits, alcohol, or any other paint prep cleaner. If you want to be absolutely certain...you can do like Mike said and polish it.

I would imagine this would take care of any possible issues.

Mike Phillips
01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks mike. Would paint prep cleaner work? It smells like mineral spirit. Expensive! He should have some left. He used it before he painted the car to remove any grease. It doest remove paint.

Thanks

Pat

Don't wipe or introduce any solvent to fresh paint. I cover this in my IPA article.

I recommended a fine polish but should have stated why but had to leave work to run errands. Use a body shop safe polish and machine polish the paint. Use a DA polisher. This will remove everything off the surface and leave the paint looking freshly painted like it should.

Do you have a DA polisher?

How about a pro grade polish?

monito
01-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Don't wipe or introduce any solvent to fresh paint. I cover this in my IPA article.

I recommended a fine polish but should have stated why but had to leave work to run errands. Use a body shop safe polish and machine polish the paint. Use a DA polisher. This will remove everything off the surface and leave the paint looking freshly painted like it should.

Yes, I have PC 7424XP and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish (any recommendations?). After I do all of this how long should I wait before applying sealant. I applied sealant 15 days after painted.

I wonder what happens to the paint if sealant is left in there? (Just curious!)

Thanks,

-pat

Kristopher1129
01-25-2012, 02:12 PM

Would you be able to link us to that article, Mike? I'd like to read that!

Mike Phillips
01-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Yes, I have PC 7424XP and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish (any recommendations?). After I do all of this how long should I wait before applying sealant. I applied sealant 15 days after painted.

I wonder what happens to the paint if sealant is left in there? (Just curious!)

Thanks,

-pat

Hi Pat,

The PC and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish will work fine. Use a foam polishing or finishing pad. IF it's been 15 days, then wait another 15 days and then seal and/or wax or both, your choice. See my article here on Topping.

Topping - Definition - How to Top also called Topping (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40089-topping-definition-how-top-also-called-topping.html)

Here's some articles on paint...

Don't wax your car for at least 30 days! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/26967-don-t-wax-your-car-least-30-days.html)

Fresh Paint - But you can touch it... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/28717-fresh-paint-but-you-can-touch.html)

Body Shop Safe Glaze on Fresh Paint - #7 Show Car Glaze (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28659-body-shop-safe-glaze-fresh-paint-7-show-car-glaze.html)

The practical differences between single stage paints and a clear coat paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/21924-practical-differences-between-single-stage-paints-clear-coat-paints.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Would you be able to link us to that article, Mike? I'd like to read that!

Here's the link,

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

Here's the FIRST paragraph

WARNING
Do not chemically strip FRESH PAINT. Fresh paint has not fully cross-linked, dried and hardened. Introducing any type of solvent to the surface and allowing it to dwell could have a negative effect on the paint.

monito
01-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Waoh Mike,

That is a lot of good information. I called Dupont to ask them about curing time for Nason 465 and their answer was 120 days curing time for this particular clear.

-pat

ShaunD
01-25-2012, 05:47 PM
That is past the 30-60 days time frame that has been "standard" in the past. Did you ask them what they recommend between now and then, and after the 120 days?
Wonder if that clear is usually baked to shorten cure time?

Kristopher1129
01-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Here's the link,

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

Here's the FIRST paragraph

Thank you, sir. Learn something new every day. Well, maybe not EVERY day. But, I try to, ha.:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
01-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Waoh Mike,

That is a lot of good information. I called Dupont to ask them about curing time for Nason 465 and their answer was 120 days curing time for this particular clear.

-pat

Good job.

Usually when I answer these types of questions I say the 30 days is a minimum by "some" paint manufactures but some recommend a longer waiting time.

It's always best to follow the paint manufacturer's recommendations as they know their product best. Plus what I wrote about any thing that comes into contact with the paint that could harm it is usually going to be corrosive enough to obliterate any wax or sealant protection.

A good project for someone would be to contact paint suppliers to the refinishing world and make a list of official drying or waiting times for the major brands.

What are you working on?

Dr Oldz
01-25-2012, 06:19 PM
This is a very interesting thread. I follow the paint manufacturers suggestions as to how long to wax or seal. That being said..... If you ever read the description of carnauba wax, it states that it allows the paint to breathe as it does in it's natural state on the leaves that it protects. Now I know there are other products in car wax besides pure nuba but one would think that using a pure nuba would let fresh paint breathe and properly out-gas. Just some food for thought and I do not suggest trying this.

monito
01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Ok a sad day, after washing my car and seing those water drops just fly away like air blowing on them.

About 3 hour later my car was completely polished.

Waiting time is -105 days for sealing the paint again. Its amazing how the shine has chnged.

A special thanks to Mike for all the amazing information he provided.

Thanks for all the help.

Pat