PDA

View Full Version : New to boat detailing

Jeanolivier
01-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Hello all, this is my first post as a memeber of this forum!
I just bough a 2009 Malibu and I would like to detail it.
The boat is in very good shape with low oxidation.
I read a lot on different forum and saw Mike youtube video on boat deatailing.

I have a pc and not planning to buy a flex (well for the next 6months)
What product should I use? And what pad? Foam yellow and orange or jump with wool pad?
Xmt 360 sounds good to me but I'm not sure if it will be abrasive enought? I'm planning to seal the boat with Collonite 925. Thanks everyone for your help.

glen e
01-25-2012, 09:57 AM
See the post I did on oxidized gelcoat here
Replace the flex with your orbital and get the meiguars Mf system
Gelcoat is NOT paint... A lot harder
Long term buy a harbor freight rotary and meguir wool pad for real oxidation

ProMoDe
01-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Some pictures would be a great place to start. Collinite 925 is my wax of choice and the cleaner they offer works quite well too. If you want to save a step they have a cleaner and wax in one product. Xmt 360 is a great product and i have used it on boats but it is not very efficient on gel coats that have any light oxidation. Gel coat labs has been a great brand too. I can't comment on pad selection ' cause i usually a cyclo with yellow or orange pads as my 1st step on boats.

Jeanolivier
01-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks for yours answers, sorry I don't have any pic, the boat is currently in storage.

Perfections
01-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Duragloss 501/orange pad, followed by 601/111 or 105 on a finishing pad usually lake county thin hydro techs :) when you clean the boat for the first time you'll see why I gave you this combo vs collinite fiberglass cleaner/925

Old Pirate
01-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Welcome and one product line you should look into is the Gel Coat Labs Bow to Stern Vessel Care Products ,
(http://www.autogeek.net/gel-coat-labs-boat-care.html) These products can be use with a PC 7424XP or any type of DA.