PDA

View Full Version : High gloss black plastic b-pillars

taliano120
01-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Even though my Touareg is only 500 miles old, the exterior shiny black plastic b/c-pillars are hairline scratched all to hell.

What do I use to properly remove the scratches & seal the surface?

I have Mother's Plastic Polish in my arsenal, but wondering if there's something more effective/safer.

Also, can these panels be waxed with say P21S Carnauba? Thanks.

Audios S6
01-25-2012, 09:30 AM
On older VAG vehicles (my 99 A6 and 02 S6) I've used 3M plastic polish, microfiber bonnet and mothers powerball with good results - only removing clear material and finishing down very nice. I tried on an 08 GTI and it was taking off black material and was less succesful at removal and finishinng down.

taliano120
01-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I think I will try the Mother's Plastic Polish by hand- it's pretty gentle. I have used it on my microwave exterior & it worked reasonably well.

I'm still wondering why such high traffic areas of a vehicle are such a soft material??

TornadoRed
01-25-2012, 09:52 AM
I assume they are similar to my GTI. They are pretty soft and can probably be fixed by hand. I'd still recommend using a DA.
I had pretty good luck using Griot's polish #4 (very very mild) and a 4" crimson pad (soft). I think I used a 4.5 speed and worked the polish for a long time. The end result is mirrors for b pillars.
I've put sealants and waxes on them with no problem.

taliano120
01-29-2012, 09:04 AM
So, the Mother's Plastic Polish I have would or wouldn't be a good solution if I'm polishing by hand?

I had bought the Mother's originally for removing scratches on the face of a microwave.

Rix6
01-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Car polish and Car wax. I treat mine the exact same way I treat my black paint. In return pillars and side mirrors look exactly like black paint.