PDA

View Full Version : Engine Detailing

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lone_Star
03-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, I have searched yet could not find anything specific. I just viewed Justin's detail of the Toyota Sequia and what a job he did on that engine. Is there a write up on engine detailing.

Whitethunder46
03-01-2007, 03:23 PM
On the same note, when you spray down the engine, what are the parts besides the Air Filter do you need to cover up? Also, what should use to cover them up?

ScottB
03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
coils .... distributors .... air intakes. DP makes a nice new engine cleaner, but I only use the wet towel and wipe down method. You pay for an Opti-spark unit once,and you learn a valuable lesson.

Surfer
03-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Only part I cover is my custom intake on my truck and don't want water to be sucked in. Otherwise, APC/Degreaser and I use a hose on medium mist, never have any troubles. Hard on my truck to do alot with just a towel as Ford has that V8 crammed in the bay lol. But I do the same for all our other vehicles.

Just does something similar to me I believe, after a good cleaning, I just use Armor All Tire Foam, let sit, and hose down, cleans and protects and leaves a nice black finish. I doa lot of driving and especially if I'm going to the lake or anything, the engine bay will get dirty.

AL417
03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Well, I have searched yet could not find anything specific. I just viewed Justin's detail of the Toyota Sequia and what a job he did on that engine. Is there a write up on engine detailing.
Here you go..
Engine Detailing (http://www.autogeek.net/engine-guide.html)

justin_murphy
03-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Let me tell you, I have never covered a single item in any engine bay to date. I have not had on check engine light either. The reason: a pressure washer is 75% air. This keeps the engine from being drenched and causing standing water in vital areas. Of course, like driving with a perfect record, an accident can occur at any time.......even with precautions.

Whitethunder46
03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Only part I cover is my custom intake on my truck and don't want water to be sucked in. Otherwise, APC/Degreaser and I use a hose on medium mist, never have any troubles. Hard on my truck to do alot with just a towel as Ford has that V8 crammed in the bay lol. But I do the same for all our other vehicles.

Just does something similar to me I believe, after a good cleaning, I just use Armor All Tire Foam, let sit, and hose down, cleans and protects and leaves a nice black finish. I doa lot of driving and especially if I'm going to the lake or anything, the engine bay will get dirty.

What do you use to cover the filter???

Lone_Star
03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks Al, and Justin you really never cover anything?

nick19
03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks Al, and Justin you really never cover anything?

I don't either. Instead of using a hose, I fill a 2.5 gallon bucket of water and use that.

Nuke33
03-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Im a little scared to do it on my civic but man does it need one

greg'sgoat
03-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Nuke, think about it. All the stuff in your engine gets wet in the rain, snow, etc. As long as you arn't soaking the engine you should be ok. Follow the AG link the above post, cover the air intake, distributer/coil packs, and some of the elctrical conections that are not covered by the weather packing if you are uncomfertable with doing it. As long as you don't soak it and let it sit there for more than a couple of min., you won't have an issue. That stuff can take abuse.

Nica
03-02-2007, 12:58 PM
I guess it all depends on the vehicle, because my SUV has protection every where. So much plastic covers that it's hard to get any water near any sensative parts.

But then a gain, I got the Volvo (older) which has everything exposed and I would hate to get water in sensative areas so I just wipe...kinda like when washing the car...exept with a regular towel not a ShMITT.

Surfer
03-02-2007, 01:44 PM
What do you use to cover the filter???I just grab a plastic bag and wrap/tie it around the box area, stays dry. I have it setup to party block heat from the engine and draw cooler directly from the front and side, so I just wrrap it around that to block the openings. Works well.

Most newer cars are sealed well, especially Ford trucks. My whole engine bay is protected, you could use a pressure washer over and over and nothing will happen. At one point before I really got into detailing, I'm always driving or back in forth to the lake house etc, so enigne bay was filthy, soaked it in degreaser/apc, hosed the heck out of it, started right now no issues, was worried at first, but I saw videos of guys like from Adams pressure washing a s/c'd F-150 engine etc with no issues. But becare on older makes/models as some of them aren't protected as well.

tamvegas
03-02-2007, 06:49 PM
I haven't done a proper detail on my engine compartment yet but am going to in the next couple weeks.
A couple questions.
The paint in the engine bay isn't polished at all. Do I need to try and hand polish and buff to get it looking really good? Or will something like the Poorboys EX sealant and Spray QW do it? And will the PBoys stand up to the heat? (I'm in Vegas and we do get HOT for months at a time).
Also, I'm waiting for delivery of a cold water pressure washer (should be here Monday!) that's variable from 400 to 1600 psi. I'm planning on starting at lower pressure and only working up as needed.
Should the pressure washer work well? I'm going to have to put the car on ramps to remove the protective panel under the engine bay to have drainage. Otherwise all the dirt will just gather and dry there, so I'm going to be doing the front suspension at the same time.
Is it a good idea to apply protectant to all the front suspension parts at the same time? Not sure what product to use on those parts just yet, and suggestions?

Thanks Everybody, Tam

noname5
03-02-2007, 09:08 PM
It depends on the vehicle. For the most part, just don't go blasting water in the engine bay, and you should be fine.

I only cover up the alternator in my tC, and only use a pretty gentle free flow of water to rinse. No problems yet!

I suppose I should also mention that immediately after I rinse, I blow off as much water as I can with a leafblower (I have it plugged in, my earbuds ready, so everything should be standing by). Then, I'll go start the car as quickly as possible. Close the hood, let it be for about 15 minutes.