PDA

View Full Version : How cold is too cold to use claybar

WRXINXS
01-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Hey guys,

I am going to be doing a wash/iron x/clay/sealant job on my car but it is pretty cold out and I was wondering how cold is too cold to clay. The actual clay is stored in my house so it will be warm.

Details are black car, soft clear, ultrafine clay and I will be polishing afterwards.

Thanks,
Drew

lokichaos
01-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Hey guys,

I am going to be doing a wash/iron x/clay/sealant job on my car but it is pretty cold out and I was wondering how cold is too cold to clay. The actual clay is stored in my house so it will be warm.

Details are black car, soft clear, ultrafine clay and I will be polishing afterwards.

Thanks,
Drew

When I was doing my review for Megs. Ultimate compound I clayed with meguiars clay and quick detail as lube. This was at around low 30s to high 20s. the lube was freezing as I was claying. I had to work REALLY fast. Sometimes it would freeze while I was drying…You can give it a shot but just a warning that the lube could freeze on you.

WRXINXS
01-21-2012, 03:21 PM
I think its like 52 degrees in my garage so hopefully that will be ok to clay?

DaC
01-21-2012, 03:29 PM
I have just the opposite problem.... Here in brazil the clay tends to get just too sticky because it's too hot..... Above 26c and it's already too sticky to work with.....

lokichaos
01-21-2012, 03:54 PM

ahh you should be fine then. :)

Kristopher1129
01-21-2012, 03:57 PM
I typically have issues with the clay being so cold it gets hard. Once it hits under 45 degrees around here...I shut down mobile and do strictly shop work. So, maybe under 45 degrees is my answer to your question, ha.

I'm sure it can easily be done when it's like 40 out...but anything under 40 I would absolutely say is out of the question. But, that's me...I don't do much work in the cold.

tw33k2514
01-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Your good. I've Clayed in the 20s. Just need hot water to soak the clay in. And I dunked my ONR clay lube in a hot bath as well.

Rav777
01-21-2012, 04:41 PM
I probably don't have much say since it never snows where I live but maybe you can stick the clay in a zip lock bag and run it through some warm water now and then just to soften it up a bit more.

Kristopher1129
01-21-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't know how often you detail. But, you may find this little trick helpful. I made a thread on how I keep my clay warm through the winter. This is the first winter I've done it...and it's worked better than I thought.

I know I could just run it under hot water...but that's definitely more time consuming than having it warm and ready on the spot. I can use it, finish with it, put it right back...and it's ready when I am for the next vehicle.

Check it out...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/42197-solved-my-clay-bar-issue.html