PDA

View Full Version : 'Best' way to remove (or cover) fine scratches in windshield?

Pages : [1] 2

Chevy-SS
01-19-2012, 04:32 PM
I've got millions of fine scratches in my windshield, mostly from wipers. Car is a 2003 Caddy DeVille (which I recently bought). Car is mint otherwise.

I searched and read a bunch of threads on this issue. There are quite a few varying opinions. One poster said glass could be polished with cerium oxide but it takes like 6 hours per square foot of windshield! Holy cow, I'm gonna buy a new windshield before I spend 30 or 40 hours with a buffer. I also saw folks talking about assorted polishes, which fill in the scratches.

Sooooo, is there a definitive "best" way of removing/covering these millions of fine scratches?

Thanks very much for any help...........

Dave F.
Rhode Island (where the roads are rough and the politicians are crooked)

-

Meticulous-Detail
01-19-2012, 04:42 PM
I would try a DA polisher with Megs 105 and 205.

Vegas Transplant
01-20-2012, 09:19 AM
I think CEEDOG did a review. I remember it being very informative, especially with the various pads that he tried. Great video by the way.

Chevy-SS
01-20-2012, 10:06 AM
I think CEEDOG did a review. I remember it being very informative, especially with the various pads that he tried. Great video by the way.

OK, many thanks, I will search and hopefully find that video......

-

umi000
01-20-2012, 10:08 AM
The product referred to above, which CEE DOG reviewed (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/43988-review-carpro-ceriglass.html), is CarPro's CeriGlass.

Chevy-SS
01-20-2012, 10:24 AM
The product referred to above, which CEE DOG reviewed (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/43988-review-carpro-ceriglass.html), is CarPro's CeriGlass.

Yep, I found the link, and 'thank you' for providing it here. It is a great thread!

Thanks all - for the help! :xyxthumbs:

-

zmanz
01-20-2012, 01:11 PM
I tried several different products before CarPro's CeriGlass and none really had any effect on the scratches After CeriGlass I can see again!

Lowejackson
01-22-2012, 03:09 PM
If you have a machine the Ceriglass is very good for minor scratches, I suspect by hand it would take a staggering amount of time unless you have arms like Popeye

Chevy-SS
01-23-2012, 10:08 AM
If you have a machine the Ceriglass is very good for minor scratches, I suspect by hand it would take a staggering amount of time unless you have arms like Popeye

LOL, I truly can't imagine doing this by hand. I wouldn't think it's possible by hand. A machine is a necessity...........

-

Mike Phillips
01-23-2012, 10:56 AM
IF you want to remove scratches out of glass you need a polish where the key abrasive is cerium oxide.

It's done best with a rotary buffer because you need the power of a direct drive tool as you're going to need to push down hard to engage the abrasives with the glass.

You're also going to need a glass polishing disc.

It's also very messy, see my article here for some info and tips... we'll be glass polishing one of our demo cars at our Detailing Boot Camp this Saturday morning.

How to remove tiny pinhole pits in glass windows using a rotary buffer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/diamondite/40436-how-remove-tiny-pinhole-pits-glass-windows-using-rotary-buffer.html)

:)

Chevy-SS
01-23-2012, 11:20 AM
IF you want to remove scratches out of glass you need a polish where the key abrasive is cerium oxide.

It's done best with a rotary buffer because you need the power of a direct drive tool as you're going to need to push down hard to engage the abrasives with the glass.

You're also going to need a glass polishing disc.

It's also very messy, see my article here for some info and tips... we'll be glass polishing one of our demo cars at our Detailing Boot Camp this Saturday morning.

How to remove tiny pinhole pits in glass windows using a rotary buffer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/diamondite/40436-how-remove-tiny-pinhole-pits-glass-windows-using-rotary-buffer.html)

:)

Mike,

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to watch....... :dblthumb2: I'm starting to put together an AutoGeek order, but there is a lot to learn before I buy the machines and other stuff.

Dave

-

zmanz
01-24-2012, 06:50 PM

good point. By hand Ceriglass took off decades old waterspots but for the scratches I used the DA with an orange pad. The scratches were super fine ones that only showed when the sun would hit the windshield so I didn't have to use much pressure

rider9195
01-24-2012, 06:54 PM
CeriGlass will work great. I did a small review on it, but CEE DOG (Corey's) review is much better.

RTexasF
01-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Why not call Safelite Auto Glass and ask them what a replacement would cost? Tell them it is not insurance but cash and it's generally less.

My insurance company told me that through them Safelite charged $450 for a 2004 Accord windshield but my deductible was $500. I called the local Safelite office and got it done in an hour, in my driveway, same glass, for less than $200. Can't hurt to call them and see.

Chevy-SS
01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Why not call Safelite Auto Glass and ask them what a replacement would cost? Tell them it is not insurance but cash and it's generally less.

My insurance company told me that through them Safelite charged $450 for a 2004 Accord windshield but my deductible was $500. I called the local Safelite office and got it done in an hour, in my driveway, same glass, for less than $200. Can't hurt to call them and see.

Yeah, I could probably get a new windshield for ~$400. But I really like OEM stuff. Plus, there's a chance that the new glass might actually be softer (faster wear). Or it might leak, which then means I have to go back to have it fixed. Or the guy might do a messy job. Or there might be a little extra wind noise (just happened to a buddy of mine who had his OEM Lexus windshield replaced).

So, there's just too many potential issues with a new windshield. Plus, I like the challenge of fixing the OEM. If I screw up the OEM windshield, then no big deal, I just go get a new one installed.

Thanks