PDA

View Full Version : headlight restoration: 3M or Meguiars kit

pmdureska
01-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Hi: just a general preference question. My son's daily driver has pretty heavily yellowed, hazy headlights. Any preferences of the meguiars heavy duty (2 step) kit versus the 3M kit from the forum members who have used these kits. thanks

Jacob Perry
01-19-2012, 02:15 PM
I love the 3m myself. But any wetsand will do the same job as 3m.

erock
01-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Ive had great results with the 3m kit. One thing to remember is to mask off the paint really well around the headlight. I use about three layers of painters tape to ensure the edges of the sandpaper disks dont burn through to the paint. If you can take the light out...even better!! Also use slow burst of power with your drill for the sanding steps or you will actually melt the plastic and make a big mess. Just quick bursts while moving the sanding disks across the surface of the light. Enjoy

DaHen
01-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Another vote for the 3M product. Plus used some even finer paper as well as what is in the kit.

Just take your time with it.

tw33k2514
01-19-2012, 04:46 PM
3M kit for sure.

mwoolfso
01-19-2012, 04:56 PM
My $0.02.....

My brother's Chevy had some really bad oxidation accumulated over the last few years. We tried the 3M kit last week, which included (6) 500 grit paper, (6) 800 grit paper (all for a drill), a trizact pad, and compound. In theory, 6 sheets per lens. We went through 4-5 of the 500 grit with serious pressure, wven converted to wet-sand mode as we were going through paper like it was nothing. Maybe we got 30% of the first lens addressed at this point... ya.... "that bad" was the assessment.

More paper for the drill would take us over budget and since Megs has a heavy duty product I suggested we go that route; and he is.

scjshaylen
01-19-2012, 05:04 PM
I've produced good results with the 3M kit, but I have not used the Meg's stuff. You could also get some wet sandpaper from Home Depot or any other big box store. I've used 400, 600, and 2000 grit. Then I used Meg's 105 and then Meg's 205 with my flex. Used a sealant, forget what type. Came out real nice.

pmdureska
01-19-2012, 06:10 PM
thanks to all. i'm gonna get this done first warmish weather day we have upcoming.

websdown
02-04-2012, 08:48 PM
I also used the 3m kit worked well. I sealed the lens with the new Meguiars Headlight Protectant picked it up at Autozone $7.99. Made them even alittle clearer than when i was done with the kit. If it doesnt last to long i will clean with Mineral Spirits and do Spar/Spirits application in summer when warm. The Meguiars bottle does say to reapply on occasion.That mite be the tip that it does not last to long.