PDA

View Full Version : Topping Questions

WRXINXS
01-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Mike,

I read your article about topping and had a few questions. I am doing a full detail on my black car in a few weeks (wash/iron x/clay/polish/protectant). I am going to use two coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant as the protectant. I have been tossing around the idea of using P21s caranuba paste wax over the two coats of WGDGPS. I had two questions though. Would the act of putting on the caranauba remove some of the sealant? I remember you saying something about this in a response to one of my threads a while ago. Also, because WGDGPS looks so good on its own would there really be any advantage to adding the caranuba?

Thanks,
Drew

RohrC
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
WDGPS looks amazing by itself! Any carnauba that does not contain any solvents should not bother the Wolfgang, presuming that you allow it to cure properly. I haven't used P21s before, however, if your pockets are deep enough try the Füzion (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-fuzion-wax-sample.html). It is absolutely stunning in it's looks!

I thought Füzion would talked up higher than it needed to be, until I actually tried it! The only downside, is the initial outlay of money.

Just thought I would pass along my experience.

shoeless89
01-19-2012, 10:32 AM
I agree WG DGPS should look great! If I were going to top it I would top it with Fuzion. I love the stuff! Totally worth the money. But back to your question, depending on the wax it shouldn't remove the sealant. A wax with a high solvent ie. Collinite 845 might effect it though.

WRXINXS
01-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Mike had said something about the process of putting on too many coats of wax (pushing around the wax with an applicator) will act as a cleaning process and that there is only so much wax the top of your paint can take?

RohrC
01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I definitely will not comment on Mike's behalf, however, I do believe that is at extremes. I have goofed around a bit and had three layers of wax on-top of BFWD (not WG DGPS, but similar) without any issues. I would venture to say, that if you were to put 8+ coats of wax would result in some challenges.

eboose7
01-19-2012, 12:30 PM
I have used WGDGPS topped with Pinnacle Souveran with great success. The shine is out of this world. It is slightly less expensive than Fuzion, and I can't imagine that the result would be any better. However, I will admit that I have not tried the Fuzion.

shoeless89
01-19-2012, 02:05 PM
I definitely will not comment on Mike's behalf, however, I do believe that is at extremes. I have goofed around a bit and had three layers of wax on-top of BFWD (not WG DGPS, but similar) without any issues. I would venture to say, that if you were to put 8+ coats of wax would result in some challenges.

There is only so much wax paint can "hold". After about 3-4 coats of anything your going to get extremely bad returns on your effort. Not much, if any, more protection will be building up. Some wax/sealants layer better then others. When we put 2 coats of something on, its more for even coverage then it is looks IME.

I have used WGDGPS topped with Pinnacle Souveran with great success. The shine is out of this world. It is slightly less expensive than Fuzion, and I can't imagine that the result would be any better. However, I will admit that I have not tried the Fuzion.

Souveran will give a really deep wet look. The difference between it and Fuzion is IMO durability. Fuzion gives a great wet warm look, and has pretty good durability. Souveran's durability is a couple of weeks to a month and also attracts dust much more then Fuzion. The price difference is pretty big, but with how much longer Fuzion last and the free refill I think it evens out. Souveran is still a fantastic wax and will always have a place. I think it just all depends on what your goal is.

eboose7
03-12-2012, 09:22 AM
I finally tried the Fuzion over WGDGPS and I really like the result. Durability is really not an issue for me, since my car is more or less a "garage queen." I only drive it on the weekends, when the weather permits. I must say I really like the look of the Fuzion, but I will continue to use both the Fuzion and Souveran.