PDA

View Full Version : 1st attempt with new GG DA

Bluefan
01-19-2012, 07:33 AM
So my order came in. Did not feel comfortable trying on my F350, new Explorer or 88 Camaro. So I made a few calls and everyone was busy. Being like a kid in a candy store and not wanting to wait I became a little more creative. I decided to try everything out on my 5 year old Kubota B2630. Ok so I know to detail your tractor is a bit weird but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Ok so a couple questions if anyone has time. 1. Feel I did good getting the scratches out but the shine is what I would just consider as "ok". I used a LC white pad with the 105, a grey pad with the 205 and a blue pad for 2 coats of Collinite 845. Any recomendations? Would 2 coats of the 205 help "bring out the shine"? Like I said all the scratches were gone and it did shine up a bit but was hoping for more. I have waxed my tractor before and the shine/reflextion was just a little better than a normal hand wax job. Are my expectaion levels to high? Should I apply more coats of the 205 to get the desired effect? Get another type of product? Any suggestions are more than welcome.

embolism
01-19-2012, 09:41 AM
shine comes from having a level surface. If the 105 and 205 got all the swirls out then what you have left is 95% of the final look. The lsp (last stage product -- 845 in this case) provides the final 5%

When you say more coats of 205, it sounds as though 205 is leaving something behind that adds to the final look. It does leave behind lubricating oils that help the abrasives work but these do not provide any protection and may actually hamper the bonding of a sealant which is why you read about people stripping polishing oils before putting on sealants and waxes.

The only reason you would do another round of 205 would be if there is still some hazing or micro marring on the finish.

There is jeweling which you can read about but Mike generally recommends getting the basics down first.

Bluefan
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Ok so maybe I did do it right, I guess i do need to remember it is a tractor :)

SonOfOC
01-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Don't base your results on the Kubota B2630. It' has single stage paint that your F-350 and Explorer does not.

Try a small test on you F-350 and you should get some fabulous results.

Jacob Perry
01-19-2012, 10:49 AM
:postpics:

Bluefan
01-19-2012, 11:30 AM
I will try and get some Jacob, whish you would tell me how you really feel :)

Good to know about the paint. Waiting until begining of February to be able to work on the truck and cars. To much overtime right now.

mikep288
01-19-2012, 11:48 AM
In addition to being single stage paint, I think your pad selection has a bit to do with it. If these are the same pads I'm thinking of, the grey would offer almost no cut and is more a wax/sealant pad. Give 205 a try on the white polishing pad and see if things improve a bit, as that will add a little extra bite and let the 205 further refine the work that 105 did. My usual order is 105/orange 205/white and if necessary and limited to only these polishes, 205 again on a grey to further refine the 205/white pad combo. If I have access to other polishes I would use something like Menz po85 or a finishing glaze like poorboys black hole or white diamond, or Wolfgang finishing glaze.

Hope this gives you a few ideas!

embolism
01-19-2012, 12:32 PM
yes test spots are always a good idea

what worked on the tractor won't necessarily work on the F350, and what works on the 350 won't necessarily be the best combo for the camaro, etc etc...

Danube
01-19-2012, 07:20 PM
:postpics:

jsgntulok
01-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Ok so maybe I did do it right, I guess i do need to remember it is a tractor :)
Also consider, the paint on your Kubota is probably not in the same quality category as what is on your truck and car. I probably didn't shine very much even on the day you brought it home.

Bluefan
01-20-2012, 07:19 AM
As requested here are the pics. Sorry no 50/50. I tried to get one close up on the hood but it turned out terrible.

Jacob Perry
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
I think it looks really good sir. Try some of the dodo warm color carnuba and i bet it will spice it up like you want. Thats a one stage paint so its pretty limited.

embolism
01-20-2012, 11:31 AM
try including your finger in the close up shots.

it looks like ppl are pointing at something when they do this but really it's to enable the camera to focus

Bluefan
01-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Awesome tip embolism. Thanks