PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use a Hot Water Pressure Washer?

ShineTimeDetail
01-18-2012, 11:01 PM
I had my first heavily salted Hummer today and it was a PITA to clean it! All I could think was I need to invest now in a hot water pressure washer to knock this grim off in a heart beat.

Anyone use hot water pressure washer? I have a 13 hp Honda engine with a 4 gpm 4000 psi general pump. I'm considering going and having a shop set it up with a hot water side.

jwgreen6
01-18-2012, 11:29 PM
I had my first heavily salted Hummer today and it was a PITA to clean it! All I could think was I need to invest now in a hot water pressure washer to knock this grim off in a heart beat.

Anyone use hot water pressure washer? I have a 13 hp Honda engine with a 4 gpm 4000 psi general pump. I'm considering going and having a shop set it up with a hot water side.

You could spend $2000+ on a new Alkota hot-water pressure washer or spend about $400 on the Mytee 240-120 Hot Turbo (http://www.mytee.com/products/product.php?id=240-120) in-line water heater. It'll work with any cold-water pressure washer. The biggest drawback is it's another thing to break, and the hook-up might be more work than what it is worth.

If you don't mind me asking, but isn't a 4000 psi pressure washer a bit aggressive when washing cars? I thought anything higher than 2000 psi is not desirable and could damage the car.

ShineTimeDetail
01-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Lol I run it at like 12-1500 p.s.i. when I use it there isnt much more than what a garden hose would put out...I just got a good deal on it and cars isn't the only thing I can use it on.

ShineTimeDetail
01-19-2012, 01:31 AM
How would that mytee work? Isn't it for a carpet extractor? How would that would that keep hot?

tcfatboys
01-19-2012, 02:33 AM
The Mytee - Hot Turbo / Ye sit is mainly for Portable extractor use / so You can have continuos Hot water, or a higher temp from your regular Portable Pump.

I'll rather go with a Hot Pressure washer / electric or Gas / that depends on you.
I have a Hotsy Unit / really good. nice Hot water. nice pressure
remember 1200psi, 1500psi going Hot, is way more than regular cold water pressure.

There are a lot of different places. Northern Tools / Hotsy / Hydro Tek
The cheaper and yes they are good. will be Northern Tools

Better quallity go for Hotsy or Hydro Tek. Man you will love to work with this type of machines!! I'm up grading from the Basic Portable Unit, to a Nice Powerfull Skid Unit / 16hp B&S 4000psi 250F 4.3 to 5.6gpm.
Hope the tip helps you!!! / by the way For nasty Trucks / try some Hotsy Detergents / Biodegradable. Man they Work Fine!!!

jwgreen6
01-19-2012, 08:12 AM
How would that mytee work? Isn't it for a carpet extractor? How would that would that keep hot?

I stand corrected. It is for converting a cold-water extractor, not a pressure washer. Sorry.

ShineTimeDetail
01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
It just sucks I just spend 4k on this new steamer.

ShineTimeDetail
01-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I guess I should get in there and say the reason this was such a pain to get clean was bc I was using my steam to clean it.

Do you think a 1000 psi would be enough...even if I wanted to get in on big rigs?

mark58
01-19-2012, 12:09 PM
The Mytee - Hot Turbo / Ye sit is mainly for Portable extractor use / so You can have continuos Hot water, or a higher temp from your regular Portable Pump.

I'll rather go with a Hot Pressure washer / electric or Gas / that depends on you.
I have a Hotsy Unit / really good. nice Hot water. nice pressure
remember 1200psi, 1500psi going Hot, is way more than regular cold water pressure.

There are a lot of different places. Northern Tools / Hotsy / Hydro Tek
The cheaper and yes they are good. will be Northern Tools

Better quallity go for Hotsy or Hydro Tek. Man you will love to work with this type of machines!! I'm up grading from the Basic Portable Unit, to a Nice Powerfull Skid Unit / 16hp B&S 4000psi 250F 4.3 to 5.6gpm.
Hope the tip helps you!!! / by the way For nasty Trucks / try some Hotsy Detergents / Biodegradable. Man they Work Fine!!!

Hotsy is a great unit. I had one that had kerosene burner and worked great. Not sure about new Hotsy's ( in past 4 yrs) they are made in Mexico.

tcfatboys
01-20-2012, 12:59 AM
That I know They are Made in the U.S / They are great machines / from the smallest Portable Unit / to the Big skid units

If you are looking to do heavier cleaning / Go with Hotsy!!

tcfatboys
01-20-2012, 01:04 AM
It just sucks I just spend 4k on this new steamer. What type of steamer did you Buy? Steam really helps you for all th einterior work

ofcourse not to high with the pressure and regulate the Steam flow also. I use a Portable steamer to do all my Plastic & Vinyl clean / you can use it after the pre-spray / to help remove the heavy soil, Then use the Portable extractor you will see a lot of difference, Belive me!!!

604_Snooze
01-20-2012, 05:56 AM
he got the Optima steamer.

mark58
01-20-2012, 09:30 AM
That I know They are Made in the U.S / They are great machines / from the smallest Portable Unit / to the Big skid units

If you are looking to do heavier cleaning / Go with Hotsy!!

Hotsy is a great unit. I had Hotsy for over 20 yrs. Now they are Made in Monterrey Mexico in same building Karcher is made, or at least they were 3 yrs ago.

SeaJay's
01-20-2012, 03:59 PM
It just sucks I just spend 4k on this new steamer.

So your steamer didn't do a good job of removing road salt huh?

Not that I was planning on getting one of those steamers any time soon, but with all the road salt we deal with in New England definitely good to know it won't work that well.

mark58
01-20-2012, 05:10 PM
So your steamer didn't do a good job of removing road salt huh?

Not that I was planning on getting one of those steamers any time soon, but with all the road salt we deal with in New England definitely good to know it won't work that well.

This subject was covered before. There is a difference between dry and wet steam. Dry steam will not have any water in it and wet steam works like a hot water pressure washer. Hotsy is considered a hot water pressure washer. I used one for many yrs and had one myself. They will NOT wash the car that would look spotless.It will remove road salt , mud and debris. You still need to do a hand wash. They have their place in Industry but not as a final car wash. At $3000.00 + it's is a waste of money. Best thing to do if anyone is considering buying one is to to equipment rental place and try it out. My 2 cents.