PDA

View Full Version : Spots on Glass After Polishing

Jaddie
01-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Dear Friends

I just used CeriGlass/Lake Country Glass Polishing Pad/Griot's 6" DA on my wife's windshield to remove wiper trails. I got rid of the trails, but there are some little white specks or flecks that won't come out.

I used Eraser and an Elastrofoam block in trying to scrub the little spots away, but they won't budge. Here are some examples:

http://www.jaddie.com/jpg/beckys_car_2012-01-17-1710.jpg

Is there a way to remove those specks from the windshield, or should I leave well enough alone?

I have some glass-cutting pads, too, but have never used those.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Setec Astronomy
01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Those are rock chips that are probably now filled in with polish residue. I always say those kinds of windshield defects are too deep to remove, but there is a contingent here that doesn't agree with me, so there may be hope.

Jaddie
01-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Dear Setec

Thank you very much for responding.

Is there a way to remove the residue?

rider9195
01-17-2012, 06:39 PM
These are chips indeed. I polished the glass on my car not too long ago with CeriGlass and a glass polishing pad and I figured when I was polishing on the glass it broke loose the glass that had been hit with rocks previously. Nothing you can really do about it.

alko
01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Those are rock chips that are probably now filled in with polish residue. I always say those kinds of windshield defects are too deep to remove, but there is a contingent here that doesn't agree with me, so there may be hope.

:iagree:

Yeah I just polished my windshield with DP High Performance Glass Restorer and now the small rock chips and pinhole's are more noticeable. It sucks!!!

rwright
01-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Dear Setec

Thank you very much for responding.

Is there a way to remove the residue?

I would try isopropyl alcohol or Optimum Power Clean if you have it.

BobbyG
01-17-2012, 07:19 PM
I would try isopropyl alcohol or Optimum Power Clean if you have it.

I agree with Richard....:props:

Like others have said it's more then likely small chips have become filled with residue. One of the above should prove successful however you might also use a toothbrush to scrub and dislodge the debris and possibly some compressed air.

Jaddie
01-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Dear Ryan, Alex, Richard, & Bobby

Thanks a bunch for responding.

Those are some good ideas that I'll try tomorrow. The toothbrush might just be the ticket. I used Eraser but didn't try working it into the spots with a toothbrush.

Thanks again for responding.

BobbyG
01-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Dear Ryan, Alex, Richard, & Bobby

Thanks a bunch for responding.

Those are some good ideas that I'll try tomorrow. The toothbrush might just be the ticket. I used Eraser but didn't try working it into the spots with a toothbrush.

Thanks again for responding.

Jaddie,

You're welcome and glad to be part of a solution...:props:

NY946
03-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Clay followed by a good pressure washing will take care of it.

Kaban
03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
nice lexus