PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Stainless Steel?

Pages : [1] 2

Johnnyboy
01-17-2012, 05:18 PM
My aftermarket wheels have a Powder Coated center with Polished stainless steel lips and I just removed them and put my stocks on until my new tires come in. In the mean time I did notice that the SS lips look as if they have minor swirls on them, I guess from everyday driving and whatnot.

I want to get as close to a mirror polish as possible. Any recomendations? I have my PC and some pads I can try with Megs Ult polish? I also have Mothers Alum polish which really didnt do much when I tried it by hand unless I try it with the PC and pad? I also have #0000 steel wool if that could help........ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance!

armorrig
01-17-2012, 05:39 PM
if the metal polish won't remove the swirls, you could try the steel wool and going in one direction with long strokes, then follow it with metal polish and a mini ball attached on a drill.

I have wheels with polished lips and have used sandpaper (1000, 2000), super fine steel wool, then going at it with metal polish using the mothers mini ball on a drill brings it to a brilliant shine. Only use sandpaper if you are refinishing the lips (or fixing curb rash, which I also used a dremel with the grinding, then sanding attachment( 240 grit I believe) to smooth out the rash), followed by the steps I mentioned previously.

Kristopher1129
01-17-2012, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't take steel wool to it. Polishing stainless steel is pretty much identical to polishing aluminum. The steel wool will most likely just put scratches into it, that you will have a tough time getting out.

I would try an aluminum compound, and polish. If you have to, try Flitz aluminum scuff pads, followed by the compound and polish. The scuff pads would be less aggressive than steel wool making it much easier to remove the etchings.

I used this method on a set of rims I had to repair in this thread...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/40466-camaro-project-northeast-detailing.html

chaotik
01-17-2012, 06:11 PM
I would check to see if the lips of ur rims are aluminum and not stainless....because if the rim is one complete piece, then the entire rim would have to be steel or stainless steel... And that would be one heavy rim if it was completely stainless. And the rim can't br aluminum with a stainless lip, because stainless and aluminum don't play nice together and the aluminum would corrode at a very rapid rate when in contact with stainless. I do metal polishing( mostly big rigs) here in Chicago when the weather is better. If they are in fact stainless and have a brushed/ milled finish to them, you will have to sand the lips with sandpaper to get the milling lines out first before trying to polish. Stainless is way harder the aluminum and takes some work to get an even shine on it. But, if u have the patience , you can get it done.

Johnnyboy
01-17-2012, 06:27 PM
They are definetely SS and thats one of the reasons that I bought them because they aren't legit 2 piece wheels but the SS lips are replaceable......just in case they get scuffed up real bad. Plus no black residue when I tried the Mothers polish.

Johnnyboy
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Not a very good pick but this is them.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww131/johnnyboygsxr/l_6dde1bfbfb0f4e52befcb5fb780c28ad.jpg

armorrig
01-17-2012, 07:07 PM
sorry OP I somehow disregarded the fact that your lips are SS.

toycar18
01-17-2012, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't take steel wool to it. Polishing stainless steel is pretty much identical to polishing aluminum. The steel wool will most likely just put scratches into it, that you will have a tough time getting out.

I would try an aluminum compound, and polish. If you have to, try Flitz aluminum scuff pads, followed by the compound and polish. The scuff pads would be less aggressive than steel wool making it much easier to remove the etchings.

I used this method on a set of rims I had to repair in this thread...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/40466-camaro-project-northeast-detailing.html

#0000 steel wool/metal polish doesn't scratch aluminum which is softer than stainless steel. I have polished my bare aluminum hundreds of times with steel wool and metal polish.

(we are not talking about regular steel wool - yes that would put scratches) #0000 is super fine steel wool

It is going take some muscle to polish them out.

chaotik
01-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Ok... Replaceable... Atleast u thought ahead...if you want gleaming stainless, I wouldn't try it by hand. It can b done, but just need patience , patience, patience. I always sand and then use a rotary with stainless rouge and 10" airway pads.

Kristopher1129
01-17-2012, 09:24 PM
#0000 steel wool/metal polish doesn't scratch aluminum which is softer than stainless steel. I have polished my bare aluminum hundreds of times with steel wool and metal polish.

(we are not talking about regular steel wool - yes that would put scratches) #0000 is super fine steel wool

It is going take some muscle to polish them out.

That's certainly news to me. I've only used #0000 steel wool and a metal polish lightly on chrome. I never use it for aluminum cause I've never had to I guess.

I would be afraid of the steel fibers being embedded into the aluminum and rusting. But whatever works, just not my style.

Setec Astronomy
01-17-2012, 09:42 PM
They are definetely SS and thats one of the reasons that I bought them because they aren't legit 2 piece wheels but the SS lips are replaceable......just in case they get scuffed up real bad. Plus no black residue when I tried the Mothers polish.

You'll get plenty of black residue from stainless...sounds to me like they are clearcoated.

Johnnyboy
01-18-2012, 08:17 AM
To be honest I should've had written BARELY any black residue. Some black residue did come off but nothing like on Aluminum. I didnt notice I put thaty on there. Sorry!

Rix6
01-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Try the ultimate polish first on the stainless veneer, in case it is clearcoated.

toycar18
01-18-2012, 07:01 PM
I would be afraid of the steel fibers being embedded into the aluminum and rusting.

Not to argue with you but I never had that happen. I have had bare aluminum wheels since 2001 one my only vehicle. Lots of polishing to keep them clean!

sparty
01-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Please do not use steel wool on aluminum. Stainless yes, aluminum never ever ever. I have yet to find a solid ss polish. Most work well, but if you want a perfect finish, the wheels have to see a polishing wheel with dedicated ss compounds. Then put a sealer on them. You will be good for sometime, depending on driving conditions. Keeping ss perfect is a never ending process of polishing wheel work. Same for bare aluminum. Trust me, I have spent a month of Sundays polishing both.

Sparty