PDA

View Full Version : Correct Regimen?

Pages : [1] 2

RhetoricMixes
01-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Since ive begun my obsession with all things detail I have to ask a few of the experts on here whether or not im using the correct regimen when cleaning up my car.

After I have polished and put on my LSP (Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0) my car looks fantastic for about a week then it loses some gloss (still looks good though). To spruce things up I use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer to get rid of the dust and then go back over the car with Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax. Things look great for another week and im good. Is the tech wax 2.0 supposes to lose its gloss that quickly after being applied?

Also since i live in a aprtment and dont have a driveway to wash my car and I cant go through the touchless wash due to heavy degreasers being used. If my car is dirtier than light dust but not caked with filth i usually just spray it down with some light pressure water pressure to pre soak it and then high pressure water (from one of those drive in bay things) and that gets rid of all the dirt on the car. My 2nd question is that when i dry my car using a waffle weave towel the slickness is gone and it feels like I "wiped" away the LSP since its squeaky clean and not slick. Am I doing something wrong when im cleaning my car this way?

Sorry for the wall of text, all help appreciated.

rider9195
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't think NXT 2.0 has very long durability. I would get another sealant to use with better durability.

RhetoricMixes
01-17-2012, 04:36 PM
I was thinking that but theres no way it can be that short right? BTW im only using it since it was given to me as a gift and this is my first time using it.

rider9195
01-17-2012, 04:37 PM
It could be that short. I have heard of some cases were it only lasted a couple weeks. It all depends on conditions.

shoeless89
01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't think NXT 2.0 has very long durability. I would get another sealant to use with better durability.

:iagree: Invest in a higher quality wax or sealant. You won't regret it. I like Blackfire Wet Diamond, Collinite 845, Menzerna Powerlock, and Fuzion. You could also use a rinseless wash like ONR to wash your car without a hose or if its too dirty to use a QD but not dirty enough to merit an full wash, try Ultima Waterless Wash+

tw33k2514
01-17-2012, 04:43 PM
I threw my NXT 2.0 away. It was that bad. Looks nice, but if a small child's spit comes within 40 feet it is gone...

Get some BFWD or 845.

rider9195
01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
:iagree: Invest in a higher quality wax or sealant. You won't regret it. I like Blackfire Wet Diamond, Collinite 845, Menzerna Powerlock, and Fuzion. You could also use a rinseless wash like ONR to wash your car without a hose or if its too dirty to use a QD but not dirty enough to merit an full wash, try Ultima Waterless Wash+

ONR would be a great choice.
Blackfire Wet Diamond for sure as well. Super easy to use and long lasting.

ski2
01-17-2012, 04:50 PM
You can use Optimum No Rinse to wash the car--just do a search here and on Utube for some how to info and videos.

For a high quality, inexpensive Sealant take a look at Duragloss 501/105 with 601. Easy to use and very durable. Take a look at the current threads in "Detailing 101" for more info.

dougaross
01-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Since ive begun my obsession with all things detail I have to ask a few of the experts on here whether or not im using the correct regimen when cleaning up my car.

After I have polished and put on my LSP (Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0) my car looks fantastic for about a week then it loses some gloss (still looks good though). To spruce things up I use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer to get rid of the dust and then go back over the car with Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax. Things look great for another week and im good. Is the tech wax 2.0 supposes to lose its gloss that quickly after being applied?

Also since i live in a aprtment and dont have a driveway to wash my car and I cant go through the touchless wash due to heavy degreasers being used. If my car is dirtier than light dust but not caked with filth i usually just spray it down with some light pressure water pressure to pre soak it and then high pressure water (from one of those drive in bay things) and that gets rid of all the dirt on the car. My 2nd question is that when i dry my car using a waffle weave towel the slickness is gone and it feels like I "wiped" away the LSP since its squeaky clean and not slick. Am I doing something wrong when im cleaning my car this way?

Your wash procedure will not get your car clean. When you wipe with your waffle weave does it get dirty? Use ONR following high pressure rinse. DG501 would be a good paint cleaner and sealant.

szjalo
01-17-2012, 05:09 PM
I ve been used nxt 2.0 for a while, and the wax always gave me a 2 months protection in Texas heat(daily drive no garage). From the water beading I can tell the wax lasts enough long for me(used to rewax every month or every other month)

However nxt 2.0 seems to have the issue of losing gloss very soon. Usually after 3-7 days, the gloss will gone, although the wax was still there. I don't know why was that.

I'm still using nxt now and then, especially on some customers who don't wanna pay a lot and don't quite care about the shine of paint. Anyway the gloss of nxt2.0 is brilliant for the 24 hrs

RhetoricMixes
01-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Your wash procedure will not get your car clean. When you wipe with your waffle weave does it get dirty? Use ONR following high pressure rinse. DG501 would be a good paint cleaner and sealant.

When i dry my car no dirt is visible on the towel hence the reason why i was wondering why the gloss goes away. I know im probably not pulling it off with the towel (i always let sealants bond at least 24 hours before any other things are done to the surface).

RhetoricMixes
01-17-2012, 05:54 PM
I ve been used nxt 2.0 for a while, and the wax always gave me a 2 months protection in Texas heat(daily drive no garage). From the water beading I can tell the wax lasts enough long for me(used to rewax every month or every other month)

However nxt 2.0 seems to have the issue of losing gloss very soon. Usually after 3-7 days, the gloss will gone, although the wax was still there. I don't know why was that.

Well at least now i know that im not the only one losing gloss after a week or so. I live in Texas also BTW.

After reading a few things from yall I think ive come to the conclusion that the durability is not a issue with NXT its just a gloss problem. Ill definetly check out ONR, havent used it before. Thanks guys.

RhetoricMixes
01-17-2012, 06:05 PM
I threw my NXT 2.0 away. It was that bad. Looks nice, but if a small child's spit comes within 40 feet it is gone...

Get some BFWD or 845.

Yeah im really close to just throwing this stuff, i expected far better since i use every other meguiars product out there.

Shawnw
01-17-2012, 06:40 PM
When i dry my car no dirt is visible on the towel hence the reason why i was wondering why the gloss goes away. I know im probably not pulling it off with the towel (i always let sealants bond at least 24 hours before any other things are done to the surface).
I agree. I used to do the same thing with my old truck and it was incredibly noticeable that dirt was not being washed off as well as one would expect since it was black. It's going to take some sort of car shampoo and wash media to bring the gloss back.

Actually, at this point, I'd say start off with Dawn to strip the car bare. Sounds like you've thrown a lot of products onto that paint without having a very clean surface to put it on.

BobbyG
01-17-2012, 07:55 PM

Please see below....

:checkit:

If my car is dirtier than light dust but not caked with filth i usually just spray it down with some light pressure water pressure to pre soak it and then high pressure water (from one of those drive in bay things) and that gets rid of all the dirt on the car.

My 2nd question is that when i dry my car using a waffle weave towel the slickness is gone and it feels like I "wiped" away the LSP since its squeaky clean and not slick. Am I doing something wrong when im cleaning my car this way?

I suspect that because the paint is still dirty the wax you've applied degrades quickly thus the reason for what you've described above.

Basic steps in order are:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correction & Polish
Seal
Wax

Rinsing regardless how many times won't do much more than, well, rinsing.

Washing with a quality car wash soap and water solution loosens and dissolves dirt and surface contaminates. Once a panel is thoroughly washed it's important to rinse it with clean water.

Claying is also another important step in preparing the finish for polishing, sealing, and waxing. By avoiding this step, particles that have become embedded in the finish that washing couldn't remove will remain and cause issues with the next steps.

Any finish that's not properly prepared or at least clean, will not hold a wax for long especially an economy product.

Depending on your goal, once the paint has been clayed, the next logical step would be using a paint cleaner.

Examples of Paint Cleaners

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish, prewax polish, car polish (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-gloss-enhancing-polish.html)
Duragloss PreCleaner (PC) #652 (http://www.autogeek.net/duprp6.html)
SONAX Paint Cleaner, sonax prewax cleaner, sonax car polish, sonax cleaner polish (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-paint-cleaner.html)

Once this step is completed the finish is ready to be sealed or waxed.