PDA

View Full Version : Is The Microfiber System Good With a FLEX?

ShineTimeDetail
01-17-2012, 02:38 PM
So first off I've had this polisher for over a week now and of course we've had bad weather;( Anyways I have the 3401. I tried researching and I couldn't find much. I remember reading a thread once about the microfiber system not doing well with the FLEX. I didn't pay much attention to it since I never planned on dropping that kind of money but with the new years special, I broke! haha

So are foam pads better or does the microfiber system do better? I have never tried the MF system so any input would be great!

:dblthumb2:

shoeless89
01-17-2012, 03:19 PM
I don't have the FLEX but in my mind since the MF pads tend to grab a little more then foam along with the forced rotation of the 3401 would make it harder to control. Just my guess :)

RaskyR1
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Lets just say it's better with traditional DA's like the GG6 and G110v2. ;)

Nick McKees37
01-17-2012, 03:32 PM
You will hear mixed opinions, like anything else, but a lot of people have had great success with the Flex XC3401 and the Meguiar's MF pads. The most common complaint is the pads feel "grabby", I think that's in part to the 3401's rather large orbit. Others strictly use the MF finishing pad with the 3401 as it provides more cushion and better control than the thinner MF cutting pad.

One thing to keep in mind if you plan on using the 3401 with the MF pads is to turn the speed down. If you set the speed higher than 3 on the 3401, you can count on excess wear being put on the MF pads.

I've used both, and I prefer the MF pads with the traditional DA, like the 7424xp or G110v2. But to me, the 3401 paired with a traditional foam pad is the cat's meow for DA polishing. :dblthumb2:

chevchenko
01-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Just slow down the speed from 4.5 to 3.5 and use less pressure. If you do this it will work great.

Mike Phillips
01-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Just to add to what Nick posted... the product makes a difference too...

The term is grabby and that's how it feels when you use microfiber pads with Meguiar's D300 Correction Compound. Switch over to a polishing microfiber pad and the D301 Finishing Wax, (slipperier than a compound), and the buffing characteristic becomes smoother.

Correction work with a Flex 3401
If I'm going to do correction work with a Flex 3401 I would choose a foam cutting pad or a PFW over a microfiber pad.

Polishing or machine waxing with a Flex 3401
If I'm going to do polishing work then I would choose foam pads over microfiber pads.

Definitely something anyone with a Flex 3401 should try to experience themselves so they have their own first-hand experience...

I'm teaching a class on the Flex 3401 at Mobile Tech Expo and I'm not recommending microfiber pads in the class. Of course there's always an element of personal preference involved with choosing and using tool, pads and products.

If you look through the "Autogeek Car of the Week" (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/) threads, you'll see we use the Flex 3401 a lot but never with microfiber pads.

:)

ShineTimeDetail
01-17-2012, 11:40 PM
I figured that foam pads would be better! Thanks guys for all the advice!

With all this wind here in STL the cover on my dads 76 Vette came off and it's always covered so I never see it. Well I looked at it yesterday and I said, 'heres the perfect opportunity to clean this up!' It was too cold and windy for me to go out polish it and not make any money so I stayed inside and sat on AG all day haha