PDA

View Full Version : Poly-Resin Paint Coatings

otterness
01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Mobile Detailing in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Paradise Valley, Tempe, Maricopa (http://www.polyresinmobiledetailing.com/Auto_Detailing_in_Scottsdal.html)

Has anyone heard of this product? I did a google search on it to find out more about what it is and can't find anything on it.

PristinePro
01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Funny you posted this. I just came across the same website. I think this guy was at the car show here in Scottsdale advertising his work. The car he had was pretty scratched up looking so I dont know about it filling in scratches as well as he states. Also I did not like the before and afters on the site. The before shots would be with the sun dead middle of the hood showing swirls and scratches and then the after shots would be in the shade where you cannot tell if they are gone or not. Could be a good product or could be a gimmick... I don't know. I would like to give it a shot if it's as good as he makes it sound. Opti coat 2.0 is a resin based product but he mentions layering his product so I guess thats out then. If you figure it out let me know.

TLMitchell
01-18-2012, 08:31 PM
The car he had was pretty scratched up looking so I dont know about it filling in scratches as well as he6 states. Also I did not like the before and afters on the site.

Why would an experienced, professional detailer want to fill anything? If what he offers is as long lasting as he touts I'd think a full correction prior to application would be the way to go. But that's just me.

The before shots would be with the sun dead middle of the hood showing swirls and scratches and then the after shots would be in the shade where you cannot tell if they are gone or not.

I only scrolled through the first gallery but I did see one After shot with full sun, it looked good.

TL

PristinePro
01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Why would an experienced, professional detailer want to fill anything? If what he offers is as long lasting as he touts I'd think a full correction prior to application would be the way to go. But that's just me.

Well thats just it. He claims that it fills the scratches and that it will last up to 3 years like this. So there is no need to polish the scratches out from his point of view. He doesn't offer any buffing or polishing, just claying and this service. It sounds like a great product that truly preserves the paint if its really up to those standards. However I would still prefer to compound and polish the car prior to application.

I only scrolled through the first gallery but I did see one After shot with full sun, it looked good.

TL

The one you may have seen was in the sun, but not at the same angle that shows all of the paint defects. All of the before's where close ups of the paint with the sun showing all of the paint defects. Then the afters where from further back showing the whole car and yes they did look good. Though if I where to take a car in good shape such as a porsche and slap an average wax on it. Then take a pic of the whole car it too could look just as good in a picture. I just would like to see some comparable pictures to see that it is truly covering the defects as he claims it does. I mean if your making a claim that there is no need for polishing because the product covers the defects I would like to see proof. I'm sure someone would agree with me on this.

PristinePro
01-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Oops that came out kind of funny. I put part of my response in the middle of your quotes. Im sure you'll figure it out.

Mike Moore
01-21-2012, 08:53 AM
"Grant me the power tools to correct what I can, the fillers to correct what I can't, and the wisdom to know the difference."

There are a few instances that I have run into where the clear coat thickness was very thin. (probably from too many corrections)

Quote from the above Poly-Resin website: "This restorative procedure, requires the skills of a professional."
There is nothing real "special" about the application process of what I use. It can be applied with a PC and a foam pad.
I don't know about this particular product but I have used a product for years that has similar but different results.

Marketing quote from website: "Micro scratches, swirls, and oxidation are all removed permanently...It contains no waxes, polymers, or resins because those type of ingredients and chemicals have very low melting points, do not filter out UV rays, and do not hold up to regular washing... it bonds to your vehicle’s paint through a covalent chemical bond which is not possible with any other product..."

It is supposed to be applied to the entire vehicle but I normally use just small amounts to permanently fill scratches in the clear coat.
Recently, I did an entire vehicle with it due to the fact that the OEM MoCo clear coat was VERY VERY soft.
It was like polishing Jello and wiping the polish off with a Brillo pad! I used it to make the CC harder and resistant.
You could breathe on the CC and watch scratches appear from you breath! (well it seamed like that to me)

It's not always about taking away CC to level paint. Do I believe in all the hype...no way!...I just know what works for me.

BobbyG
01-21-2012, 10:08 AM
"Grant me the power tools to correct what I can, the fillers to correct what I can't, and the wisdom to know the difference."

WOW, What a profound statement!! :dblthumb2:

You should see this in a banner format and I'd hang it in my garage I'll tell ya!! :applause:

PristinePro
01-26-2012, 01:44 PM
It is supposed to be applied to the entire vehicle but I normally use just small amounts to permanently fill scratches in the clear coat.
Recently, I did an entire vehicle with it due to the fact that the OEM MoCo clear coat was VERY VERY soft.
It was like polishing Jello and wiping the polish off with a Brillo pad! I used it to make the CC harder and resistant.
You could breathe on the CC and watch scratches appear from you breath! (well it seamed like that to me)

When you use this product on small areas does it blend in with the cc well or can you notice where it has been used? It sounds like a good product. I hate when I buff a neglected car out and there are those few scratches left that are to deep to remove.

Wow thats some soft clear coat! I don't know if I've come across anything that soft. Maybe you have compounded so much that your breath is abrasive now.

The softest cc I've come across was a weathered black NSX a few years ago. It looked like it was washed with a brillo pad. I started with a light compound and medium foam pad to test a spot and it swirled like I was using a heavy compound with a wool pad. I switched to an aggressive polish and finished with a fine polish with great results.

richy
01-26-2012, 03:56 PM

You should see this in a banner format and I'd hang it in my garage I'll tell ya!! :applause:

Bobby, I agree wholeheartedly!!!

DealerDetailer
01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
I just looked at his site too. Very interesting photos to say the least. Some before and afters look the same with just increased light adjustments from a photo program.

I was also looking in his Domesic Car Galler at the Black Z06 correction and in the After photo (# 31 down) you can see the sun on the drivers door and its swirled up. Even noticable on the fender too.

RTexasF
01-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Check out the prices and work descriptions. The guy apparently never even opens a door except to do the jambs! No interior glass, no vacuum......nice work if you can get it.

I too noticed the difference in the before & after shots in the way they were set up. Questionable results but interesting I must say.

Some of the pictures say Polyresin and some say Polycoat so??? Is this something he brews in his garage or what?

RTexasF
01-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Check out the prices and work descriptions. The guy apparently never even opens a door except to do the jambs! No interior glass, no vacuum......nice work if you can get it.

I too noticed the difference in the before & after shots in the way they were set up. Questionable results but interesting I must say.

Some of the pictures say Polyresin and some say Polycoat so??? Is this something he brews in his garage or what?

I did find this googling.....spray on polymer coatings:

Industrial Coatings | Industrial Applications | Polyurethane Spray Coating | Pure Polyurea | Aromatic Aliphatic | Chemical Resistance coatings (http://www.polycoatusa.com/industrial_coatings.shtml)

mjlinane
01-26-2012, 07:31 PM
"Grant me the power tools to correct what I can, the fillers to cover what I can't, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Bobby, I agree wholeheartedly!!!

I only wish he started it with "A wise man once typed...." ;)

Jacob Perry
01-26-2012, 08:09 PM
I will agree that the pics are brightened in photoshop and i still see tons of swirls.

Mike Moore
01-27-2012, 06:30 AM
When you use this product on small areas does it blend in with the cc well or can you notice where it has been used?

I have used this product for many years to fill scratches & correct many different types of cc flaws.
The good part is they stay permanently corrected. It is not a painted on "coating" type product.

My first correction with it was eight years ago This was on my wife's Harley. She had a leather fork bag that trashed the clear coat on the top of her fender. My detailer (at the time) told me it needed to be resprayed. So I thought, what the heck, I'll give this stuff a try. In a few minutes (by hand) it was gone. I took it back to him a week later for a detail and dared him to find it. He could not! It is eight years later and the 3"-4" diameter place on the fender is still gone and looks perfect.

Short answer...Ii blends in perfectly and no you can't tell where it's been used.
BTW-It makes short work of RIDS.