PDA

View Full Version : optimum power clean warning

Pages : [1] 2 3

jamores23
01-17-2012, 10:22 AM
I have been using megs apc plus for awhile and i decided to try out OPC. I sprayed some wheels down with it, the wheels were not hot and were not in direct sunlight. i sprayed it on and cleaned the wheels quickly, when i rinsed off, the etched the wheels. the wheels where factory lexus rx330 wheels. I never had this problem with megs apc plus and to be honest i was quite disappointed . now, opc is pretty good with interior and the steam machine. Im just giving everybody a heads up with opc and wheels, i know a few other people on here that have had the same problems...

toycar18
01-17-2012, 10:47 AM
did u use it straight?

embolism
01-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Is this the new or old formula?

jamores23
01-17-2012, 10:52 AM
new formula diluted 4:1

SonOfOC
01-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Wow! I've used OPC on numerous Lexus at 3:1. Have not had that problem. (Knocking on wood!)

Are the wheel ruined or salvable with some polishing?

Fast Eddie
01-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Hm, well this is the first time I have heard of someone having issues with OPC on wheels, interesting.

SpoiledMan
01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
It's possible that your cleaning actually revealed what was done prior.

Bunky
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Given that it can be used on leather, etc. there must be some other variable involved.

Kaban
01-17-2012, 12:00 PM
It's possible that your cleaning actually revealed what was done prior.

I am not really sure what that means. Are you referring to OPC stripping any fillers that may have been left by previously applied wax/sealant or glaze/polish?

Thanks for the heads up OP.

SpoiledMan
01-17-2012, 12:02 PM
I am not really sure what that means. Are you referring to OPC stripping any fillers that may have been left by previously applied wax/sealant or glaze/polish?

Thanks for the heads up OP.

Exactly! It's possible that the damage was covered up by tire dressing or just covered by the dirt and grime.

alko
01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I use OPC at the same strength, sometimes even full strength on my fiance's RX350 and I've had no problems. Are you sure the wheels weren't etched from something else prior to you using OPC?

Flannigan
01-17-2012, 12:24 PM
I think there is something else at play here. I've used OPC on many wheels, and lots of leather as well, and never had an issue, even at full strength. I would agree with the poster who said it might have cleaned off something (bad touchup paint maybe) and revealed damage that had been done previously. Just my .02. Hopefully Chris can chime in with his thoughts.

CEE DOG
01-17-2012, 12:35 PM
I am careful about spraying it on the car as well Jamores. I remember this. Was it etching or little stain spots? If etching I would agree with Dave. If stain spots, I too had an interesting experience which I was lucky to get out of having to polish. I remember using ****** didn't work for removing the stains for you like it did for me. I'm curious if Dave is right and it uncovered something. I can't remember the details now if it was stain or etch?

Dr Oldz
01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
:postpics:

FUNX650
01-17-2012, 01:07 PM
the wheels where factory lexus rx330 wheels.

Sorry to hear this!

I might have missed it...But what "type" of wheels did you say they were from the factory?

From my experience...Some degeaser's behavior patterns differ on various types of wheels. Some even have characteristics of rust removers.

Hopefully: Chris@Optimum, or his "Boss" Dr. G., will chime in before any more guessing-games are involved, mine included.

:)

Bob