PDA

View Full Version : Paint technology that...allows scratches to mend themselves

silverfox
01-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Saw this on a tech forum....

"Nissan on Monday announced the company’s new Scratch Shield case for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. The case is made of ABS plastic that is designed to create a rigid, robust and tighter-fitting case. Perhaps the most exciting news is the case’s unique ability to heal itself.

Nissan’s Scratch Shield paint is the world’s first paint technology that allows fine scratches to quickly mend themselves. The paint is the same that is featured on numerous Nissan and Infiniti automobiles throughout the world. When damage occurs to the coating, the chemical structure is able to react to change back to its original shape and fill the gap, thus “healing” the blemish. The healing process takes between an hour and a week depending on the damage. The Scratch Shield is currently being beta tested in Europe, with the technology also being licensed to NTT Docomo for use on mobile phones"

Flannigan
01-17-2012, 08:32 AM
I think they tried this, or something similar before with less than stellar results. I think people refered to it as "bubblegum" clear, since it was very difficult to correct with a buffer. Maybe this is different though.

Porsche Pilot
01-17-2012, 09:40 AM
I had thought that Infiniti had stopped using that paint system but have heard it is back. Porsche is also developing a similiar healing paint system. I agree with Flannigan that it is difficult to machine polish.

badhemi
01-17-2012, 11:07 AM
be very careful with this paint. i've done 2 G37's and it's difficult paint to work with. put away the flex and use the PC imo. also this paint gets swrils very easy

Glimmer Twin
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Here's a link with a picture of this.

Scratch Shield: Nissan Introduces World’s First Self-Healing iPhone Case | TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/17/nissan-scratch-shield/)

Mike Phillips
01-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Maybe someone can contact Nissan and ask them which specific compounds and polishes they recommend for any correction work if the paint is damaged beyond what the paint itself can repair.

It would also be interesting to find out if it maintains itself as a swirl free finish? Swirls are just scratches after all so if it can repair itself, or rather if it's always in a constant state of repairing itself then it should be maintaining a swirl free finish.

I love to give people and technology the benefit of the doubt by past experience has shown paints like these to not be compound and polish friendly. Time will tell.

:)

Mike Phillips
01-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Sorry to say, Katie never came back to update her thread... it has some related information however...

Swirls on '08 Infiniti G37s - Self-Healing Paint ? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/26609-swirls-08-infiniti-g37s-self-healing-paint.html)

:)

RhetoricMixes
01-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Very happy that my 2010 g37 does not have this type of paint. I just worked on it this weekend and only had time for a polish an wax and not full correction. Using Meguiars Ultimate Polish with a white ccs pad and my 7424xp I came out to about 90% correction. Is it weird that I had to use speed 5 just to get any results from this combo on this car? Ive never had to use anything over 4 when using UP before FYI.

badhemi
01-17-2012, 12:57 PM
i've done the same 08 G37 3 times in the last 2 years. the owner is very particular about how the car is kept. after seeing it the second time i gave him a class on how to wash it then checked the paint. more swirls just from washing it. this is a very "soft" paint. it takes time to do it correctly. don't hurry & take your time

Flannigan
01-17-2012, 01:00 PM
I forgot to add too, IME G37/G37 paint is also VERY thin from the factory, to the point that you have to live with some marks if thay are too deep.

SkateForGirl
01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Very happy that my 2010 g37 does not have this type of paint. I just worked on it this weekend and only had time for a polish an wax and not full correction. Using Meguiars Ultimate Polish with a white ccs pad and my 7424xp I came out to about 90% correction. Is it weird that I had to use speed 5 just to get any results from this combo on this car? Ive never had to use anything over 4 when using UP before FYI.

I usually use that combo at speed 5 as well so nothing weird about it :xyxthumbs:

RhetoricMixes
01-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Ah i see, thanks skateforgirl :props:

MSC6
01-17-2012, 07:48 PM

Are you sure about your car not having it. My wife's 09 G37x had it. It's a total bunch of non-sense anyway. There was nothing self healing about it that I saw.

A PC and Menzerna Nano/LC white pad never did any harm on her car and took care of any swirls. I think her owners manual said to never use any kind of machine polisher or something to that affect but I have never had any problems with light correction.

RhetoricMixes
01-17-2012, 10:31 PM
I can't find the link but I read on a Infiniti forum that they discontinued it for the 2010 models. I'll have to check the owners manual for the warning on machine polishing.