PDA

View Full Version : Pad burnning

Pages : [1] 2

monito
01-16-2012, 07:11 PM
I noticed thar the size of the back plate I received was not 5 in but 4.5 inches. Aftet using 6.5 orange pad for about 30 minutes it burned on the velcro area. The black and white no problems. In my humble opinion 2 inches of play is way too much. I used a newone and the 2nd one burnned in about 5 minutes.

Any ideas?

Pat

Danube
01-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Welcome to AG first of all!!

What product did you use on the pad and how much?

rider9195
01-16-2012, 07:18 PM
6 inch backing plate with 6.5 inch pads :xyxthumbs:

dad07
01-16-2012, 07:20 PM
I noticed thar the size of the back plate I received was not 5 in but 4.5 inches. Aftet using 6.5 orange pad for about 30 minutes it burned on the velcro area. The black and white no problems. In my humble opinion 2 inches of play is way too much. I used a newone and the 2nd one burnned in about 5 minutes.

Any ideas?

Pat

6.5 pads on a 5inch plate is your problem........you need a 6inch backing plate

Rsurfer
01-16-2012, 07:30 PM
If your humble opinion was that 2" of overhang was too much and after burning the velcro, why did you jump in the fire again? Yeah Pat, my idea is to get the right size backing plate and pad.

Any ideas?

Pat

PPLd
01-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Any ideas?

Pat

Hi,

Welcome to AGO!
It would be nice if you can upload a photo showing the burning of your pad, about how the velcro was burnt.
While you are supposed to use a 6 inch backing plate for 6.5 inch pad, it should not make your pad burn due to that reason alone. I have used a 7 inch pad on a 5 inch backing plate before with no problem. Please describe the product and procedure used, how long and how hard you pressed on the machine during the process.
If you keep pressing on the same spot, you can make the pad / paint very hot even with DA.

Cheers,
:props:

LegacyGT
01-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Honestly I think backing plate burning / melting is heat coming from the polisher / spindle assembly.

mark58
01-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Pad type? Backing plate type? Short or long loop backing plate? Sounds like operator error to me.:props:

Rsurfer
01-16-2012, 09:49 PM
From using too much pressure perhaps?
Honestly I think backing plate burning / melting is heat coming from the polisher / spindle assembly.

Danube
01-17-2012, 12:32 AM
We can guess further, but obviously more info is needed to provide the opinion.

Midnight1700
01-17-2012, 04:56 AM
What polisher are you using? I currently use the Flex and they do generate a bit of heat and some pads just can't take it...

monito
01-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all of the comments.

I bought a Porter Cable (PC 7424XP) kit from AG which comes with a 5 in backing plate (BP) (mine measured 4.5 in its black) with 6.5 in pads.

When I first started using the pad it worked like a charm. Followed the directions from Mike and added a piece of white masking tape to know when the pad was rotating. So every time I noticed that the pad was not rotating I would immediately pull back.

I used Pinnacle Swirl Remover at 5.5 setting on the PC just like the video. The orange side is perfect, now I have 2 burned pads (ouch $25) I wish they would include the 6 in BP with the PC.

I did use the washer in between...

Thanks

Pat

monito
01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Here are the pics

Bobby B.
01-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Going by the pictures you posted it looks like the pad is being worked to long with to much pressure being applied. I would recommend using at least 3 pads per step when polishing a vehicle. No problem using a 5" backing plate with 6.5" pads. Most of the PC-7424xp Kits come with 6.5" pads and 5" backing plate.

monito
01-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Going by the pictures you posted it looks like the pad is being worked to long with to much pressure being applied. I would recommend using at least 3 pads per step when polishing a vehicle. No problem using a 5" backing plate with 6.5" pads. Most of the PC-7424xp Kits come with 6.5" pads and 5" backing plate.

I actually used the 2nd orange pad for 2 x 6 passes and it failed 5 mins (I'm guessing) making sure pad was rotating.

Thanks,

-pat

PS Penny in customer service is absolutely awesome...