PDA

View Full Version : xpel clear bra

jamores23
01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
can i use c quartz on this?

Matt S.
01-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Yes, CQuartz can be used on paint protection film without issue.

embolism
01-16-2012, 12:36 PM
is it the self healing xpel? I'd test it (including the healing part) on a small section first if so.

you don't want to stop it from self healing after all...

FUNX650
01-16-2012, 12:47 PM
This is an excellent question for the XPel staff. (There could also be a warranty issue at stake, as well.)

Whenever I'm in doubt about anything XPel:

Corporate Office & Training Center:
XPEL Technologies Corp.
618 W. Sunset Road
San Antonio, Texas 78216 U.S.A
Toll Free: (800) 447-9928
International: (210) 678-3700
Fax: (210) 678-3701
email: info@xpel.com

Hope this may be of some assistance.

:)

Bob

jamores23
01-16-2012, 12:58 PM
ok to clear things up, I called xpel, on there "self healing" films you cannot coat it with anything or polish them out. On the "extreme" film yes, you can coat and polish.

FUNX650
01-16-2012, 01:10 PM
ok to clear things up, I called xpel, on there "self healing" films you cannot coat it with anything or polish them out. On the "extreme" film yes, you can coat and polish.

OK...

But did they specifically say what products to use, or not to use...when coating and polishing the "extreme" films? (I know what I've been told before)

There have been some conflicting info about using certain products on XPel films, whether they be "extreme" films, or not.

I have found the "XPel sealant" to be the "cat's pajamas"!!!
I personally don't see the need to: Leave others to chance.
Your choice, of course.

Bob

jamores23
01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
i agree fun, the guy told me he was more of the software guy there and no one else was available to help me out. i'd rather not experiment with a customers car.

Twister
01-16-2012, 03:51 PM
I say if you decide to try it to test out on a small inconspicuous spot first.

I have Xpel on my truck and ran into an issue with a product that I was testing. I heard it was safe on the film but my film had a reaction so I couldn't use it

FUNX650
01-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I say if you decide to try it to test out on a small inconspicuous spot first.

I have Xpel on my truck and ran into an issue with a product that I was testing. I heard it was safe on the film but my film had a reaction so I couldn't use it

Excellent advise! :props:

ALSO:

RE: In regards to polishing XPel PPF:
I remember this from a previous thread/posts of yours:

I got a reply from Xpel and I've meant to post it but kept forgetting. This might be helpful to someone else

Quote:
"The best solution is going to be to use 3M Perfect -It part# 06064 Machine Polish, with the coordinating buffing pad part# 05738. #Use a an Orbital buffer at the lowest speed and then gradually progress up as needed. #This must be done very carefully so that you don't burn through the film. #I usually hit the area a few times for about 15-30 seconds each time. #If this doesn't work the stain might have seeped through the pores under the top coat and could be perminent".

Bob

XPEL Tech
01-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Hi Guys,

There is still some confusion here, so I thought I would pop in and clear it up.

You can buff, polish and/or seal any of our films, including Ultimate (self-healing film). What you want to watch out for is sealants, waxes or polishes that contain a large amount of either naphtha or kerosene. These are common ingredients, which if high enough in concentration, can cause polyurethane (no matter what brand it is) to discolor over time. One irony in the paint protection film industry is that one of the most commonly prescribed products by unwitting installers to use on paint protection film is Plexus, which is 23% naphtha. We have conducted lab studies with this product and found that it does indeed cause paint protection film to yellow horrendously if used repeatedly over time. Most customers simply don't notice because their car is not white or silver, and they like that it makes the film feel slippery. If it feels slippery, it must be good, right? ;)

On the buffing/polishing aspect, what should have been conveyed by my staff is that polishing should not ever be necessary on our self-healing film, rather than it cannot be done at all. Since the film heals swirls and light scratches on its own, there should be no reason to buff.

On the Quartz sealant, I must admit I am not familiar with this product, so I can't give any truly definitive advice. The best thing to do would be to get an MSDS sheet on the product and check for the ingredients I mentioned above. Or, the truly simple thing to do (as someone else suggested) is to use our purpose made sealant.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Tim Hartt
Chief Operating Officer
XPEL Technologies Corp.

FUNX650
01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi Guys,

There is still some confusion here, so I thought I would pop in and clear it up.

You can buff, polish and/or seal any of our films, including Ultimate (self-healing film). What you want to watch out for is sealants, waxes or polishes that contain a large amount of either naphtha or kerosene. These are common ingredients, which if high enough in concentration, can cause polyurethane (no matter what brand it is) to discolor over time. One irony in the paint protection film industry is that one of the most commonly prescribed products by unwitting installers to use on paint protection film is Plexus, which is 23% naphtha. We have conducted lab studies with this product and found that it does indeed cause paint protection film to yellow horrendously if used repeatedly over time. Most customers simply don't notice because their car is not white or silver, and they like that it makes the film feel slippery. If it feels slippery, it must be good, right? ;)

On the buffing/polishing aspect, what should have been conveyed by my staff is that polishing should not ever be necessary on our self-healing film, rather than it cannot be done at all. Since the film heals swirls and light scratches on its own, there should be no reason to buff.

On the Quartz sealant, I must admit I am not familiar with this product, so I can't give any truly definitive advice. The best thing to do would be to get an MSDS sheet on the product and check for the ingredients I mentioned above. Or, the truly simple thing to do (as someone else suggested) is to use our purpose made sealant.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Tim Hartt
Chief Operating Officer
XPEL Technologies Corp.

First...let me say...:welcome:...to AGO!!

Secondly....Thank you for your reply!!! Very timely indeed.

You, and your staff, have always steered me in the right direction for installing and the subsequent maintenance of my XPel PPF.

Others may disagree, but I personally still find that any XPel PPF product is the best offered in the PPF market.

Gotta try your "self-healing" PPF next.

Bob

Twister
01-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for replying Tim. I'm a big fan of Xpel. I have it on almost all my family's cars except for 1 (3 out of 4 isn't bad) and one of our old cars had it as well.

What you posted is right in line with what I was told several months ago when I asked about polishing. Hope to see you post more when questions like this arise