PDA

View Full Version : ONR from a portable spray dispenser

Pages : [1] 2

mpm
01-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Gas prices are hurting my bottom line so I'm switching my mobile unit from my truck to a Dodge Magnum. I use ONR on 90% of the cars I do so massive quantites of water I do not need. I can do my usual 4 or 5 cars a day and keep my water usage under 10 gallons.

Having said the above, I have built my own version of a detailing caddy or Chemical Guys Ecosmart Waterless system. It sprays a good mist that I can use to pre-soak the car with. It also works good to rinse the tires and rims.

Now my question for the experienced ONR users is what would the suggested mix ratio be? Mind you I will be using a single bucket with a mixture of ONR for rinsing microfiber wash towels. Remember I will be using the spray dispenser I've made to rinse tire/rims also so a heavy mix of ONR is not what I'd like. It becomes an expensive rinse water when you Mix a 5 gallon jug as a quick detailer and then rinse something with it.

Thanks in advance

Setec Astronomy
01-15-2012, 09:59 PM
When I pre-rinse with waterless wash, I always use it at the standard dilution.

tw33k2514
01-15-2012, 10:10 PM
I pre soak with the ONR detail strength.

Niebelung
01-15-2012, 10:24 PM
If I need to, I pre-soak at the standard 1oz/2 gal dilution, but spray till dripping wet. Not sure if that saves me ONR in the long run, but it helps to remove the loose debris like small twigs/leaves that get embedded in the wash media.

weavers
01-15-2012, 10:40 PM
If I pre rinse I use 2tsb for 34 ouces, ie wash solution. I find that one car takes about 12-15oz to pre soak. I also use 1 bucket. but for especially dirty cars 2 bucket is really nice.

I use the little 34 oz pump sprayer. If I am going to do 4 cars then I will use a 2 gallon pumpsprayer

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/urDpmmAF5QGfmJGb45KNxJeL2Rt5gOC8ZOEn_ZGX94hJbIyn0x sgUHj2CGMyCoJOdESSmaiBbBJ2U689OGoiJ9FF5yZmUJXZA2nv ABFEBsbiMRYFF1lHDiTYjZP7jGs9aM-nJeiVlPF4GVgZZLk780Iru9wqZtkYhso4Xvd4dkzfOic-E98seuA

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/tDkbh93yA5DYnfXYgsyhC-NgyanIthTsmEPQdwS_VW_JHhFCJnYvX2sBUh4FVpsHmlz0wAeT rMwctdVVrR7yazFKLU0GAmWUIY9hFxM6AQrfmRDVkAj7DMfzU8 W598O1GqwGo2LpDcQVkvkWlCOuZx4WNnqYa9J5wqMTxl6hCdnT XIo

If a car is really dirty and I plan on waxing sometimes I will spray it down with APC 1:15, strips wax and makes washing a bit faster. Again a pump sprayer is a wonderful tool.

mpm
01-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks guys. Fast replies.

weavers - I use a small sparyer like that also. I just wanted something a little bigger with more capacity. The rinsing capability of the small sprayer is limited as it empties pretty fast.

conthedon
01-16-2012, 12:37 AM
I use 1.5 oz (I use tap water so .5 to battle minerals) in a 2 gallon bucket. I use a 2 bucket method, one with clean water, the other with ONR mixed solution. Any bird bomb area spray with stronger solution already mixed in a spray bottle (to loosen), then I pre-rinse the car with water using a portable hose. Take a ACE grout sponge and wipe the car down using the 2 gallon ONR bucket...if the car is extremely dirty I'd use clay lube dilution of ONR in a 1gall bug sprayer (2oz ONR mixed in 1 gallon water) as a pre soak, then wash car.

umi000
01-16-2012, 02:57 AM
I used to use a 1:32 dilution as a pre-soak for dirty panels - that pre-soak role has been taken over by Ultima Waterless Wash.

DavidJ021
01-16-2012, 03:06 AM
Gas prices are hurting my bottom line so I'm switching my mobile unit from my truck to a Dodge Magnum. I use ONR on 90% of the cars I do so massive quantites of water I do not need. I can do my usual 4 or 5 cars a day and keep my water usage under 10 gallons.

Having said the above, I have built my own version of a detailing caddy or Chemical Guys Ecosmart Waterless system. It sprays a good mist that I can use to pre-soak the car with. It also works good to rinse the tires and rims.

Now my question for the experienced ONR users is what would the suggested mix ratio be? Mind you I will be using a single bucket with a mixture of ONR for rinsing microfiber wash towels. Remember I will be using the spray dispenser I've made to rinse tire/rims also so a heavy mix of ONR is not what I'd like. It becomes an expensive rinse water when you Mix a 5 gallon jug as a quick detailer and then rinse something with it.

Thanks in advance

Anyone else think it's a waste of money?

I saw the video of the demo of it and was not satisfied. Looks like there's no pressure when dispensing the CG ECO Liquid? Might as well just save the money with a spray dispenser.

ShinyRex
01-16-2012, 04:30 AM

I saw the video of the demo of it and was not satisfied. Looks like there's no pressure when dispensing the CG ECO Liquid? Might as well just save the money with a spray dispenser.

I've seen it in person during a demo and it has decent and constant pressure. However it is designed to be low pressure and to me it didn't seem any more powerfull than a fully charged hand held pump sprayer. Since I am not a pro I have no clue how much time is spent pumping and refilling a sprayer but I am guessing most folks would rather spend their money on other products. Unless of course you are waterless washing a lot full of cars.

mpm
01-16-2012, 10:12 AM

I'll waste my money as I see fit. But, I haven't wasted any as far as I'm concerned. I had most of the need parts in my garage. My 12v pump puts out 60 psi and up to 3gpm. Thats as good as most spigots on a house. When you use a spray nozzle that will mist it works very good at misting. That is the desired results. Not pressure washing the dirt off the car. Watching a video and passing judgement on an item is like test driving a car on an XBox. Just not the same. My unit works very well(get your mind out of the gutter).

Thanks to everyone for their constructive input on the original question. Much appreciated.

weavers
01-16-2012, 01:26 PM

I find pre soaking makes a big difference when there is bird poop, tree sap, tar, ect. there was an autogeek post about birdbombs. spray with a QD, cover it with a towel sprayed wet with QD, and the birdpoop just lifts wipes off with no effort. if you don't presoak with ONR you will be wiping off birdpoop pretty hard and instilling scratches.

Chris Thomas
01-16-2012, 04:49 PM
I would use ONR in the sprayer at clay lube dilution (2oz per gallon). Apply this directly to the paint, but keep a gallon of water close to rinse your wash media into as needed.

If you want a true spray and wipe. Use Opti Clean instead at 2oz per quart in the sprayer and just switch to a new towel after each section.

mpm
01-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks Chris. Thats the ratio I was leaning toward. I haven't thought about using Opti-Clean. I will get some on my next order and try it. With my current repeat customers I could take care of everyone of them. Makes using the Dodge Magnum as my detailing vehicle that much easier.

Niebelung
01-17-2012, 08:25 AM
I would use ONR in the sprayer at clay lube dilution (2oz per gallon). Apply this directly to the paint, but keep a gallon of water close to rinse your wash media into as needed.

If you want a true spray and wipe. Use Opti Clean instead at 2oz per quart in the sprayer and just switch to a new towel after each section.

Hi Chris,

I haven't heard of the 2oz/qt dilution ratio for Opti-Clean (1:16) as a spray and wipe before. Could I ask if it's used in the same way as ONR at the QD ratio please?