PDA

View Full Version : Cquartz or WGDGPS

WRXINXS
01-15-2012, 06:38 PM
I am just looking for some opinions about which was I should go for protective coating on my car. I am new to polishing and will be polishing my black WRX for the first time in the next few weeks. I am having trouble deciding between the Cquartz or WGDGPS. I will be doing a one step with Menzerna Power Finish on orange hydrotech pads. I will wash, iron x, clay, polish and use griots pre wax cleanser. I'm just not sure which way I want to go afterwards. I already have the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant but would have to buy the Cquartz. I am tempted by the longevity and scratch resistance of the cquartz but am a little concerned about locking in a less than perfect finish because this will be my first full polish performed. What do you guys think?

Drew

Shawnw
01-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I say go with the Menzerna for now, and have fun with your car. Polish, buff, and wax to your hearts content and then when you're ready lock it in with some cquartz. What's the rush?

WRXINXS
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
I say go with the Menzerna for now, and have fun with your car. Polish, buff, and wax to your hearts content and then when you're ready lock it in with some cquartz. What's the rush?

True I guess there is no rush, i'll probably just go with the wolfgang after the polish for now maybe cquartz down the line.:buffing:

tw33k2514
01-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Cquartz is obviously better. But if you do not get the paint exactly how you want it then be prepared to live with it for awhile. Plus if you are going to apply Cquartz you are going to want to charge more for the extra work. So it would depend a lot on the clients budget.

WRXINXS
01-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Cquartz is obviously better. But if you do not get the paint exactly how you want it then be prepared to live with it for awhile. Plus if you are going to apply Cquartz you are going to want to charge more for the extra work. So it would depend a lot on the clients budget.

Its actually for my personal car. I'm just not sure I should use something so permanent after my first ever correction in case I don't get everything right my first time.

Drew

tw33k2514
01-15-2012, 09:27 PM
I'd just wait then. When you are satisfied with the finish slap some on. Better yet put on the OC2.0.

CEE DOG
01-15-2012, 09:32 PM
You already know what I think from our pms. Have fun with it either way! :buffing: Black paint, first buffing, don't have the CQ yet but do have WG... I say nail a test section and see how its going to go. Then order the CQ if you are happy with how its looking. Otherwise use the WG after you have it the way you want and if your satisfied go ahead and order the CQ soon after. When you feel like it you can finishing polish and strip wash and get to the CQ!

The CQ is definitely a more impressive lsp for many reasons but being your first time polishing maybe make sure you can do what you want before ordering it.

WRXINXS
01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
You already know what I think from our pms. Have fun with it either way! :buffing: Black paint, first buffing, don't have the CQ yet but do have WG... I say nail a test section and see how its going to go. Then order the CQ if you are happy with how its looking. Otherwise use the WG after you have it the way you want and if your satisfied go ahead and order the CQ soon after. When you feel like it you can finishing polish and strip wash and get to the CQ!

The CQ is definitely a more impressive lsp for many reasons but being your first time polishing maybe make sure you can do what you want before ordering it.

Thanks Corey!!

opie_7afe
01-15-2012, 11:57 PM
i would focus on learning how to polish to a flawless finish, menzerna stuff i have used works great so i would go with them, i would also add a final jeweling step to your polish using some po85rd and really turn the gloss up. continue using the WGDGPS if you like it. as mike phillips says "find what you like and use it often". if you want some extra pop after the WGDGPS cures for 12-24 hours add a nice coat of carnauba wax followed by a final wipe using some spray wax :) will really bring out a awesome gloss and slickness to your finish. then down the line you can get the cquartz or opti-coat.i would reccomend opticoat as they claim much longer durability vs cquartz and oc is easier to apply most say but remember with coatings you wont have the joy of waxing(if you like waxing) anymore as the coating just dont require it, can top it with something like reload and will bring alot of slickness. as i said focus on getting the paint looking awesome and see what you want to do, see if the constant care thing appeals or not to you as you have black paint. remember black is not just a color, its a career!

FUNX650
01-16-2012, 02:00 PM
I am just looking for some opinions about which was I should go for protective coating on my car........
I am having trouble deciding between the Cquartz or WGDGPS.

Hi Drew...

First I feel compelled to say:
Isn't AGO a wonderful Forum with Forum Members to match!!!
Everybody's input on your thread's inquiry is excellent advise to follow. No second guessing can be inferred.

Secondly:
When reading your initial post, I was torn between the "protective coating" terminology being applied to both CQuartz and WGDGPS.
Since my interpretation of LSP's may differ from yours somewhat, I must state that my idea of a "protective coating" (CQuartz) vs. a "protective sacrificial barrier" (WGDGPS) only varies in the time-frame one would be expected to re-new these particular LSP's.

With that out of the way...

To be in further agreement with some other postings to your thread:

Yes, it does take time, and practice, to gain experience in correction processes...To be a "Complete Detailer", in other words.
It doesn't happen overnight or by waving some magic wand, IMO.

Take me for example:
Many folks that have contact with me during my daily-walk-in-life, and to some extent, on the AGO Forum, consider me a "Complete A$$hole". Even if this would be true..I, for one, can attest that I would not be an "overnight sensation", and no magic-wands would harmed in the process.

Also...Keeping in mind how birthing Dr.s used to slap a new-born baby's butt as a "stamp of approval"...

In fact, I believe, I proved them all wrong! To think my birthing Dr.'s exclaimed "stamp of approval" was:
"He was born to Dance"...HA.

:)

Bob