PDA

View Full Version : Diamondite vs the AG Pro glass kit

tamvegas
02-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Hi All,
I got the AG pro glass kit two weeks ago and now I see everyone raving about the Diamondite systems. How is the Dimondite different from the Pro Glass kit? I used the Pro Kit on my windshield, which has a lot of little nicks from road gravel, sand, etc. I was dissappointed at first because it didn't fill or correct any of the pitting. Guess it isn't really meant for that. But, when I went to work that evening, I was blown away! The clarity of the glass, especially at night, was/is perfect. Literally a little better because 95% of all the glare from oncoming headlights is gone as well. It's like there's no windshield there at all (minus the wind, of course). However, I still have the pitting on the windshield, which is visible to me during daylight driving.

Does the Diamondite system do any filling of the pitting on a windshield in addition to polishing it? And if so, is the component for helping the pitting available separately? I have 80% of the Pro kit left, along with the pads and PC adapter plate and will not enjoy thinking of buying it as a waste :( because a far superior product was being released just two weeks later.

Thanks All, as Always,

Tam

ScottB
02-28-2007, 06:52 PM
none of these kits can truly fill or replace areas missing in the glass. You have to remember glass on cars (front) are laminated with a plastic type protective interlay. This is so it does not shatter in your face. With some good polishes you can reduce some of the markings from debris that has scared this glass on the outside and inside of the windshield.

tamvegas
02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi Killer,
Maybe I misunderstood what the product was capable of. It did clean and smooth the glass very well. I was hoping that it would also smooth the edges of the pitting so as to have them not show as much. Can the Diamondite kit do this? If not, then how is it different from the Pro Glass kit?
BTW, the protective laminate in auto windshields is within the layers of glass, thus a laminate glass. All of my pitting is very shallow. Anything deep enough to penetrate the plastic laminate would make the glass pretty unsafe as it could allow glass to weaken on the inside of the windshield.

ScottB
02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
To my knowledge nothing truly fills those pits and dings in the glass. A polish simply rounds off the edges making them less noticable in the light. (kinda like scratches in paint). Very minor scratches might be alleviated.

I do remember seeing a kit with an epoxy at JCWhitney a couple years back that could work, but believe it was only used for large cracks to fill them and help firm the structure. Have you noticed any difference after polishing and sealing the glass with a sealant specifically ??

tamvegas
02-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Have you noticed any difference after polishing and sealing the glass with a sealant specifically ??

Yes, definitely! Like I said, at night it is like the glass isn't there. Even headlight glare is almos nil. I even rolled down the drivers window and did A B comparisons while cruisin. The glas is truly as clear as not there. Even in daytime it's quite noticeable. Just the little pits that catch the light when driving into the sunlight.

I have heard of the epoxy and a literal re-glazing of the glass to fill all imperfections. But for the probable high price I would just get new glass.

Still would really like to hear from someone on the differences between the AG ProGlass and Diamondite. The Diamondite full kit (if I remember right) comes with an additional step of applying a "filler". Hmmmmmm. Wonder what this does???