PDA

View Full Version : Waxing in the sun

Pages : [1] 2

sshinn1
01-15-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm new to waxing/polishing etc., have always gone thru drive thru car washes but just got my dream truck and want to take better care of the exterior. Everything I've read emphasizes waxing in the garage or shade, but I have no way of getting my truck into my garage and don't have a shady spot to park it in. How crucial is this and can I effectively/safely wax in the sun? It's a new truck so the paint is new, I only plan to clay and wax art this point

BobbyG
01-15-2012, 02:02 PM
First, :welcome: To Autogeek Online and congratulations on the new truck...:props:
Applying products in the sun is generally not a good idea unless the surface temperature is only warm to the touch.

Some products state' "may be used in direct sun". Many products offered from Poorboy's World can be used in direct sun and work very well.

Everyone starts off as a beginner but with some reading, questions, and trial, error, and practice you'll be amazed how much you'll be able to do. After reading and understanding some of the basics, the more hands on your are the quicker you'll build your knowledge and gain experience.

This link contains articles written by Mike Phillips and has allot of great reading within.

Articles by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html)

Basic steps in order are:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correction & Polish
Seal
Wax

ArkayoDeetayo
01-15-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm new to waxing/polishing etc., have always gone thru drive thru car washes but just got my dream truck and want to take better care of the exterior. Everything I've read emphasizes waxing in the garage or shade, but I have no way of getting my truck into my garage and don't have a shady spot to park it in. How crucial is this and can I effectively/safely wax in the sun? It's a new truck so the paint is new, I only plan to clay and wax art this point

I believe people say to stay in shade so the wax does not streak...but if you must use it in the sun, go with Natty Blue's (from PoorBoy's in the drop tab if you are new). They have a paste and a liquid, your choice.

Flash Gordon
01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
I believe people say to stay in shade so the wax does not streak...but if you must use it in the sun, go with Natty Blue's (from PoorBoy's in the drop tab if you are new). They have a paste and a liquid, your choice.

:iagree: You can apply most all of Poorboys World products in direct sunlight

Welcome from Memphis

mwtaco
01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
i wish my problem were having too much sun...brrrrrr.

welcome.

Poorboy's products tout being workable in direct sunlight. Check em out.

pickles
01-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Meguiar's ultimate waxes are also sun-safe.

ProMoDe
01-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Xmt 360 works in sun too!

Flash Gordon
01-15-2012, 03:16 PM
You could also rotate the car. The Sun can only shine on one side at a time :)

hoyt66
01-15-2012, 03:34 PM
I know its frowned upon but..... When I lived in an apartment I used to get up really early

in the morning and wax my truck in the quarter car wash bay.

tw33k2514
01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
I know its frowned upon but..... When I lived in an apartment I used to get up really early

in the morning and wax my truck in the quarter car wash bay.
Hey man, if there is no line, and the attendant isnt on duty, or doesn't care then go for it.

bl3ujay07
01-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Hey man, if there is no line, and the attendant isnt on duty, or doesn't care then go for it.

+1. I called a local self wash car wash prior to showing up and the guy was kool with it. He said as long there is no line waiting outside. Im sure they would rather have someone use it (only if using it for a rinse), than to just leave it unoccupied. Better to make a very small amount of money than to lose money leaving it unoccupied.

RPPM
01-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Some of the Duragloss line is sun friendly.

glen e
01-15-2012, 05:46 PM
I have found that anything done before 10 am and after 2 -3 pm even in huge heat, comes out ok. It's the temp of the sheetmetal you are applying to that matters.....

sshinn1
01-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all the advice - sounds like it more a temperature thing than a sun thing, so I think I'll be OK if I just do it early - usually in the low 60's early right now. I'll just need to find another answer in the summer, in Phoenix it's over 100 in the shade all summer.

Thanks again!

opie_7afe
01-15-2012, 11:00 PM
why not purchase a 50-100$ eazy up canopy or buy a semi-permanent car port and use that to do all your detailing under. can find some nice ones for a good price if you do some searching around. good luck