PDA

View Full Version : swirl removers

Pages : [1] 2

KC_MPWR
05-08-2006, 06:34 PM
i recently detailed a car for a friend with TONS of swirl marks.(rough automatic car wash) i used poorboys 2.5(strongest stuff i have at the moment) and it worked good, got most of the swirls scratches out. but i was wondering if there was something a little stronger that i could use in these situations. maybe something stronger than 2.5 but not as strong as poorboys ssr3 or menzerna power gloss. i heard from someone else that menzerna IP was supposedly a bridge between 2.5 and the really aggressive stuff is this true?

carnut00
05-08-2006, 06:50 PM
DP Super Swirl Remover might just be the ticket

ScottB
05-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Optimum Hyper Polish, Poorboys SSR 3, XMT 3, and Menzerna IP are all nice choices. You are basically moving into compound territory if you need to move up from 2.5 SSR. Did you try a cutting pad on PC ?? Then j ewel the surface with white pad and then finishing pad with lower abrasive polish like 1.0 SSR ??

BlackCoupe
05-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Optimum Hyper Polish, Poorboys SSR 3, XMT 3, and Menzerna IP are all nice choices. You are basically moving into compound territory if you need to move up from 2.5 SSR. Did you try a cutting pad on PC ?? Then j ewel the surface with white pad and then finishing pad with lower abrasive polish like 1.0 SSR ??

Tell me about "###eling the surface". I have heard you mention this before. I seem to have a slight marring after Meguiars 80 followed by Meguiars #9 (2.0 Swirl Remover) both on their finishing pad. Finish is factory fresh, but just seems ever so slightly marred next to a pristine area that I deliberately left untouched. It looks incredible, but my eye sees the difference.

When I bought the PC Kit it had three Wolfgang pads--orange, blue and white, but did not have the black pad someone mentioned, and which I see on the website. So what is this "###eling", and what product/pad combo do I use now to j ewel off the slight marring.

KC_MPWR
05-08-2006, 07:46 PM
i do not know what j ewling is either.:confused: i was actually using the pads that sonus makes. their compounding pad was orange.

BritOn2wheels
05-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Ditto the above. :confused:

Excessive Detail
05-08-2006, 08:12 PM
From what I have learned ###eling is the process of refining the paint were you use an abrasive combo then step down to a lesser combo, and continue stepping down until the paint is perfected.
EX: xmt3/cutting pad or light cutting pad to xmt1/polishing pad to xmt finishing glaze/finnishing pad.
ssr 2.5/cutting pad or light cutting pad to ssr1 with a polishing pad
I've used these two combinations and they seem to work very well.
I may be wrong, but this is what I think ###eling is, will let the experts be the judge.

joe.p
05-08-2006, 09:07 PM
From what I have learned ###eling is the process of refining the paint were you use an abrasive combo then step down to a lesser combo, and continue stepping down until the paint is perfected.
EX: xmt3/cutting pad or light cutting pad to xmt1/polishing pad to xmt finishing glaze/finnishing pad.
I may be wrong, but this is what I think ###eling is, will let the experts be the judge.
Ditto :applause: . I gonna have to try out the pinnacle glaze sometime. I really like the look of a glaze under a carnauba..

KC_MPWR
05-08-2006, 09:12 PM
ohh i see, i actually knew what it was...just wasnt familiar with the term. yeah i'll have to buy a cutting pad and give that a go. thanks for the help!

ScottB
05-09-2006, 06:24 AM

very nice explanation. J eweling is the process where you repolish an area that is perfect or almost perfect with a lighter finishing polish. For ex. With the Menzerna line of polishes (IP, 085, 066) you can get away with just the polish alone on most cars. But taking the time to still repolish with FP or Poorboys 1.0 SSR with a finishing pad (blue or grey) is kinda like j eweling a diamond.

I came up with the phrase after getting married and watching a j eweler professionally polish my wifes diamond. They use a rouge and polish up the top and try to lessen the scratches. (better diamonds should actually be clear/transparent, those rainbow spectrum of lights is actually small imperfections bouncing light off of them) They then use a final polish that AMPS up the surface to 10X the looks originally. Thus when using J eweling I am discussing the process of moving down to lower polishes/pads while amping the surface . Hope that kinda helps :p

BlackCoupe
05-09-2006, 06:34 AM
very nice explanation. J eweling is the process where you repolish an area that is perfect or almost perfect with a lighter finishing polish. For ex. With the Menzerna line of polishes (IP, 085, 066) you can get away with just the polish alone on most cars. But taking the time to still repolish with FP or Poorboys 1.0 SSR with a finishing pad (blue or grey) is kinda like j eweling a diamond.

I came up with the phrase after getting married and watching a j eweler professionally polish my wifes diamond. They use a rouge and polish up the top and try to lessen the scratches. (better diamonds should actually be clear/transparent, those rainbow spectrum of lights is actually small imperfections bouncing light off of them) They then use a final polish that AMPS up the surface to 10X the looks originally. Thus when using J eweling I am discussing the process of moving down to lower polishes/pads while amping the surface . Hope that kinda helps :p

Are you referring to a pure polish like Meguiars #81?

NissanOwner
05-09-2006, 06:44 AM
Is it better to stay within the same product line when removing swirls? For ex: PB 2.5 then 1.0 or XMT #2 then #1, or is there a good mix of products that would be better?

Mike T
05-09-2006, 09:00 AM
You can mix and find the combo that works right for you.

NissanOwner
05-09-2006, 11:41 AM
You can mix and find the combo that works right for you.

What combo would you recommend?

Mike T
05-09-2006, 12:20 PM
My current polishes are SSR2.5, SSR1, and PwC . Its good to try different products. Not everyone gets the same results. I like SSR2.5, but I'm not a big fan of SSR1. PwC is great stuff as well.