PDA

View Full Version : polymer sealants.

sanman
02-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Are sealants a polish or wax? Would I use a polish first then put a coat sealant on? Or are they kind of a one-step product?

Kelso
02-28-2007, 03:52 PM
sealants are neither wax nor polish. they are similar to a wax but they are sythetically created where wax is found naturally, usually carnauba based. yes you would need to polish first and then apply the sealant.

bambo2888
02-28-2007, 04:04 PM
:iagree:, some argue and its kinda been proven, that Sealants offer much longer protection than waxes. i, however, top my sealant with a pure carnauba wax, it adds that little extra protection and awesome shine.

Al-53
02-28-2007, 05:05 PM
To help matters more...some sealants are called polishes..like the ones listed below

Zaino Show Car Polish

DuraGloss Clear Coat Polish

Duragloss Total Performance Polish

AstroSheild Polish

these products are actually called polishes but in reality are a true sealant...

A true polish is used after any defect removal to remove any micro maring and to smooth paint and glossing paint to its full potential...

Now to throw into the mix...some polishes have a combo of a polish/sealant to do minor correction..but also contain a sealant..

PoorBoys Polish with Sealant

optimum Poli-Seal

Klasse All In One

Sealants are a synthetic mixture of either a Silicone Polymer or a Acrylic polymer...

Wax..(carnauba)..is plant derived coming from a type of palm tree..its a natural product refined into different grades and quality of wax...

So the process would be

paint correction

Polish (if needed) to remove micro marring and gloss paint

Wax or sealant and then relax

Al

ScottB
02-28-2007, 05:19 PM
looks like this one has pretty much been answered ...

sealants -- synthetic paint protection

Bobjones
02-28-2007, 10:27 PM
I was of the thought that Klasse All in One was not a selanat and should be followed with the Klasse Sealant....

FloridaNative
02-28-2007, 10:31 PM
I was of the thought that Klasse All in One was not a selanat and should be followed with the Klasse Sealant....

AIO is primarily a paint cleaner, but it does leave some protection behind, but not as much as SG of course.

supercharged
03-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Are sealants a polish or wax? Would I use a polish first then put a coat sealant on? Or are they kind of a one-step product?
If you are using a polish - be sure to wash vehicle or wipe it down with 50/50 alcohol/water solution, otherwise sealant won't bond to the paint.

justin_murphy
03-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Sealants are great for a base. Then again, some look good all by themselves. If you all seen my truck this weekend, it only had DP's Spray Surface Shield Sealant. Yep a spray sealant. It can be used as a QD so a layer goes on every few days after a wash.

Waxes, well to me, are the best of both worlds. Most of us really don't care about durability since we take this as a hobby. We are going to reapply a wax every 3-4 weeks any ways! Most carnaubas now are infused with polymers that enhance it longevity. Max Wax will easily go 2 months and now Souveran Spay Wax......I've already witnessed 4 weeks with it!

It all comes down to what YOU want YOUR vehicle to look like.
EXPERIMENT!

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-23-2007, 11:53 PM
If you are using a polish - be sure to wash vehicle or wipe it down with 50/50 alcohol/water solution, otherwise sealant won't bond to the paint.

So if I'm understanding this statement you're saying to wipe down the vehicle with 50/50 alch/h20 after it's polished.

Anyone else doing this?

I've been using DG#101 and from there go straight to my sealant.