PDA

View Full Version : How to keep pad spinning on angled surfaces?

Pages : [1] 2

WRXINXS
01-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Hello,

I have a PC7424XP and I was polishing a test spot on my hood today. It was on a spot that had a car body line crease in it and the pad stopped spinning but I was not pressing very hard. I think it was because I had come to like a "valley" and the pad was not on level surface. How do you guys deal with this? Do I just adjust my pressure and pad position until it is level?

Thanks,
Drew

mjlinane
01-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Smaller pad and lighter pressure. Try to keep the PC as flat as possible on the surface you are trying to polish.

Doesn't always work.

BobbyG
01-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi Drew,

What size pads are you using?

Porter Cable style machines perform better when armed with the 5 1/2" pads.

Also, too light pressure can cause a pad to stop spinning...

WRXINXS
01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Hi Drew,

What size pads are you using?

Porter Cable style machines perform better when armed with the 5 1/2" pads.

I was using 5.5" LC CCS foam pads I think maybe I was actually not using enough pressure and that I was not on there flat. This was my first time polishing anything lol.

Drew

Flash Gordon
01-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Use the edge of the pad. Keep it flat

Rsurfer
01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
:confused:

silverfox
01-13-2012, 08:50 PM
I know that many will disagree but correction can be achieved by a DA polisher without spinning the pad. It's not as easy or as fast but trust me the pad doesn't have to spin to achieve some level of decent results. That's another myth of the DA polisher and the beauty of it because what causes correction is friction... That's all and friction is definately what the DA polisher produces even without rotating the pad. The elliptical movement alone can produce enough friction to produce results in most cases.

ss 07C70
01-13-2012, 08:53 PM
You could ditch the DA & get a FLEX, they ALWAYS rotate.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-13-2012, 09:11 PM
This is EXACTLY why I gravitated back to the Flex 3401, the pad never stops spinning.

WRXINXS
01-13-2012, 11:28 PM
:confused:

If you don't have enough pressure on the PC XP it will not spin the same as if you had too much pressure.

Drew

ProMoDe
01-13-2012, 11:31 PM

This is EXACTLY why I gravitated back to the Flex 3401, the pad never stops spinning.

:iagree:

Kristopher1129
01-13-2012, 11:53 PM
I recently got the GG6 because of the PC always stopping. I find it difficult to do certain things with it...especially compound.

To keep it spinning I would usually either turn the speed up, or either press, or depress pressure. Depends on the situation. It's a funky machine...doesn't like to cooperate IMO.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-14-2012, 06:07 AM
To keep it spinning I would usually either turn the speed up, or either press, or depress pressure. Depends on the situation. It's a funky machine...doesn't like to cooperate IMO.
Are you talking about the GG6 or PCXP?

tuscarora dave
01-14-2012, 06:46 AM

I thought this as soon as I read the title of the thread but I wasn't going to say it because it doesn't help you in your immediate situation.

If I were forced to use just a traditional style DA such as the PCXP I would suit the machine up with 4 inch pads (of course with the correct backing plate) and tackle all the corners, edges and tight areas first with the 4 inch pads before replacing with the 5.5 inch pads to go back and correct the larger flatter areas where pad rotation is made simple. I recommend the Cyclo 4 inch foam (and wool pads if needed) as they outlast anything on the market in a 4 inch pad due to the way the velcro is double bonded on them. IMO there's nothing worse than spending good money on flat 4 inch pads to have them delaminate before finishing the first job you use them on.

Seriously though, if you intend on polishing up more than just one car you may want to look into the Flex 3401 and save the PCXP for spreading wax with. The PCXP can and will do correction work with good technique but if you intend on doing any volume of work the 3401 will cut out the need for a lot of the learned technique and save a lot of frustration and time and that to me is worth more than the cost of the 3401 IMO.

Mike Phillips
01-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Seriously though, if you intend on polishing up more than just one car you may want to look into the Flex 3401 and save the PCXP for spreading wax with. The PCXP can and will do correction work with good technique but if you intend on doing any volume of work the 3401 will cut out the need for a lot of the learned technique and save a lot of frustration and time and that to me is worth more than the cost of the 3401 IMO.

Really good advice Dave... plus with the Flex 3401 you don't have to worry about leaving behind holograms. With the new adapter to enable a person to use 4" pads it's a powerful and versatile tool.

:xyxthumbs: