PDA

View Full Version : OptiCoat2.0 vs CQuartz on White

JCAT
01-13-2012, 01:41 PM
New white Land Rover

I am trying to determine which would be best for looks and durability. I have been trying to research and think OC would be best for longevity and am a little nervous about the application but not afraid to use it.
Somewhere I heard that CQ may have a slight darkening effect? True or myth?
Does one give a better appearance / gloss over the other? If CQ is better then applying every 2 yrs or so may be worth the additional effort.
Happy to do all the prep and work to apply either but want to use what will give the best overall results.
Thanks, John

Bobby B.
01-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Both the OptiCoat and the CQuartz look awesome on White vehicles. You really can't go wrong either way as long as you prep the paint surface the proper way. I find the CQuartz does add a very slight darkening effect to the paint surface.

Here are two links to the forum. One is a White Toyota with CQuartz and the other on is a White Mercedes Benz with OptiCoat

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/34597-new-car-cquartz-detail-2011-tacoma-trd-sport.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/39310-optimum-opti-coat-mercedes-benz-amg-e-class.html

SeaJay's
01-13-2012, 03:17 PM
I have both on my silver HHR SS and I can't tell the difference between the two. I have the CQuartz on my hood and the rest of the car is done with OC 2.0.

You can't go wrong with either. The longevity of the OC 2.0 is much better than the CQuartz, but even with the CQuartz you get around 2 years.

JCAT
01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the information and links to the other threads. Both vehicles looked great and the information invaluable. For me because of longevity and maybe a slight darkening effect with CQuartz, I plan to use Opti-Coat.
Thanks, John

CEE DOG
01-16-2012, 01:34 PM
I tested both and even did a side by side on a test panel. OC darkened the paint more than CQ. Side by side it was clearly visible. That was on a black panel.

Both are great products. Is this your daily driver, garage queen, or both?

JCAT
01-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Its both which is one reason I am looking for protection and longevity.
I wonder if OC darkened more becuase it was on a black panel. Besides in the thread above, I did hear that CQ had a very slight darkening affect on white. The LR4 is a bright white.

bmwgeek
01-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Glaze and waxes darkens the paint too. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

CEE DOG
01-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Glaze and waxes darkens the paint too. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

:iagree: