PDA

View Full Version : Car Dusters

Excessive Detail
02-28-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm thinking of getting a car duster, should I, are they safe, and if so which brand should I go with, Californa or OXO? Thanks.

Whitethunder46
02-28-2007, 11:15 AM
There was a good thead on here about them a few weeks ago, I couldn't find it.

I think the OXO has a slightly longer handle, with that said, either should be fine. I have the california myself. They work well for very light dust, but that's about it. I still prefer a simple waterless wipe myself.

The one thing that I LOVE my california for is to wipe off any polishing/compound dust that may be there after working with the PC. It works great for that.

Jimmie
02-28-2007, 11:24 AM
After years of using one it's still worrisome. Not sure that I would buy one again. That being said I still use it for very, very light dust prior to a QD'er. Feel slightly better about it since I read on the Forum to use with no downward pressure, not even the weight if the duster.

Mike T
02-28-2007, 11:27 AM
I haven't used mine in awhile. I guess I really couldn't complain about it. As long as you glide across the surface, you should be fine. I found light scratches from time to time, but I still find them and i'm haven't been using the duster.

bambo2888
02-28-2007, 11:38 AM
it sounds like its a good ploy behind them, but i would still be apprehensive about it scraping the larger dust particles through the clearcoat

Sergie
02-28-2007, 12:57 PM
But what is the alternative method to getting rid of dust in between washes?

I have been using dusters as well. You have to remember they are strictly to remove dust - nothing above and beyond that. I am careful on dusting paint where brake dust, road grime congregate - behind the wheels, splash guard area, bumpers.

My routine is the following in between washes:
- prior to dusting, I use underbody MF's and prime it with diluted SG (1:30) and go over the wheels first.
- after wheels are done - I then use another underbody MF's and prime it again with SG and go over the splash guards and behind the splash guard areas, lower bumpers, lower undercarriage and wipe it down.
- after inspecting for any dirt on paint, I then lightly dust each panel with a CA Duster and shaking it after each panel.
- and then I QD using MF's strictly dedicated to upper body paint panels (I separately store paint and underbody mf's and wash them separately. I even put the soiled MF's in separate bins, to avoid contamination prior to wash).

My daily routine as outlined above takes no more than 20 minutes. On a good day, 15 minutes.

I just spent a whole day de-swirling my car with a PC. So I will monitor the swirls after a wash, dry and dusting. Hopefully I will know where the swirls are coming from. It's all in the technique. Some swirls are just inevitable...

bambo2888
02-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Hopefully I will know where the swirls are coming from. It's all in the technique. Some swirls are just inevitable...

Unfortunately, this is the truth. Its so hard to think that the smallest dust particle trapped in a MF can cause those swirls, but no matter what you do, they are going to be there. I have just learned to accept it and plan for a polishing 2 times a year, or so. I had to come to terms with it...:(

ScottB
02-28-2007, 01:09 PM
I have the Oxo and use it occasionally. The strands will pull dirt/dust up and away from paint and contain alot of paraffin wax. No matter which you get, let it sit on newspaper for several days. Otherwise you will get some streaking.

Surfer
02-28-2007, 01:19 PM
I have the Oxo and use it occasionally. The strands will pull dirt/dust up and away from paint and contain alot of paraffin wax. No matter which you get, let it sit on newspaper for several days. Otherwise you will get some streaking.Back when I got my Cali duster, damn, let it sit for about a 5 days and the thick papers I had it on were soaked with paraffin wax, even right through multiple pages. Crazy.

I use it occasionally, never noticed any marring from it.