PDA

View Full Version : Radio Button Repair

Gus_Mahn
01-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know where to buy kits to repair the appearance of radio buttons (mostly GM). The buttons on my '05 CTS-V look like crap. The black laminate is peeling revealing the white plastic underneath. I know there are laminate kits to repair this, but I can't find them online anymore. Any help is appreciated! I'm losing my mind trying to find this company again. There were youtube videos and a website. Now I find nothing.

Porsche Pilot
01-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Do the knobs come off? It's a common problem in Porsche's and Becker will just sell the knobs. I wonder if AC Delco would just have the knobs for sale.

Setec Astronomy
01-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I wonder if AC Delco would just have the knobs for sale.

LOL keep dreaming...do GM cars still have Delco radios in them? Did Delco ever come out of bankruptcy? We're lucky today they let you buy a replacement radio without having to buy the car also...although the replacement radio for my Honda product was about 5% of what the car cost...and no, that was just the base radio.

Gus_Mahn
01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes they are replaceable. There are 13 buttons that cost about $8/ea. It's just such a crappy material, I was hoping to make them more durable. I was hoping to just re-laminate them.

It's kinda shocking to me that this is an issue with Porsche also. I also just think of it as typical GM "quality". Don't get me wrong I love my car, but no way that the radio should be falling apart in a car with a $50,000 sticker price.

Porsche Pilot
01-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Ours get all gummy when they fail. At least my engine is a little better quality...I hope! 13 buttons is a lot of damn buttons. I have 2. AC Delco is no longer? I guess that proves my wife's theory that I only know about euro trash and nothing else.

gatoman39
01-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Newer cars don't replace buttons, they replace the whole head unit. It's great if it's under warranty but if it's out of warranty this becomes problematic.

Setec Astronomy
01-12-2012, 10:02 PM
AC Delco is no longer?

I dunno...GM spun them off into a separate company, Delphi Automotive, but then they went bankrupt in 2005. GM apparently bought back certain parts, but Delphi still exists as a discrete company, although GM still holds the rights to the AC-Delco brand, but I don't think they make any of it anymore (which is why Delco batteries stink now).

Gus_Mahn
01-13-2012, 12:08 PM
I found the company IW Graphics, but they seem to be out of business. In any case
here is a video I did send a message on youtube. We'll see if I get a reply.

FUNX650
01-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know where to buy kits to repair the appearance of radio buttons (mostly GM). The buttons on my '05 CTS-V look like crap. The black laminate is peeling revealing the white plastic underneath. I know there are laminate kits to repair this, but I can't find them online anymore. Any help is appreciated! I'm losing my mind trying to find this company again. There were youtube videos and a website. Now I find nothing.

We used to use these guys for radio knob replacements in CTS-Vees and Corvettes...

eLindsay.com | Lindsay Lexus, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ford, Volkswagen, smart, Isuzu Trucks, Fleet Vehicles, Commercial Trucks, Cadillac Professional Vehicles, Used Car Sales and Vehicle Service, Certified PreOwned Inventory, Free Carfax Vehicle History (http://www.elindsay.com/index.htm?bhcp=1)

jpollack@lindsaycadillac.com
(703) 647-8628

I know they used to carry special items that weren't available other places! Maybe they still do?
You shouldn't need to change-out the whole radio, or re-laminate your current radio buttons, for your model year...That is..If they still have the buttons available.

:)

Bob

Gus_Mahn
01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
We used to use these guys for radio knob replacements in CTS-Vees and Corvettes...

eLindsay.com | Lindsay Lexus, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ford, Volkswagen, smart, Isuzu Trucks, Fleet Vehicles, Commercial Trucks, Cadillac Professional Vehicles, Used Car Sales and Vehicle Service, Certified PreOwned Inventory, Free Carfax Vehicle History (http://www.elindsay.com/index.htm?bhcp=1)

jpollack@lindsaycadillac.com
(703) 647-8628

I know they used to carry special items that weren't available other places! Maybe they still do?
You shouldn't need to change-out the whole radio, or re-laminate your current radio buttons, for your model year...That is..If they still have the buttons available.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Luke from Lindsay is actually active on Cadillacforums.com, so I have heard about them. The buttons were available, and I ordered them this morning along with 3 spares for the high wear buttons.

Do you know of any way to make these buttons last longer. I'm already careful not to hit them with my fingernails, my hands are always clean when I touch them. Mine lasted longer than most, but even with care they all seemed destine to fail. It really seems stupid that GM uses such low end materials on tactile interfaces on their highest end cars.

FUNX650
01-13-2012, 02:08 PM
The buttons were available, and I ordered them this morning along with 3 spares for the high wear buttons.

Do you know of any way to make these buttons last longer.

Never, ever touch them!!! LOL!!

I'm glad you found some replacement buttons, though!! (Re-lamination is a bear sometimes for me.)

Protection from "wearing-out":
What I've done, even though I know it won't protect the buttons from ever wearing-out....

After removing all the dust I can by using an air supply or very-soft-bristled brush, I'll spray some Plexus-type product on a cotton swap and daintily (<don't laugh) apply it to the buttons, allowing the product to thoroughly dry before touching them.
Repeat as deemed necessary.

Meg's also has an excellent plastic polish that may also be used....As gently as you possibly can, with this or any plastics-car-care-product on buttons, I may add.

Have fun with your replacement process!

Bob

BillyJack
01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
AC Delco is no longer?

AC Delco is still very much alive. Delphi was spun off as a separate company supposedly with the intent of doing business with non-GM manufacturers and has floundered ever since.

Bill