PDA

View Full Version : FIXING a Clear Coat Failure - need some advice!

GalKonz
01-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Hello guys! I gotta say first that i'm very thankful with all the information posted on this community. There's nothing more valuable, than knowledge, and this forums are full of it. I gotta say too, that when you live in a country like Mexico (my case), knowledge is pretty different from other countries, especially USA, and there are many limitations. Even getting a product that is normal on USA, it gets harder here, and specially in detailing products. Somehow i discovered this community while i was investigating how to restore headlights the correct way, and i was pretty succesful doing it that i even posted some pics on the Spar Urethane thread, and i started having too much curiosity in all the Detailing World.

Once again.. Thanks for all the AWESOMENESS on Autogeekonline.net! :props:

Well, now the thing is that i have a Chevy Malibu '97. This car was bought by my uncle since new, and after 4 - 5 years he replaced it, and this car was used by her daughter, his wife, a worker... etc. It was a little abused, but in the last 2 years they started to forget about it... Then i appear on the game! I bought it from my uncle 1 year ago for less than what would be about 1100 us dollars, spend about 200 repairing some minor things, and in all this year... My MALIBU 97 has never ever given up himself. I even trust him MORE than the other cars we have. It's totally mine, and i just LOVE IT too much. I even talk about HIM like if HE were alive :P BTW i am 18 years old.

Ok, so, when i bought it, it had some problems like all used cars. I repaired almost EVERYTHING in this year, but one thing i haven't done is the Clear Coat Failure it has on almost all the horizontal panels.

Roof, roof laterals, and trunk are the things most damaged. Hood is still holding up. Here are the pics:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6563/p1050574copiar.jpg

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6969/p1050557copiar.jpg

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8079/p1050559copiar.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8638/p1050560copiar.jpg

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5373/p1050562copiar.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/6294/p1050563copiar.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1928/p1050566copiar.jpg

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/1737/p1050569copiar.jpg

So, after looking at this thread --> http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/41057-updated-11-21-11-clear-coat-failure-repair-all-pics.html, i said to myself.. "Let's just give it a try. If i achieve a good work, then i saved on a repaint. If i mess up... it already looked horrible before"
As you can see, the rear bumper is pretty damaged too. But this one really looks like it needs a good repaint work.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

The things i have on mind to attempt the repair:
-- Duplicolor Perfect Match Protective Clear Coat (2 cans)
-- 3M Painter's Tape
-- Safety glasses, and painting mask from Home Depot.
-- Old clothes obviously.
-- Newspaper and plastic
-- Gloves nitrile
-- Water, Soap, Elbow Grease, and Sandpaper (from grit 200 to 2500)
-- IPA or Wax & Grease Remover (Don't know wich one to choose)

Before continuing, i gotta add i had never painted a car before, and i got almost minimum practical experience on detailing. I've only read, lots of reading and investigating, obtaining knowledge. So that's why i made this thread, to make people give their opinion about anything that may be related to this WORK. No matter what results i get, i will attempt this; but i'll do my best to make it an awesome repair.

My plan/process is:
1) Chip all chip-able clear coat :P
2) Wash throughly all the car specially damaged parts.
3) Wet-Sand remaining clear coat with 1000 grit (light to med pressure). Make gloss dissapear.
4) Wet-sand remaining base colour paint with 1500 grit (light pressure). This is for new clear coat to bond correctly, and to make the base color look uniform before spraying.
5) Wipe down with IPA or Wax and Grease remover to make sure the clear coat gonna be sprayed bonds correctly to the base color and remaining clear (don't know wich one is better for base color cleaning, IPA or Remover).
6) Let dry.
7) Mask EVERYTHING in sight that can be sprayed accidentally, using newspaper/plastic, and 3m painter's tape blue. All done correctly obviously.

-/Trunk and roof\-
8) After prepairing surface, letting dry, and masking up everything. The clear coat will be srayed using Duplicolor Cans over the entire panel (New clear coat will be sprayed over remaining clear, and base color, BUT they were sanded and prepped correctly). Using 4 to 5 LIGHT COATS.
9) Let dry clear coat for about 2 - 3 days.
10) Wet- sand new clear coat again, with 1500 grit sandpaper.
11) Spray again 2 or 3 light coats.
12) Let dry 2 to 3 days again.

13)NOW depending on results, the next step would be to wet-sand with 2000 grit with very light pressure and buffing/polishing surface to achieve a perfect finish.

-/Roof laterals\-
It would be ALMOST the same as roof and trunk, but with the difference that the new clear coat spray job will be feathered in the old and still looking good clear coat.

OK, so this is what i think woulkd be the best to attempt for this horrible clear coat failure. As i said, no matter what results i get, i will do this. I got nothing to lose.

SOME THINGS more i gotta add too:
-Feathering, preparing, and specially CAN SPRAYING, etc. will be done with the most perfect and correct processes to achieve a GOOD RESULT. I've been investigating and reading about everything that involves this WORK. And I hope to say "Hey, i repaired it! and only spend about $50", but if results are not good, i will only say "I LOVE how i spend $50 on pure knowledge and experience!"

-Right now i don't have any experience on buffing and polishing by an specific machine (only with drill on headlights), and i don't own any rotary, or a DA. I hope to soon by one, more sooner than later. IF AFTER all the work i do on my Malibu for the CC repair, i need to buff/polish, then i had wait until i have the correct equipment to do it. I plan on buying a Porter Cables DA on February, or March, 2012.

OH yes! And for the BUMPER:
I think on doing a full paint work. I already have:
--Duplicolor's Perfect Match Dark Toreador Red for General Motors (2 cans)
--Duplicolors filler primer (2 cans)
--Duplis self etching primer
--Duplis clear coat (the same 2 cans from above)

I painted (etchign primed and filler primed, base color, and clear) a piece of flat metal, and the final result after 5 days of drying looks ALMOST as the original my malibu has. I'd say it's 95% equal.

The process would be totally different because it will be done, starting from bare plastic, BUT FIRST, i'll attempt the CLEAR COAT FIX on trunk, roof, and laterals. Bumper will be repainted later.

Any info you can give me, any tips, any advice, or anything else you want to discuss here will be greatly appreciated. Or just wish me luck :P.

armorrig
01-12-2012, 09:27 PM
you can practice on a panel and see if the results are worth the effort to do the entire car. Otherwise, the best thing to do is do the respray prep work yourself to save for the cost of the respray, which I'm sure would save you quite a bit of money.

Bates Detailing
01-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Ive always looked at damaged clears like that and said, "Nope, sorry - must repaint" Kind of like how I look at a hot stove and say, "Nope, won't be touching that!"

Meticulous-Detail
01-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Take it to Maaco.

SkateForGirl
01-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Good luck with everything. Post pics after, I hope this comes out really good.

BobbyG
01-13-2012, 02:34 PM
This is a big job but with some time and effort you can get it done!

The only way to fix that much clear coat failure is to sand and repaint. It's "nearly" impossible to sand that much clear without hitting some of the color.

Now, what is your true goal or expectation when the job is complete?

Is your goal to improve the situation or a real nice job?

If it were me I'd grab my DA sander and some 220 peal and stick sand disks and start sanding. If you don't have a sander then roll up your sleeves and be prepared to work.

OH, Before tearing into it spend some time really scrubbing all the trim. It's looks pretty gross and you don't want to be doing this after it's painted. Once cleaned tape it up to protect it during the sanding process is important.

Also, if you haven't thought of it pick up 1 quart of Klean Strip Prep-All in order to thoroughly clean each panel prior to painting...

Just take your time.
Tape everything that you don't want to paint.
Try to feather the clear as far back as you can to create a smooth surface to paint
When spraying paint ensure that it goes on wet and not dry. You want to coat the area and not dust it. Dusting happens when you hold the can too far away and or moving your arm too quick.

FUNX650
01-13-2012, 06:40 PM
BTW i am 18 years old.

Sounds like you have a plan.
Hope you have a garage.....It'll be tough doing all of this outside....Especially when it comes "painting-time"!

What will your neighbors think, or do?
Different countries...different laws no doubt.
I know I couldn't even begin to attempt a project of this nature in my driveway without some lawman sticking his nose into it.

Good luck on your project...Though it seems that this posting of yours was hard enough on you already, age-wise, that is.
I'd hate to see the final toll that this project may inflict on you, chronologically speaking.

Mini Statistics
Total Posts

:confused:

Bob