PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a CR Spotless?

Garry Dean
01-12-2012, 08:23 PM
I am really looking for someone in FL that has a system.

I am thinking about buying the 300 gallon unut, but we have crazy hard water here in FL. It may not be worth having because of the cost.

Anyone have an idea how many actual gallons I can run through the filters the unit comes with until I need to pay another $135 for a re up?

WRAPT C5Z06
01-12-2012, 09:09 PM
From the amount of detailing you do, it's probably not worth it. I, however, love my CR Spotless. You DO NOT have to worry about water spots while washing in 110 degree weather! How cool is that?!?! I use it for the everything except filling up the bucket for soap.

Setec Astronomy
01-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Garry, are you going to use it for mobile or fixed? As I suggested in another thread, you might want to talk to Culligan or other water treatment providers in your area about leasing DI tanks that they would regenerate...I think it will be more cost effective in the long run if you are going to use it a lot.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-12-2012, 09:52 PM
I think the whole point of having a DI system would be to have it when your mobile. You're a lot less likely to have shade, as opposed to your own shop where you could quickly move the car into the garage. Not to say a DI system isn't beneficial at a shop. You know what I mean. :p

Garry Dean
01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
I was mainly thinking about it for use at my shop, but if I could take it with me that would be cool. I just think a portable unit will cost a ton more in the long run.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-12-2012, 10:04 PM
I was mainly thinking about it for use at my shop
Call your local water supply.

Setec Astronomy
01-12-2012, 10:05 PM
It's just a tank (the "real" ones), as long as you can hoist it up into your vehicle and keep it from rolling out the back, it's "portable". Honestly, you just need a bracket with a nylon strap...or if you normally travel with your own water, you just fill the tank in your truck from the DI at your shop.

Garry Dean
01-12-2012, 10:11 PM
So the culligan man should be able to hook me up with a tank for my shop?

Setec Astronomy
01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
So the culligan man should be able to hook me up with a tank for my shop?

Absolutely. They will give you a water quality light and when it turns you need to call them up and they will exchange the tank and give you a fresh one. Or you may work it out that they leave you two so you always have a fresh one ready. You will pay some sort of lease or contract amount and then a recharge fee, so you may want to shop around a little. If you are considered to be a "commercial" account Culligan may not be able to help you because in some (or maybe all) parts of the country Culligan sold their commercial business to US Filter which then got bought by Siemens. Anyway, it's the water treatment/softening companies you should be calling.

EDIT: Looks like Culligan does commercial in your area, so you should be set, but I'd still bracket it with a quote or two from someone else.

oldmodman
01-12-2012, 10:18 PM
I have the larger of the CR units and have had very good luck with it.

But I did "modify" it slightly. I use a smaller "pre filter" with the same resin. It really, really helps prolong the life of the resin in the CR spotless cylinders. I replace the resin in the smaller filter about every fifth rinse. And I use the CR water only for the final rinse.

And I am still looking for a bulk source for the resin. And I may have found one. A supplier of chemicals here in Los Angeles has 55 gallon cardboard drums of it. That's about three hundred pounds and the minimum order is three drums. I am actually considering it. It would end up costing appx $26.00 per refill. That is two of the large CR tanks. But what a huge investment and hassle.

Garry Dean
01-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Awesome. I will look into it.

Thanks for the help guys!