PDA

View Full Version : Side business for summer, recommendations

2001MineralGrayStang
02-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Hey guys I've been reading on the forums for a little while and have learned quite a bit and realized there are several guys on here that detail as a business. I've done my fair share but never for making money as my own business. So I was curious if the pros had some good recommendations for some products that can be efficently applied and still leave a professional result. I have an idea of my process but I'm looking for a GOOD all in one polish/sealant that'll remove most imperfections I'll deal with. And a polish that could remove maybe slightly rougher things. Also what should I look at as far as profitable but fair pricing. I really take my time on things and do them like I'd want my car done. Also I could use a little guidance for a good and quick shampooing process for carpets and upholstery. All help and suggestions are appreciated or any other must have product suggestions I'll take too. Thanks! BTW I'll be using the Porter cable.

nick19
02-28-2007, 12:33 AM
I hate to reply, and not give you any information, but when I get up in the morning, I will provide a nice write-up. (it's 12:30am here and time for bed)

And welcome, BTW.

Take care until then..

-Nick :cheers:

Nuke33
02-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Welcome yes way to late to write any indeepth thing lol

Whitethunder46
02-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Wow, where to start. Well I have a website up now, link is in my sig. I'm just starting this year as well. I have over 25 different products brandsI'm using. Not chemicals, but brands. Including MF's, lol. Anyways, I've done a lotttt of research and product research. All products that I'm using or tested are available as buk sizes (64 or 128 oz.) and are relatively cheap.

As far as your questions. I'm using Optimum poli seal as a polisher/finisher/sealant AIO. I have this as part of my "middle of the road" package. This polish is pad dependant I've been told, and some people get good results with a green pad. I've yet to give it a good all around test. (I believe PB's? has a new AIO that is supposed to be nice as well)

As far as compounds/polsihers... the XMT line works great and they all finish down LSP ready once you get the feel for them.

Carpets, I like to use APC+ 10:1 for basic interior cleaning. Folex for tough spots. I just got a nice carpet brush that I use for scrubbing. I may also pick up one of those aqua brushes that attach to the PC as well. I'm going to be using a Ridgid 4 gal. 5HP wet/dry vac for vacuuming.

As far as prices, most wash/vacs are gonna be similar everywhere you look. Mine are $30-40 depending on size. Where the price gets a little more separated is the full details. I have mine set at $150-200 but will take around 4-6 hours when until I get a really good rythm going. Experienced detailers that have been around more I see usually charge upwards of 250-350.

I also have a few other packages available, such as my "new car upgrade" package which can be added to any package. Take a look at my website to find out more on my prices and such. Hope this helps.

nick19
02-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Hey guys I've been reading on the forums for a little while and have learned quite a bit and realized there are several guys on here that detail as a business. I've done my fair share but never for making money as my own business. So I was curious if the pros had some good recommendations for some products that can be efficently applied and still leave a professional result. I have an idea of my process but I'm looking for a GOOD all in one polish/sealant that'll remove most imperfections I'll deal with. And a polish that could remove maybe slightly rougher things. Also what should I look at as far as profitable but fair pricing. I really take my time on things and do them like I'd want my car done. Also I could use a little guidance for a good and quick shampooing process for carpets and upholstery. All help and suggestions are appreciated or any other must have product suggestions I'll take too. Thanks! BTW I'll be using the Porter cable.

All of the products here are top-of-the-line.

Good AIO polish-

PB's Polish with Sealant
Optimum Polish
WG Polish Enhancer
Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing lotion

Klasse AIO is a good acrylic polish, best used when followed up by a sealant, although the cleaning abilities are some-what limited.

Also, take a look at XMT #2, Optimum Poli-Seal, Meg's #83, Pinnacle twins.

As for swirls and scratches, look at the XMT line, PB's line, Meg's line, Pinnacle, WG. With heavy polishing, you will want to use a Finishing Glaze, and there are many out there.

Pricing- depends on your competition. How many detailers are out there. What's your location? Who do you want to market to? Do you want to do mobile, which includes water and power?

Depending on your location, and who you market to, services offered, etc. you can make $60+ hr. For some difficult polishing, I have had a few customers shell out $60/hr for two days. I won't work myself to death, and will work two days (two 6-hr days if required) instead. If you hit the nail on the head right, customers will shell out whatever it takes.

For carpets, I'd go with Meg's Super Degreaser, Meg's APC, Meg's APC+ followed up by diluted Woolite, 10:1. Get a good brush and towel, and go to work.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I decided to try and answer your question as quickly and complete as possible. Let me know if you need anything else.

Good nite..

-Nick :cheers: