PDA

View Full Version : Quick wiper question

newb001
01-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Sorry, I know there are other posts on this but I need a quick response if possible. My wife just called me from the pouring rain saying the rear wiper in our Q5 is really dragging across the window/not working well, and the rear fluid isn't working.

It's going to take me several days to order a new blade/fix the fluid problem.

In the meantime, of the following products, would you recommend that I use any of them on the blade to try and 'soften' it up:

Optimum Power Clean
Optimum Opti Clean
Klasse AIO
Ultima Interior
1z Cockpit Premium
Kristall Klar washer fluid concentrate
or is there anything OTC that I could try?

Unfortunately all of my other detailing supplies are packed away for the winter and not easily acceptable.

Thank you!

MK6Jetta
01-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Could just be a build up of junk on the blade. Soak a rag in some windshield fluid and clean the blade really well. Might resolve the problem. As for the sprayer not working......................

newb001
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Could just be a build up of junk on the blade. Soak a rag in some windshield fluid and clean the blade really well. Might resolve the problem. As for the sprayer not working......................

Good suggestion, thanks!

Setec Astronomy
01-12-2012, 10:39 AM
I'd try some KAIO on the glass. If you're really wanting to "soften" the blade, the 1z Cockpit Premium would seem to be the only product on your list. Can't you pick up a new wiper OTC? (IMO it will still help you to KAIO the glass).

EDIT: Yeah, cleaning the blade with a towel (paper or otherwise) and some glass cleaner or APC is always a good idea.

newb001
01-12-2012, 10:45 AM
I'd try some KAIO on the glass. If you're really wanting to "soften" the blade, the 1z Cockpit Premium would seem to be the only product on your list. Can't you pick up a new wiper OTC? (IMO it will still help you to KAIO the glass).

EDIT: Yeah, cleaning the blade with a towel (paper or otherwise) and some glass cleaner or APC is always a good idea.

Another good idea, thanks (I must not be thinking clearly today, must be the weather...).

I'll try cleaning the window (with Stoner's glass cleaner that I just realized I have) and try the KAIO afterwords. I don't think it's that easy to find the specific Q5 rear wiper OTC (I could be wrong). I've only found 1 place online that has it (the front wipers I can get many places, i.e. Amazon, but the rear wiper not so much...). I'll check with my dealer as well.

ShaunD
01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
+1 on cleaning wiper with washer fluid and/or OPC then treating it with a vinyl/rubber treatment/protectant. Clean the glass then clay it, and put a layer of KAIO or some RainX on the glass. Have you checked that the washer line didn't come off from the pressure building up due to nozzles freezing?... Happened to me and I kept trying to thaw out the washer reservoir when it was the line that had popped off.:)

newb001
01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
+1 on cleaning wiper with washer fluid and/or OPC then treating it with a vinyl/rubber treatment/protectant. Clean the glass then clay it, and put a layer of KAIO or some RainX on the glass. Have you checked that the washer line didn't come off from the pressure building up due to nozzles freezing?... Happened to me and I kept trying to thaw out the washer reservoir when it was the line that had popped off.:)

Thanks. I'll check the wiper/washer line when my wife gets home. I'm sure hoping it's something simple...

umi000
01-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Another good idea, thanks (I must not be thinking clearly today, must be the weather...).

I'll try cleaning the window (with Stoner's glass cleaner that I just realized I have) and try the KAIO afterwords. I don't think it's that easy to find the specific Q5 rear wiper OTC (I could be wrong). I've only found 1 place online that has it (the front wipers I can get many places, i.e. Amazon, but the rear wiper not so much...). I'll check with my dealer as well.

Can't you just replace the rubber insert? Not sure about over there, but here in the Philippines, any hardware store has rubber inserts for wiper blades - which you can just cut down to the correct length - for sale.

Setec Astronomy
01-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Can't you just replace the rubber insert? Not sure about over there, but here in the Philippines, any hardware store has rubber inserts for wiper blades - which you can just cut down to the correct length - for sale.

Ha ha...if only it was that simple...over here we used to be able to buy wiper refills...now we have to buy the whole blade...and most of them stink, anyway.

umi000
01-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Hmmm, guess it's another way for companies to get more money out of the consumer huh? Never thought that wiper insert refills would be hard to find in a different country...

AKmikeSSter04
01-12-2012, 12:35 PM
I bought a can of Rainguard, I think that's the name? It comes in a small green aerosol can. It works great, just a tad better than rain x. You spray it on and wipe it off. When you replace the wiper blade you can also wipe it off that way.

AKmikeSSter04
01-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Oops, I was replying to the wiper thread from my phone, sorry moderators.

soloz2
01-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Alcohol wipes from your drug store work great for cleaning rubber wipers. 303 makes a special wiper treatment, I haven't tried it though.

For replacement wipers go silicon! PIAA are great, Silblade are less expensive and work well too. I can't comment on their longevity yet though.

AKmikeSSter04
01-12-2012, 12:38 PM
LOL, sorry again, didn't realize this was page 2.

Flash Gordon
01-12-2012, 01:28 PM
My wife just called me from the pouring rain saying the rear wiper in our Q5 is really dragging across the window/not working well, and the rear fluid isn't working.

Tell her to turn it (rear wiper) off ;)

Oops, I was replying to the wiper thread from my phone, sorry moderators.

LOL, sorry again, didn't realize this was page 2.

:whs: