PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Tornador Black and Air Foamer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
01-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone has used the Tornador or Tornador air foamer (or something equivalent) and if so how do you like it?

Also i was wondering how much CFM do you need? Can this be used with a little pancake compressor for us mobile detailers or is this more of a shop tool?

A-train
01-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Im not sure of the smallest compressor you can run it on but a buddy just got one and he uses 4 hp 20 gallon 6.9 cfm @ 80psi.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Also i was wondering how much CFM do you need? Can this be used with a little pancake compressor for us mobile detailers or is this more of a shop tool?
Judging by my 6 gallon(2.5 CFM @ 90 PSI), I'd say no. You should use a compressor with 5 CFM @ 90 PSI, and a larger tank. My compressor comes on quickly. :dblthumb2:

WRAPT C5Z06
01-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Im not sure of the smallest compressor you can run it on but a buddy just got one and he uses 4 hp 20 gallon 6.9 cfm @ 80psi.
Which compressor is that?

feslope
01-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Judging by my 6 gallon(2.5 CFM @ 90 PSI), I'd say no. You should use a compressor with 5 CFM @ 90 PSI, and a larger tank. My compressor comes on quickly. :dblthumb2:That is what the standard one calls for. The newer Black Tornador needs 9.5 CFM at 90p psi. I won one last year at Detailfest and I have not been able to use it yet. Bigger compressor coming next summer.

Stephan
01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
I have wanted the Tornador Black for quite some time but I am having a hard time justifying it based on the cost of the air compressor that is needed for it. The cheapest one I have been able to find so far is $600 and it will do 10cfm @ 90 psi. However most of these are either gas compressors or the one I found requires a 230V AC single phase electrical circuit. It can not be run from a generator, inverter or transformer connected to 120V AC. So it looks and sounds like a great product but it seems to require so much to make it work.

A-train
01-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Which compressor is that?

its a kobalt.

daveinsweethome
01-11-2012, 10:05 AM
will, i find it needs 90 psi and mine is the earlier model. this is one hell of a nice tool to have and the black one looks even better. that said i dont pull it out and set it up enough. with just a diluted cleaner it works remarkably. door jams and the mold around hatchbacks etc, not that you ever see that in arizona. ha

rockford33
01-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Judging by my 6 gallon(2.5 CFM @ 90 PSI), I'd say no. You should use a compressor with 5 CFM @ 90 PSI, and a larger tank. My compressor comes on quickly. :dblthumb2:

Mark,
I wonder if the problem is the cfm or tank size? Since your compressor only has 1/2 the required cfm, is that causing your compressor to come on more often?

I have been debating getting one of these. My Eaton compressor is rated at 6.5 cfm @ 90 psi, but it is only a 4 gallon tank. Not sure if it has enough muscle/capacity to run the tornador for any length of time.

-Neil

WRAPT C5Z06
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
I have been debating getting one of these. My Eaton compressor is rated at 6.5 cfm @ 90 psi, but it is only a 4 gallon tank. Not sure if it has enough muscle/capacity to run the tornador for any length of time.

-Neil
Hi Neil,

That's a very good question. I have no idea. Hopefully, someone who knows will chime in.

That's a ton of CFM for a 4 gallon tank!

rockford33
01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah, it is pretty much all motor! I think the motor is as big as the tank itself. Not very portable though, but is on a wheeled dolly. And it was less than $200 shipped :D

-Neil

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
01-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Wow...9.5 CFM...this thing eats up more than a HVLP sprayer. I agree that its hard to justify the cost unless you are buying it as a hobby tool to use at home or you have an actual shop with a huge compressor set up (stand alone type). I really can't see getting ANOTHER monster compressor to toss in the back of the trailer to haul around with me just to use the silly lil tornador...we've been making interiors super clean without one so far...im sure we can continue to do so.

Stephan
01-11-2012, 11:25 AM
One of the issues is a large compressor like this even if you find one that is portable and its electric you need a 220 source. And because of what it draws at startup I doubt it will run off a generator. So you would then have to get a gas compressor. What I find funny is in the description of the product it says you only need 9.5 cfm...only 9.5? I have wathced several videos of this tool used for cleaning and its impressive, but its such a huge requirement.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Wow...9.5 CFM...this thing eats up more than a HVLP sprayer. I agree that its hard to justify the cost unless you are buying it as a hobby tool to use at home or you have an actual shop with a huge compressor set up (stand alone type). I really can't see getting ANOTHER monster compressor to toss in the back of the trailer to haul around with me just to use the silly lil tornador...we've been making interiors super clean without one so far...im sure we can continue to do so.
Agreed.

That's a ridiculous amount of CFM for the Tornador!

WRAPT C5Z06
01-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah, it is pretty much all motor! I think the motor is as big as the tank itself. Not very portable though, but is on a wheeled dolly. And it was less than $200 shipped :D

-Neil

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
I just looked up an Eaton 2HP 20 gallon portable electric. 6.5 CFM @ 90PSI. Only $390 shipped! I may pull the trigger!