PDA

View Full Version : Repaint problem

Silv03
01-10-2012, 07:53 PM
About two years ago my trucks paint was keyed 360 pretty bad , So I had it repainted OEM black with a touch of blue pearl came out very nice. So here's the problem, 6-7 months after the repaint I notice every key scratch appearing through , like some sort of indent but under the clear. Any ideas what could of caused this to happen? I was told by a friend that the prep was bad and the product used had shrunk. I plan to take it back to the shop, but want to educate myself first.

It's hard to capture with a camera , but very noticeable in person. Basically above the light is what I'm talking about.
http://img.tapatalk.com/4bd1bca0-dd9c-1c0b.jpg

Thanks,
Daniel

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

toycar18
01-10-2012, 08:00 PM
It is bad prep work.

They probably painted over the previous paint instead of removing and starting from scratch.

If they sanded everything correctly or added a filler to the scratch it would be gone.

Silv03
01-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Can wet-sand and buff fix this or repaint?

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

toycar18
01-10-2012, 08:35 PM
First off - I'm not an expert.

Adding more paint is going to do nothing. That is what was done in the first place.

It has to be removed through sanding. Which wasn't done at the body shop. They probably didn't see it or didn't take the time and check to make sure all imperfections were gone before painting. They may have even thought it was light enough a repaint would fix.

It probably needs to be sanded until it is gone which may involve going down to the metal. Then primed and painted.

It is a bad prep work. Your friend is right. Body shops do that crap all the time.