PDA

View Full Version : Terry Cloth ???

Meticulous-Detail
01-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Besides cleaning pads on the fly what are some other good uses for terry clothes?
It seems like the coarse cotton would be good for cleaning interior plastics and maybe for leather. Just checkin to see what other uses terry clothes are good for.

BobbyG
01-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Besides cleaning pads on the fly what are some other good uses for terry clothes?
It seems like the coarse cotton would be good for cleaning interior plastics and maybe for leather. Just checkin to see what other uses terry clothes are good for.

I use terrycloth towels for most of my heavy duty cleaning. Anything I use all purpose cleaner on, under the hood, door jambs etc....:props:

Vegas Transplant
01-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Aluminum polishing. Happy trails...

Matt
01-10-2012, 06:09 PM
I use terrycloth towels for most of my heavy duty cleaning. Anything I use all purpose cleaner on, under the hood, door jambs etc....:props:

:iagree:

Whenever I need more aggressive scrubbing/ cleaning power I use terry cloths. Microfibers just don't cut it on engine bays, door jams and wheels unless it's for the finishing touch.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
01-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Interior cleaning, engine bays, polishing metals, polishing paints by hand, buffing dressings, buffing metals

erobertson
01-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I take small pieces of terry cloth and compound like M105 to work deeper scratches out by hand. Use just a couple of fingers and keep the pressure over the scratch while applying generous amount of compound so the area stays wet. The terry cloth has a deeper bite and will level off the area much quicker. I'd definitely recommend lots of practice as it is very easy to instill swirl into surrounding areas if you don't pay attention to what you're doing. Works great for small area corrections or removing transfer paint from minor encounter with other vehicle doors, etc.

FUNX650
01-10-2012, 07:31 PM
I still use, for wax/sealant removal and buffing, terry towels/cloth that are:

-100% cotton [including the binding threads] meaning: No polyester or other materials anywhere!!
-And made by the "terry-weaving-method"

Note:That doesn't preclude my using: 100% made in Korea, terry-weave microfiber towels for the same purpose.

Other terry towels/cloth that are: Either made by the terry-knitted-method; or, contain other materials than 100% cotton; these are used for cleaning purposes other than on paint surfaces.

:)

Bob

Flash Gordon
01-10-2012, 07:35 PM

I use them to dry myself off http://www.autopia.org/forum/images/smilies2/bathbaby.gif

Kristopher1129
01-10-2012, 07:38 PM
The only time I bust out a terry cloth towel is when there's something real nasty in the cupholder, or compartments. Usually, if I take one out...I intent on throwing it out, ha.

I don't really like them for anything else. They tend to leave lint behind.

embolism
01-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I like using them for cleaning leather

weavers
01-10-2012, 10:26 PM
drying tires
leather, i find MF isn't agressive enought to really clean leather.
dry carpets after apc+brush
engine bay
greasy door jams....but will use MF on cleaner jams or high end cars.
spot cleaning.

terry cloth towel and megs ultimate compound in tight places, ie door handle.

ShineTimeDetail
01-10-2012, 10:55 PM
The only time I bust out a terry cloth towel is when there's something real nasty in the cupholder, or compartments. Usually, if I take one out...I intent on throwing it out, ha.

I don't really like them for anything else. They tend to leave lint behind.

Plus one! Too much lint! The only thing I like terry clothes for is attaching one to my VX5000 to clean leather!:dblthumb2: