PDA

View Full Version : For anyone that's good at troubleshooting stereo systems...

Pages : [1] 2

spike
01-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd post this problem, hoping that someone else may have experienced this and can help me figure out what's wrong with my stereo system.

The car is a 2005 Acura TL with all factory components (to my knowledge). I bought the car used. When I bought the car, I didn't have this problem with the stereo. It's something that has developed over time.

My problem is, there is a buzzing sound in the system when the radio or CD's are playing. It's constantly there, and when I accelerate I can hear the noise get more high-pitched and it's really noticable. But the funny thing is, the buzzing noise is only in the system when the ignition is turned on. If I just put the accessory on, the sound system is crystal clear.

So I took the car to a local stereo place, and he heard the noise, and he suggested that maybe my car battery was low or something like that (they really seemed like they didn't want to take everything apart to find the problem since it was a factory system). So I took the car to Advanced auto, and had the battery tested, and found out it was low. So I had it replaced with a new one, but buzzing problem is still there...

So next I took it to another place, and he heard the noise, but he had no idea what it could be. He suspects the amp, but replacing component-by-component just to rule out things by process of elimination could be really expensive for me. So, he basically said I should just live with it. But one thing he did was to look up if there were any TSB's on the 2005 stereo system, but there were none. And I DON"T want to go to the dealership anyway, because I can't afford the highway robbery that may occur...

From my research, a lot of web sites would say that I have a ground lost somewhere in the system. But, none of the stereo places I took it to thought that was the case, because I have a factory system and not after-market. I think my problem may be in the electrical system somewhere, but I really have no idea. So, I thought I'd post this in the hopes that someone else has had this problem and can point me in the right direction. I appreciate all the feedback I can get. It's soo annoying to have this problem with this great 10 speaker ELS surround sound system. It's supposed to sound wonderful, not crappy!!

:)

mbkite
01-10-2012, 07:13 AM
sounds like the alt you can ck it if you have a dvom volt meter
set the meter on ac pos lead to alt and neg lead to bat ground
see if you have any ac current i think 500 mv and lower are ok
any thing more you need an alt .. to double ck disconnect the belt
and run the engine ck for radio noise.

CarbonCrew
01-10-2012, 07:32 AM
I installed car stereos/alarms/etc for several years. When problems like this were encountered it was due to a poor ground. Something we called alternator whine. I would check your grounding locations in the engine bay first.

alko
01-10-2012, 08:22 AM
I installed car stereos/alarms/etc for several years. When problems like this were encountered it was due to a poor ground. Something we called alternator whine. I would check your grounding locations in the engine bay first.

:iagree:right away my first thought when I started reading this was that your ground is bad somewhere.

spike
01-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys! I had someone else say that this sounds like alternator whine to him too. So there is a ground in the engine bay? I have no idea where to find this. Do you guys have any idea? To be honest, I really don't have too much mechanical knowledge when it comes to cars, but I do know how to keep one clean!

mbkite
01-10-2012, 11:26 AM
To ck for noise on a ground the best tool to use is an oscilloscope .
ac current will be riding on top of dc

timaishu
01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Does the pictch change when you accelerate?

mikep288
01-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Did this start after any service you had done on the car?
How is the condition of the spark plug wires / any fraying or excessive wear?

spike
01-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Does the pictch change when you accelerate?

Yes, the pitch does change with acceleration.

Did this start after any service you had done on the car?
How is the condition of the spark plug wires / any fraying or excessive wear?

No, this didn't happen after any work. I really haven't gotten any work done on the car since I've owned it. Good question about the spark plug wires...I'll have to check them.

mbkite
01-10-2012, 05:23 PM
spark plugs and wires for radio noise was way yester year or decade

mikep288
01-10-2012, 05:37 PM
spark plugs and wires for radio noise was way yester year or decade

True, but you have to start somewhere and not everyone has an oscilloscope in their back pocket.

feslope
01-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Sounds like the diodes may be getting weak in the alternator. Pretty easy for an auto electric shop to diagnose and fix. This could be your warning of alternator failure.

Bigpat
01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Check grounds, i had a problem a long time ago similar to yours and there was a unit that electronic stores sold that i plugged in to reduce the noise, but that was a long time ago.

Mean SS
01-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd post this problem, hoping that someone else may have experienced this and can help me figure out what's wrong with my stereo system.

The car is a 2005 Acura TL with all factory components (to my knowledge). I bought the car used. When I bought the car, I didn't have this problem with the stereo. It's something that has developed over time.

My problem is, there is a buzzing sound in the system when the radio or CD's are playing. It's constantly there, and when I accelerate I can hear the noise get more high-pitched and it's really noticable. But the funny thing is, the buzzing noise is only in the system when the ignition is turned on. If I just put the accessory on, the sound system is crystal clear.

So I took the car to a local stereo place, and he heard the noise, and he suggested that maybe my car battery was low or something like that (they really seemed like they didn't want to take everything apart to find the problem since it was a factory system). So I took the car to Advanced auto, and had the battery tested, and found out it was low. So I had it replaced with a new one, but buzzing problem is still there...

So next I took it to another place, and he heard the noise, but he had no idea what it could be. He suspects the amp, but replacing component-by-component just to rule out things by process of elimination could be really expensive for me. So, he basically said I should just live with it. But one thing he did was to look up if there were any TSB's on the 2005 stereo system, but there were none. And I DON"T want to go to the dealership anyway, because I can't afford the highway robbery that may occur...

From my research, a lot of web sites would say that I have a ground lost somewhere in the system. But, none of the stereo places I took it to thought that was the case, because I have a factory system and not after-market. I think my problem may be in the electrical system somewhere, but I really have no idea. So, I thought I'd post this in the hopes that someone else has had this problem and can point me in the right direction. I appreciate all the feedback I can get. It's soo annoying to have this problem with this great 10 speaker ELS surround sound system. It's supposed to sound wonderful, not crappy!!

:)
Go to Radio Shack or Best But get a ground fault interrupter . That will fix the problem . About 10 bucks. Tommy

mikep288
01-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Talked to a friend who frequents an Acura forum, seems two of the more common causes for these symptoms are a failing HFL (Hands free link module) or the factory amplifier going south.
If you're willing to try, there are directions out on the web for removal of the HFL module connector (up around the dome lights/moonroof switch area) which may allow you to test and see if the noise goes away afterward.

Try googling: "tsb hfl 05-20"

Good luck!