PDA

View Full Version : Which wheel cleaner for...

Pages : [1] 2

LuxuryMobile
01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Which wheel cleaner would you use on uncoated aluminum that is pretty dirty.

Going to be doing a full makeover on a Miata to flip and sell. The wheels aren't terrible on the face but the barrels are rather dirty.

Any suggestions?

rider9195
01-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I think Sonax Full Efect, Mothers Aluminum Wheel Cleaner, and P21s are all safe for uncoated aluminum. I would check with whatever company you purchase from before hand just to be safe.

Flash Gordon
01-09-2012, 08:45 PM
On uncoated aluminum I use soap and water only. Then follow up with a metal polish. Its a very dirty and time consuming job

*Edit... Clay the wheels before polishing

rider9195
01-09-2012, 08:49 PM
On uncoated aluminum I use soap and water only. Then follow up with a metal polish. Its a very dirty and time consuming job

*Edit... Clay the wheels before polishing

:whs:

A pH balanced soap would be ideal as well.

LuxuryMobile
01-09-2012, 09:14 PM
If anyone is familiar with some Miata wheels, these have such a texture to them there almost porous. Let me try to get pictures. Soap and water put a dent in these unfortunately.

Flash Gordon
01-09-2012, 11:00 PM
If anyone is familiar with some Miata wheels, these have such a texture to them there almost porous. Let me try to get pictures. Soap and water put a dent in these unfortunately.

If their factory, I'm 99.999% sure their coated

I know the wheel you speak of. Do they have baked on brake dust?

LuxuryMobile
01-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Not on the face they don't, but on the inside they are real bad (brake dust)

They are factory, I want to think they are coated but the texture just makes me think differently. I could always use to Meg Wheel Brightener on the way inside barrel to test it...

Kristopher1129
01-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Sonax. I keep a 5 liter jug around just for that reason. That and painted rims.

Meticulous-Detail
01-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Griots HD Wheel Cleaner is another good choice.

Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner, Griots wheel cleaner, hd wheel cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-heavy-duty-wheel-cleaner.html)

Kristopher1129
01-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Griots HD Wheel Cleaner is another good choice.

Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner, Griots wheel cleaner, hd wheel cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-heavy-duty-wheel-cleaner.html)

Is it just me...or does that stuff smell identical to Ludens cough drops? lol

Meticulous-Detail
01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Is it just me...or does that stuff smell identical to Ludens cough drops? lol

Lol........your right. Maybe its the secrect ingredient.

Flash Gordon
01-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Will Sonax remove Baked on Brake Dust?

Sinbad
01-10-2012, 11:18 AM
If they are porous aluminum wheels, the best I found is Eagle 1 Mag Wheel Cleaner. It is very acidic but it cleans the Centerlines on my Camaro with ease.
It states not to use on polished or coated wheels, so it may not work in your application.

SRTSean
01-10-2012, 12:51 PM
If they are porous aluminum wheels, the best I found is Eagle 1 Mag Wheel Cleaner. It is very acidic but it cleans the Centerlines on my Camaro with ease.
It states not to use on polished or coated wheels, so it may not work in your application.

Huge +1 on this stuff for uncoated wheels. I had a car with uncoated, non-polished aluminum wheels and the Eagle 1 Mag cleaned them up brighter than anything else I've ever used. Just be sure to use it in a well ventilated area and I recommend wearing gloves because it is very acidic.

yoyo1111
01-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Sonax works pretty damn good.