PDA

View Full Version : Leather Help

Pages : [1] 2 3

nick19
02-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Hey guys, its been a while since I've posted. Moving and such is so hectic, and I've found some time for my car...finally.

Recently I've been involved in an organized football league, and after playing 40 minutes in the FL heat, grass stains and dirt stick to me.

My leather actually needs to be cleaned badly, as the previous owner never took care of it.

Soo.. now I have a nice dirt stain on my seat from football. Is there any leather cleaner that will clean a stain like this? The seats are cracked pretty badly as well.

I was considering "dyeing" the seats back to orignial color, but it seems to cost me around $100. I'd like to avoid doing that at this point.

Here's some pictures of the horrible stain now in my seat.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010155.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010153.JPG

Any ideas?

AUdakota
02-27-2007, 04:12 PM
tried just some APC, how long has it been on there?

Whitethunder46
02-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Yea, you could try some APC 10:1 if you have that on hand. Be careful to not soak it in the leather or scrub real hard because the dye could come out. Also any of the brand name leather cleaners on here (pinnacle, WG, etc.) might be worth a shot.

ScottB
02-27-2007, 04:14 PM
APC is likely going to dry out leather further. Use something like Pinnacles two step leather cleaner and then conditioner. If leather is very brittle and dry, after cleaning then use the Leathrique product.

nick19
02-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I have both APC and APC+

The stain has been on there for almost two days.

What brush, if any would you use? Is a MF ok? I haven't gotten around to CLEANING my leather. It's almost 11 years old, I've only conditioned it.

I usually condition once a month; would the leather still be dry? Its soft to the touch...

Whitethunder46
02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
I have both APC and APC+

The stain has been on there for almost two days.

What brush, if any would you use? Is a MF ok? I haven't gotten around to CLEANING my leather. It's almost 11 years old, I've only conditioned it.

I usually condition once a month; would the leather still be dry? Its soft to the touch...

A MF would probably be fine. I have this Vinyl & Leather Scrub Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html) coming with my next order.

I wasn't sure with the APC, if you did do this, be very careful at first, maybe a little test spot. Scott has had much more experience than I have so I'd take his word over mine.

nick19
02-27-2007, 04:34 PM
A MF would probably be fine. I have this Vinyl & Leather Scrub Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html) coming with my next order.

I wasn't sure with the APC, if you did do this, be very careful at first, maybe a little test spot. Scott has had much more experience than I have so I'd take his word over mine.

I have Meg's Leather/Carpet brush. Like 3/4 is a carpet brush, and 1/4 is a leather brush. Two different style bristles. Would this be safe?

I lack leather experience, as I've just conditioned it, because it IS pretty bad. I'll give it a whirl and see the outcome.

Is Pinnacles Leather Cleaner something that is "powerful" enough, if you will, to clean something like this?

Thanks,

-Nick :cheers:

chu
02-27-2007, 04:53 PM
The Woolite and Magic Eraser works really well. I would also try DP Total Interior Cleaner, an awesome product although its not leather specific. Just remember to condition after!

nick19
02-27-2007, 04:55 PM
I tried a LITTLE APC and it dried the leather right up. I first applied by MF, and not even worth trying with a brush. It actually looked better before. :( Good thing it was just a test spot, and not on a visable spot.

Before I make another purchase a few questions.

Which leather care is a better cleaner? Connolly Hide kit or Leatherique Kit? I'm leaning towards Leatherique, but I'd like to hear any opinions on either.

bennj
02-27-2007, 06:36 PM
nick, the dye from my black wool coat rubbed off on my arm rest, which is supposed to be leather, and on the seat back, which is leather. I used Klasse leather cleaner/protectorant. Took the stain right out with a little scrubbing with a mf pad, the car is new so I can't tell you what it would look like on older leather. From reading your other posts I know you'll get it out one way or another.

nick19
02-27-2007, 06:54 PM
nick, the dye from my black wool coat rubbed off on my arm rest, which is supposed to be leather, and on the seat back, which is leather. I used Klasse leather cleaner/protectorant. Took the stain right out with a little scrubbing with a mf pad, the car is new so I can't tell you what it would look like on older leather. From reading your other posts I know you'll get it out one way or another.

Thanks. Technique and persistance is key.

Now, I need to find something to safetly clean my leather.

-Nick :cheers:

Whitethunder46
02-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Since APC didn't work, what good leather cleaners are there to use then? Epecially cheaper ones that can be bought in bulk sizes.

nick19
02-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Since APC didn't work, what good leather cleaners are there to use then? Epecially cheaper ones that can be bought in bulk sizes.

Not even Meg's in bulk is cheap. No leather cleaner or conditioner is cheap. You should charge accordingly! I usually charge an extra $30-40 for conditioning, depending on size.

Whitethunder46
02-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Not even Meg's in bulk is cheap. No leather cleaner or conditioner is cheap. You should charge accordingly! I usually charge an extra $30-40 for conditioning, depending on size.

I have two, 12 oz. sample bottles of Megs cleaner/conditioner from their detailers line. I really love this stuff but have never tested it's cleaning abilities.

I also have Pinnacle leather conditioner which I offer as an upgrade for customer's if they so choose.

Still, I wander what would be a good cleaner to use on tough stains on leather, such as your situation.

nick19
02-28-2007, 12:11 AM
I have two, 12 oz. sample bottles of Megs cleaner/conditioner from their detailers line. I really love this stuff but have never tested it's cleaning abilities.

I also have Pinnacle leather conditioner which I offer as an upgrade for customer's if they so choose.

Still, I wander what would be a good cleaner to use on tough stains on leather, such as your situation.

I will be ordering the Leatherique kit sometime this week. Like always, I will do a review and post tons of pictures.

-Nick