PDA

View Full Version : Question about using wax

fordtruck
01-07-2012, 12:10 AM
After claying, polishing, gloss/sealing, then applying a good paste wax and letting it haze over -- Is there any reason to buff the wax rather then just wiping it to a shine with a microfiber clothe? What I'm getting at is if you buff the wax aren't you just spreading it thinner? By wiping it down to a shine don't you leave the most possible (thickest coating) wax on the surface of the vehicle? And won't it last longer the thicker it is? I know we are only talking thin verses thinner here (I don't mean to imply that the wax coating is thick). Thanks for your help.Feed back please

tw33k2514
01-07-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure I understand the difference between buffing off and wiping to a shine. Anytime you take a towel to hazed wax you are essentially buffing it off.

Am I missing something?

fordtruck
01-07-2012, 12:30 AM
What I meant by buffing was using a PC (or other similar machine) as opposed to hand wiping. I've seen some people say that the PC helps break down the wax for a better shine - I'm new here so have some patience please

embolism
01-07-2012, 12:42 AM
you'll find that it's easier and more efficient to remove wax by hand using a nice mf towel folding in half twice so you have 8 clean sides to work with.

I don't know too many geeks that use bonnets to remove their wax...

tw33k2514
01-07-2012, 12:55 AM
What I meant by buffing was using a PC (or other similar machine) as opposed to hand wiping. I've seen some people say that the PC helps break down the wax for a better shine - I'm new here so have some patience please

Ahh, gotcha!

Not a fan of machine removal myself. Removing my hand is much more efficient. Not to mention it takes a few bonnets to do a whole car because they get all clogged with product.