PDA

View Full Version : Ultrafina vs. PO85RD?

Pages : [1] 2

pcw25
01-06-2012, 10:34 PM
What's the difference between 3M Ultrafina and Menzerna PO85RD? Has anyone ever done a comparison between the two? The only reason why I'm debating this is because I don't want to drop $35 on 85RD.

P.S. My vehicle is a Honda Pilot, which has very soft paint IMO.

tw33k2514
01-06-2012, 10:38 PM
From what I hear Ultrafina is like 106FF. little more cut then 85RD, and finishes up nice. 85RD will finish a little better probably, but less cut. My guess, you will never tell the difference. Unless you super analyze the paint.

DARK HORSE
01-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Both work very well as a final polish, however Ultrafina seems to produce better results with a rotary, while 85RD will give you good results with a DA also....

alko
01-06-2012, 10:46 PM
this thread caught my attention...would you say that ultrafina can be used as a one stepper for correcting very fine swirls...and can you jump straight to a sealant?

tw33k2514
01-06-2012, 10:49 PM
this thread caught my attention...would you say that ultrafina can be used as a one stepper for correcting very fine swirls...and can you jump straight to a sealant?

They would have to be extremely light swirls for Ultrafina to make a dent. And yes, you can go straight to your LSP of choice.

pcw25
01-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the replies! I might just happen to buy both and maybe do my first review! :)

alko
01-06-2012, 10:55 PM
hhhmmm...I may need something with just alittle bit more cutting ability. I'm getting very very very fine swirls, which are more like straight lines, in my paint. Best way to describe it is think of a spiders web, more like the spiders silk laying in a straight line on the paint. I believe its being caused by ONR washes :-/

alko
01-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the replies! I might just happen to buy both and maybe do my first review! :)

Thats whats up man! Looking forward to it!

DARK HORSE
01-06-2012, 10:56 PM

Ultrafina has VERY little correcting abilities (it is a very fine polish), best used to jewel the paint. I use these types of polishes after correcting and polishing the paint; when most wouldn't think the paint could get any better. IMO this is the final step to bring that last little bit of shine out of the paint. I would definitely do an IPA wipe down, or an APC wash prior to LSP.

pcw25
01-06-2012, 10:58 PM
does AG offer samples of Menzerna products?

alko
01-06-2012, 11:00 PM
does AG offer samples of Menzerna products?

I was just looking at the samples, as I'm getting ready to place another order, and the only menzerna sample is the Power Finish PO 203

IID
01-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Both work very well as a final polish, however Ultrafina seems to produce better results with a rotary, while 85RD will give you good results with a DA also....

:iagree: 100% Tad.

Note to OP,85rd is a bit more oily than Ultrafina.If you would like a sample of either OR both,let me know.

DARK HORSE
01-06-2012, 11:02 PM
hhhmmm...I may need something with just alittle bit more cutting ability. I'm getting very very very fine swirls, which are more like straight lines, in my paint. Best way to describe it is think of a spiders web, more like the spiders silk laying in a straight line on the paint. I believe its being caused by ONR washes :-/

If you are getting very very very fine swirls (as you describe them) try a very fine finishing polish first (like Ultrafina or 85RD) if that doesn't work move up slightly in aggressiveness (something like m205).

pcw25
01-06-2012, 11:03 PM
I will think about it IID. Thanks.

DARK HORSE
01-06-2012, 11:05 PM
I was just looking at the samples, as I'm getting ready to place another order, and the only menzerna sample is the Power Finish PO 203

Power Finish is a great polish (with obviously more cut than Ultrafina or 85RD). It finishes well and may be just what you are looking for. Get the sample!