PDA

View Full Version : LSP Experiment fail?

Pages : [1] 2

ArkayoDeetayo
01-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Hello...so a couple of days ago I compounded/polished my car to a swirl free and made sure it was prepped and ready for LSP...then I used Eraser on the hood and divided the hood into 6 sections to see which LSP I would like best...it was between

1)naked
2)fuzion
3)col845
4)blklight+v7
5)megs goldclass
6)pete 53

I put it on yesterday...wiped off and let it cure for a day...

I went to inspect it today and all 6 sides looked the same... I couldn't tell a difference between all my LSPs...was I doing something wrong? or does it mean I can get the looks of fuzion from a Megs gold class tin?!

I tried it on a dark blue car if it matters.

alko
01-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It just sounds like the 5 products you are using are doing what they are intended to do. To truely get a drastic comparison, you may want to spit the hood in half and do a 50/50 comparison with two products. I think what also constitutes a good wax is the durability. These 5 products may have different durability and duration.

mjlinane
01-06-2012, 03:22 PM
You aren't the first to come to this conclusion. On DetailersWorld, Collinite 915 came in second to SwissVax and ahead of many other much more expensive waxes.

That is why you'll constantly hear it is 95% preparation.

embolism
01-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I bet manufacturers and distributors alike cringe when people do tests like these...

with the frequency that we forum members wax our cars, durability is really not that important...

if looks are basically all the same, then all that's left is price and ease of use.

at least there will always be a need for compounds and polishes...

TS656577
01-06-2012, 03:25 PM
yup, if the LSP is applied to a well prepped car, it'll be hard to find differences.

Audios S6
01-06-2012, 03:28 PM
These 5 products may have different durability and duration.

^^^^^^This. It depends what you are looking for in your LSP. Sounds like the looks are virtually the same in your eyes. What about water beading? Slickness? Durability? The wet look is important to me, but the slick feel of an LSP and seeing water glide off the car at highway speed always puts a smile on my face.

chevchenko
01-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Meg's gold class wax is not the chump many make it out to be.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
01-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Welcome to being in the "know"! Sooooo save your money on fancy pants waxes since as you just proved IT'S ALL IN THE PREP....

Case in point... When I was mobile I had just finished my last polishing step but the vehicle had no lsp. The owner comes into the garage and was floored at how beautiful his car looked and asked what wax I used... Of course, there was no lsp yet on the vehicle

Hello...so a couple of days ago I compounded/polished my car to a swirl free and made sure it was prepped and ready for LSP...then I used Eraser on the hood and divided the hood into 6 sections to see which LSP I would like best...it was between

1)naked
2)fuzion
3)col845
4)blklight+v7
5)megs goldclass
6)pete 53

I went to inspect it today and all 6 sides looked the same... I couldn't tell a difference between all my LSPs...was I doing something wrong? or does it mean I can get the looks of fuzion from a Megs gold class tin?!

ArkayoDeetayo
01-06-2012, 04:20 PM
thanks for all your replies...guess the SSII, Dodo blue velvet and purple haze are going to be removed from my "wish list" since I can get the same look (well prepped of course!) from a wally world's shelf'd Meg's gold class!

Again thanks for all your input ;)

Not going to lie though, I will still be tempted and drool all over when I see people review these "expensive" waxes...just need to put a sticky note on the top right of my computer to remind me that it was mostly due to the person's prep before they applied the wax ;)

and lastly, they all seem to bead the same, but I've noticed that ALL waxes/LSP bead very good first day to week...slickness is the same too as I just clayed before I did all those compounding/polishing steps...my rolled edged microfiber just glides across without any pull or drag

again thanks all, hope you all have a great 2012, (glad I learned this at the beginning of 2012 so I can save at the beginning of the year!)

RaskyR1
01-06-2012, 05:14 PM

1)naked
2)fuzion
3)col845
4)blklight+v7
5)megs goldclass
6)pete 53

Yep, we found the same when I hosted a training day back in '08 with 15-20 others viewing the paint.

On a well polished panel, LSP's add very little to the look and most cannot tell the difference based on looks alone. The most noticeable difference in looks that I see between LSP's is the "darkening effect" they have, and that can best be seen early in the morning or later in the evening with the sun low in the sky. At full overhead sun, they all looked the same to me and everyone else that looked at the panel.

IMO, when choosing an LSP, looks should be the least important, as they will all look good at the end of the day. I believe the mind tricks people into seeing something that's not really there, especially when there is a dollar value associated with it. Tests like the one the OP did also reassure why I feel over priced waxes like the for and five figure Vymol waxes are a complete waste of money.

For those who feel the high dollar Zymol waxes look better and are worth their outrageous cost, I challenge you to a blind test. Let myself or any other pro wax one panel on a black car with a $10k wax and the rest of the panels with various other waxes. Who thinks they can honestly pick out the $10k wax based on looks alone?

Just my $.02...or $2000 if you buy into the hype! ;)

Rasky

LegacyGT
01-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Rasky

Love it!

Focus on durability, ease of application & removal, and other important characteristics such as trim staining, ability to apply in direct sun, and other things that may be important to you.

ArkayoDeetayo
01-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Yep, we found the same when I hosted a training day back in '08 with 15-20 others viewing the paint.

On a well polished panel, LSP's add very little to the look and most cannot tell the difference based on looks alone. The most noticeable difference in looks that I see between LSP's is the "darkening effect" they have, and that can best be seen early in the morning or later in the evening with the sun low in the sky. At full overhead sun, they all looked the same to me and everyone else that looked at the panel.

IMO, when choosing an LSP, looks should be the least important, as they will all look good at the end of the day. I believe the mind tricks people into seeing something that's not really there, especially when there is a dollar value associated with it. Tests like the one the OP did also reassure why I feel over priced waxes like the for and five figure Vymol waxes are a complete waste of money.

For those who feel the high dollar Zymol waxes look better and are worth their outrageous cost, I challenge you to a blind test. Let myself or any other pro wax one panel on a black car with a $10k wax and the rest of the panels with various other waxes. Who thinks they can honestly pick out the $10k wax based on looks alone?

Rasky

very good points, thanks for sharing experiences, and I really agree that I don't think the "high dollar" waxes can be spotted in a blind test, I looked at the 6 panels in the sun, in a lighted garage at night, and at different angles, no difference whats so ever...starting to wonder why I paid so much for fuzion :( don't get me wrong I love the ease of use/removal but still it was pretty much the same to apply/remove with all the other waxes I used as long as you applied it thin...as far as durability, I apply once a month so all the waxes that claim long durability 3+ months, it doesn't matter for me as I reapply often, and as far as I can tell, all the waxes/sealants usually last at least the initial month, which is good enough for me. So I always thought we were paying the premium price for the looks but now I wonder whats the premium cost difference is for...much harder to find/rare ingredients they use in the wax?

alko
01-06-2012, 06:43 PM
^^^^^^This. It depends what you are looking for in your LSP. Sounds like the looks are virtually the same in your eyes. What about water beading? Slickness? Durability? The wet look is important to me, but the slick feel of an LSP and seeing water glide off the car at highway speed always puts a smile on my face.

I LOVE it when the car has been sitting in the rain and there are beads all over the hood...and yes...when you reach highway speeds its like a wave approaching the shore...*sigh*...ok wait...that sounded real dorky, but yes...I love watching the water dance all over my hood.

ArkayoDeetayo
01-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I LOVE it when the car has been sitting in the rain and there are beads all over the hood...and yes...when you reach highway speeds its like a wave approaching the shore...*sigh*...ok wait...that sounded real dorky, but yes...I love watching the water dance all over my hood.

I know what you mean...I sometimes walk outside in the rain just to watch my car bead...my family thinks I'm weird.

alko
01-06-2012, 06:48 PM
I know what you mean...I sometimes walk outside in the rain just to watch my car bead...my family thinks I'm weird.

Tell them to KYA....you're an AG!!!